• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
That map may actually be from a little earlier than 1939. Notice that the Intracoastal Waterway is not there. It was dredged/dug/constructed in 1936-1937. My mom's stepfather was captain of the dredge crew. Once that was finished, they were transferred to Michigan, which is where my mother graduated from high school. The next year, they came back to Point Washington to build the bay fill in preparation for construction of the 331 Bridge.

Emerald Drifter

Beach Fanatic
Jun 8, 2018
Santa Rosa Beach
That map may actually be from a little earlier than 1939. Notice that the Intracoastal Waterway is not there. It was dredged/dug/constructed in 1936-1937. My mom's stepfather was captain of the dredge crew. Once that was finished, they were transferred to Michigan, which is where my mother graduated from high school. The next year, they came back to Point Washington to build the bay fill in preparation for construction of the 331 Bridge.

ShallowsNole, I always look forward to your posts. You have so much historical knowledge of Walton County!

May I nominate you as somewhat/kinda official SoWal historian? Can I get a second? :)

And if you would start writing a blog, I think you would get a lot of readers. I'll make it easy for you: WordPress Blogs: How To Start A Free Blog (2018 Guide) (no pressure)

Do you know of when/where the first place(s) that had A/C in SoWal?

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
A frickin tragedy how Tucker Bayou was butchered and the entire Choctawhatchee Bay ecosystem was forever altered/ruined.

ZIP Code 32459  map and directions   Bing Maps.png

pw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Apparently data post-intracoastal dig had not been added. Originally Printed 1938, drainage and culture from aerial photos 1935-36, and survey data collected in 1927.

Garrett Horn

Beach Lover
Mar 2, 2017
So, you are saying this is essentially a 1927 map? We are still trying to find out when the bridge was built. Any clues?

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
ShallowsNole, I always look forward to your posts. You have so much historical knowledge of Walton County!

May I nominate you as somewhat/kinda official SoWal historian? Can I get a second? :)

And if you would start writing a blog, I think you would get a lot of readers. I'll make it easy for you: WordPress Blogs: How To Start A Free Blog (2018 Guide) (no pressure)

Do you know of when/where the first place(s) that had A/C in SoWal?