• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

dragonflycafe

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2009
A nice Fodorite suggested I post on this site with my questions about where to rent in Sowal.

My family and I are planning a beach vacation to Florida this June and I am overwhelmed with the choices I see online. We were originally planning our family vacation to Cape San Blas --it still seems wonderful, but might want something with a few more things to do in case our super young kids get bored (horrors!). I hear that Sowal has the prettiest sand and water around. My husband and I will have our two young sons ages 7 and 2 1/2 plus my mother in law (for a few days) and perhaps an aunt.

We don't want something terribly built up and tacky with high rise after bland highrise (I have driven through Perdido Key and it gave me goosebumps from rubbing me the wrong way!) We like things upscale but it doesn't have to be so posh that it makes us uncomfortable with young kids. This sounds like a 'duh' but would love a hotel/inn/condo with especially beautiful scenery, landscaping and/or architecture. I also wouldn't mind having something with a kitchen so we don't have to eat out 3x a day. I have no preference between a hotel or condo. Nice pool would be good too. And we really want something on the beach so we can just jump out and go during the day and sit outside and watch the water after the kids are asleep in the evenings. So basically, I'm looking for Paradise, not too much to ask, huh? :)

If you know of any specific developments - or any specific condo units, cottages or hotels that you think might fit please let me know. Like I mentioned earlier there are so many rental sites and little towns in this area and feel a bit overwhelmed. Any links to unbiased reviews would help too.
Dragonflycafe

Last edited:

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
:welcome:

Try HighPointe in Seacrest -- nice pool, gulf front, great condos! Check out the HighPointe listings on VRBO. Great family resort.

We have a 3-bedroom home in the Seacrest Beach development with unobstructed & panoramic Gulf views, but we are across the street from the beach. Our development has a fantastic 12,000 square foot pool. They key is we are still wide open in June (surprisingly) and many gulf front places might be booked. So PM me if you are interested in more info about our place. But it is a 4-5 minute walk to the beach.

Good luck!

dragonflycafe

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2009
Where to Vacation in Sowal?

I also posted on the renters thread, but wanted to also post here so I can get as much info as possible in a short amount of time! Hope that's ok...

A nice Fodorite suggested I post on this site with my questions about where to rent in Sowal.

My family and I are planning a beach vacation to Florida this June and I am overwhelmed with the choices I see online. We were originally planning our family vacation to Cape San Blas --it still seems wonderful, but might want something with a few more things to do in case our super young kids get bored (horrors!). I hear that Sowal has the prettiest sand and water around. My husband and I will have our two young sons ages 7 and 2 1/2 plus my mother in law (for a few days) and perhaps an aunt.

We don't want something terribly built up and tacky with high rise after bland highrise (I have driven through Perdido Key and it gave me goosebumps from rubbing me the wrong way!) We like things upscale but it doesn't have to be so posh that it makes us uncomfortable with young kids. This sounds like a 'duh' but would love a hotel/inn/condo with especially beautiful scenery, landscaping and/or architecture. I also wouldn't mind having something with a kitchen so we don't have to eat out 3x a day. I have no preference between a hotel or condo. Nice pool would be good too. And we really want something on the beach (or at least a great beach view) so we can just jump out and go during the day and sit outside and watch the water after the kids are asleep in the evenings. So basically, I'm looking for Paradise, not too much to ask, huh? :)

If you know of any specific developments - or any specific condo units, cottages or hotels that you think might fit please let me know. I see so many pretty pictures but you never know when there is a Wal-Mart just out of frame! I would just like a very pretty, nice place to vacation in June! Like I mentioned earlier there are so many rental sites and little towns in this area and feel a bit overwhelmed and don't want to choose poorly. Any links to unbiased reviews would help too.
Dragonflycafe

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
:welcome: Dragonfly. Walton County has a building restriction of 50ft. in height, 40% of it is State Forest Preserve, wonderful rare dune lakes, and is an architectural delight to the senses. You've made the right choice. My advice would be to go the http://www.sowal.com main page and look at the different beach towns, like Rosemary Beach, Watercolor, Alys, Seagrove, Grayton, etc. http://discover30a.com/discover/guideto30a.asp

Beaches of South Walton Vacation Rentals
These are virtual tours broken up by beach town within Sowal.

Good luck and have funn looking!

Danny Burns

Beach Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
Inlet Beach
www.myspace.com
30A Resorts has many different types of accomodations, most with kitchens and pools, and most with gulf views and easy access, or are right on the beach. They rent all along 30A. They can arrange for everything...kayaks, bikes, food in the refrigerator...Ask for my wife, Marla. Look around the website and see if you can find something that suits your needs:
http://www.30aresorts.com/

Oh, and welcome to SoWal :D:welcome:

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
:welcome:

Dragonfly, based on your like of Cape San Blas I would recommend the Dune Allen area. It's very similar and there is a new condo. I can't remember the name of it, but it is directly across from the Stinky's Fish Camp complex and with little kids might be a tad on the noisy side. There are houses in that area and some condos, but most would be to the East in Gulf Place which is pretty kid friendly.

The only downside would be staying on one end of 30A and if you've never been here you'll definitely enjoy exploring. You may never be able to get your kids out of the Seaside Amphitheater.

Good luck, you'll be sold once you've been here.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
We don't want something terribly built up and tacky with high rise after bland highrise (I have driven through Perdido Key and it gave me goosebumps from rubbing me the wrong way!) We like things upscale but it doesn't have to be so posh that it makes us uncomfortable with young kids. This sounds like a 'duh' but would love a hotel/inn/condo with especially beautiful scenery, landscaping and/or architecture. I also wouldn't mind having something with a kitchen so we don't have to eat out 3x a day. I have no preference between a hotel or condo. Nice pool would be good too. And we really want something on the beach so we can just jump out and go during the day and sit outside and watch the water after the kids are asleep in the evenings. So basically, I'm looking for Paradise, not too much to ask, huh? :)

If you know of any specific developments - or any specific condo units, cottages or hotels that you think might fit please let me know. Like I mentioned earlier there are so many rental sites and little towns in this area and feel a bit overwhelmed. Any links to unbiased reviews would help too.
Dragonflycafe

When I read your message I immediately thought of the Watercolor Inn. No kitchen, but it fits your other criteria. There are also condos and houses for rent in Watercolor if you want a kitchen.

imasunbum

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2005
June Rental

We have a wonderful condo - The Villas at Seacrest overlooking the awesome 12,000 sq ft pool mentioned above. It is really nice on the balcony in the evenings and your kids would love the pool. It is across street from beach with a short stroll but most of my guests say it is more than worth the tradeoff of being across street to have the pool! You can check out my link Seacrest Beach Rental - Condominium or pm me. Good Luck!

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
See, dragonflycafe Sowal has so many nice people and will go out of their way to help you find the perfect place.!!!!

That was really nice of Suma :bow: to guide you here!!! :clap:

:chill: