• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
US National Weather Service Tallahassee Florida
Sunday August 29

Hurricane Ida will continue moving NW and make landfall in Louisiana today. While the center of the storm will remain well west of our region, we will feel impacts over the next few days.

As the rainbands from Hurricane Ida rotate through our region today a few tornadoes will be possible. Tropical cyclone tornadoes can be quick to spin up so be prepared to move to your safe place quickly!

Hazardous beach and boating conditions are expected today with dangerous rip currents and high surf of 6-9 feet at area beaches. In addition, minor coastal flooding is occurring.

Rainfall amounts of 2-5 inches with isolated higher amounts will be possible across the Florida Panhandle through Wednesday and this may lead to localized flash flooding. The heaviest rainfall is expected Tuesday and Wednesday.

FB_IMG_1630247857326.jpg

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
South Walton Fire District

DOUBLE RED FLAGS!!!

LIFE THREATENING SURF & RIP CURRENTS

WATER CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC STAY COMPLETELY OUT OF THE WATER!!!

$500 FINE FOR VIOLATORS OF WALTON COUNTY ORDINANCE SECTION 22-54(H)

HURRICANE IDA'S SURF IS HERE!!!

PLEASE DON'T PUT YOURSELF OR OUR LIFEGUARDS IN DANGER!!!

#staydrytoday

FB_IMG_1630249746031.jpg

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Surf is pounding here on webcams. I feel sorry for coastal LA for sure though theyre getting wiped out.

Althea352

Beach Comber
Dec 1, 2010
Santa Rosa Beach
Former 30A resident here. Moved to NOLA about 7-8 years ago. Today I am back here until it's safe to return.

Ive seen a lot of familiar faces the last few days and I just want to say THANK YOU. Everyone so far has been so welcoming and of the "let us know if there's anything we can do for you while you are here." I know it means a lot to me and the many others who are temporarily here.

Its weird waking up and not being sure of what/when/where/how. Today my goal is to try to get organized so help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
It is hard to believe New Orleans was walloped on Katrina's anniversary. Folks over there are going to be without water and power for quite awhile. Evacuees are being told not to return to the city.

Thankfully, there have been no reports of widespread flooding in the city, which is a major difference from Katrina.

Power is completely out in the city and in nearby suburbs. It is estimated that electricity restoration could take weeks.

"I've been here for every storm since 1957," St. Charles' Parish Sheriff Gerg Champagne said. "In my adult life, these are the most severe conditions that I've seen."

See Photos on NOLA.com >

As locals know, we already have a housing shortage in SoWal - please be patient and welcoming for Louisiana residents headed our way, or already here.