• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Pirate

Beach Fanatic
Jan 2, 2006
Why would you need 10k in physical gold for the Goodwill store or the vegetable garden?

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
Upon reaching a financial comfort zone, spend on experiences...not "things."
I have to say I LOVE this statement. Can I put it on a t-shirt???:D
In terms of emergency funds, if you live down here or in some other hazard-prone area, keep the first $1,000 in an account where you can turn it into cash in less than 15 minutes' notice (ie. some sort of standard bank account where you can pull it out of an ATM) Because there may come a time when you really do need it that quickly.
I always keep cash hidden on my property somewhere...:D (wolley swamp)

Why are credit union cards better? I pay off the balance every month so interest rate is not a concern. Are there other benefits that make credit union cards more attractive ( custimer service, more cash back, better warranty coverage)?
I wonder this as well?? I pay my cards off so I avoid fees and I feel I get great points to use on merchandise. What do credit union cards offer that is better for me ??

You are back in Yankee land, aren't you? :D :wave:
That is what I was thinking...:rotfl:I have never had to put a deposit in on a grocery cart!!!:shock:

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
That is what I was thinking...:rotfl:I have never had to put a deposit in on a grocery cart!!!:shock:

Only had to once in New Jersey at a large grocery store.
I said Mahna Mahna. :lol:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I have to say I LOVE this statement. Can I put it on a t-shirt???:D

A T-Shirt is a "thing"...If you must, just print the statement on your chest with a Sharpie and use the $12 to rent a good movie, buy popcorn & soda and enjoy an evening with friends & family. :D

Last edited:

bdc63

Beach Fanatic
Jun 12, 2006
Md for now, but dreaming of SoWal
Damn, BDC, your dire predictions make mine look like a skip down Sugerplum Lane.

10K in physical gold for each person in your house?

Kinda makes my suggestion of just donning Tinfoil hats seem a bit impuissant.

Yeah, there is a real good chance that I read too much Peter Schiff, and definately need to stop tuning into Alex Jone's radio show. But If you know of any way for the US to reverse course and avoid this economic "perfect storm" ahead, I'd love to hear it. The oh mighty dollar is taking on water, and I fear that ship is going down.

If we get to a point where nobody wants to accept devalued dollars anymore, it just might be nice to have some gold coins in your pocket.

Last edited:

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Yeah, there is a real good chance that I read too much Peter Schiff, and definately need to stop tuning into Alex Jone's radio show. But If you know of any way for the US to reverse course and avoid this economic "perfect storm" ahead, I'd love to hear it. The oh mighty dollar is taking on water, and I fear that ship is going down.

If we get to a point where nobody wants to accept devalued dollars anymore, it just might be nice to have some gold coins in your pocket.
What's the better alternative to the dollar. Who has the perfect economy and currency. What country using the Euro has solid GDP growth? The doom/gloom thing is caused by mass emotion as much as fundamentals. Three quarters of our economy is determined by individual buying decisions influenced by the greed/fear tug of war.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005

I enjoy Peter Schiff too.

I think we have indeed hit on the fringes of economic meltdown--with more to come--and we'll see a lot of people financially crushed. The only thing I think will turn this ship around is a finance renaissance where a majority of folks decide they will no longer be slaves to debt, greed, want and "keeping up with the Jones'" (ala the hippy movement in the 60's).

There is currently a move away from McMansion-style housing--it is a start.

Capricious

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
"..But If you know of any way for the US to reverse course and avoid this economic "perfect storm" ahead, I'd love to hear it. The oh mighty dollar is taking on water, and I fear that ship is going down...."

"...I think we have indeed hit on the fringes of economic meltdown--with more to come--and we'll see a lot of people financially crushed. The only thing I think will turn this ship around is a finance renaissance where a majority of folks decide they will no longer be slaves to debt, greed, want and "keeping up with the Jones'" (ala the hippy movement in the 60's)..."

Geeez

I hate to be the optimist here but
I don't see this as armagedon but rather just part of
the continueing cycle of boom and bust that is an old, old
story in American finance.

Now, the bigger the boom, the bigger the bust. And we have
been through one heck of a big boom so we can expect one
god-awfull bust but at some point (don't know when) things
will get back to boom again.

Just a never-ending cycle of cycles.

A pendulum swings both ways.

(But I do not)

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Geeez

I hate to be the optimist here but
I don't see this as armagedon but rather just part of
the continueing cycle of boom and bust that is an old, old
story in American finance

That's the rub...it's not "Old American Finance" anymore--it's Global Finance now.

America pulled itself up by its bootstraps after the depression because we were an industrialized nation....that's gone. (Instead of manufacturing goods, we're now the global suppliers of debt.)

America was able to get over housing setbacks with just a few banks and individuals going under (because banks held the mortgage notes in-house)...that's gone.

Americans used to get by in bad times between jobs by living off their savings.....that's gone.

Americans used to work for a company for years and years and receive medical benefits and a pension....that's gone.

Financially speaking, THIS TIME--it REALLY is different. We're entering into uncharted financial territory. If America is going to pull out of this economic mess quickly, Americans are going to have to change lifestyles first.