• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Charlie Hilton is a red flag for me, because he has a history of using political contributions to gain influence. His hold on the property appraisers office in Bay County is the most stark example.

Is there something he wants from the Sheriff? Who knows. The Sheriff sets a lot of policy regarding private beach issues, someone who has a self insured trust has a lot of financial exposure, the Sheriff will have a huge role in the foreclosure backlog. A Sheriff has a great deal of influence.

My point is this -- we hear about contributions being returned or refused in national politics all the time. Given Mr. Hilton's history, if I were running for office I would not accept his money. Particularly not if my campaign were this well financed, and I was receiving $500 contributions from students and bookkeepers.

This is an old southern campaign scam. All you have to do is go to someone and give them $500.00 cash and then ask them to write a check to the campaign. It's been going on for years and unfortunately it's a very easy way to funnel money into a campaign and a very hard way to track campaign fraud.

Having said that I'm not saying this is the case, it just throws up red flags when people of very limited means, especially in this economy, are dropping large donations in campaign coffers.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
So as long as the Sheriff is receiving bids on vehicles purchased, and the vehicles are needed, what would be the big deal?

Does anyone here think that Alys Beach will be treated differently by the Sheriff's Dept by their developer, Jason Comer, contributing the maximum amount to Adkinson's campaign? Again, we are talking about the Sheriff, not a County Commissioner.

SJ, I take back that statement, it has come to my attention the negotiation is done by the state and there's very little money in getting the contract.

SJ, I take back that statement, it has come to my attention the negotiation is done by the state and there's very little money in getting the contract.

No friend, I think you were right the first time. :clap: While it is true that the items local governments purchase are usually under a "state contract," the purchaser has great latitude as to whom the item is purchased from and the vendor makes a tidy profit from the sale. :yikes:This applies to everything from reams of paper, to computers, ink cartridges and yes, automobiles.;-) While the county has very precise rules as to how vendors are chosen and strict purchasing policies, lets just say the sheriff is not so "rule bound.":rotfl:Thus, a new sheriff can buy pencils to paddy wagons from whomever he chooses.:bang:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Since they gave $500 to both Mr. Adkinson and ralph, it makes one wonder if their platforms are simular or exactly what is going on doesn't it?:rofl::rotfl::funn::rotfl:

Just covering their bases, most likely. Though if I were covering my bases, there is at least one more contribution I'd make. :D

Joyce Johnson

Beach Crab
Jul 23, 2008
To answer the question as to my relationship to the sheriff Ralph Johnson, the answer is no. I may live in the county with the citizens but am not related to the current sheriff. Johnson is the 2nd most common name in the United States. namestatistics.com

My only reason for asking this question is will the sheriff work for the people of the county or for the person who donated the most to their campaign?

Don't underestimate the latitude that a county sheriff has. Look at the history of the sheriff's in the county.

I would just hope that people don't look at the contributions and think that the most money has the most citizen's support.

I am unclear why a Bay County resident would put that much money in a Walton County race.

After all of what I read about Hilton trying to buy the Bay County TDC positions and the other political position in Panama City Beach several years ago I just put the question out there.

We have discussed this in the office and thought we would put it in the So Wal and see what others thought. No malicious intent.:blush:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
My sincere thanks for replying, Joyce. You had me wondering the reasoning for your post when you left without another post.

One need not look further than Charlie Hilton's house in Seacrest to know that we cannot understand his reasons for doing what he does. His companies may have donated $2500 to Adkinson, but Adkinson's contributions are pretty high compared to the others, even without Charlie Hilton's money. I just don't see much reason to think that the Sheriff will be working for Charlie Hilton rather than the County.