• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Seasider

Beach Lover
Nov 27, 2004
Forcing developers to build affordable housing does not necessarily solve the problem. What happens on the resale of the affordable units? Do they stay affordable? Or do they adjust to market values? Perhaps a development, north of 98, with adequate density, could be built affordably if land could be acquired at a reasonable price, and if the county granted favorable entitlements. The homes would need to be deed restricted so that resale of the properties would be limited to a non-profit "housing authority" at a predetermined, indexed price. This non-profit group would also have to qualify the buyers to ensure that the housing is going to workforce buyers and not second homeowners or retirees, all without violating the Fair Housing Act.

Santiago

Beach Fanatic
May 29, 2005
seagrove beach
Seasider said:
Forcing developers to build affordable housing does not necessarily solve the problem. What happens on the resale of the affordable units? Do they stay affordable? Or do they adjust to market values? Perhaps a development, north of 98, with adequate density, could be built affordably if land could be acquired at a reasonable price, and if the county granted favorable entitlements. The homes would need to be deed restricted so that resale of the properties would be limited to a non-profit "housing authority" at a predetermined, indexed price. This non-profit group would also have to qualify the buyers to ensure that the housing is going to workforce buyers and not second homeowners or retirees, all without violating the Fair Housing Act.
I've been waiting for someone to see the light regarding this issue. Unless everyone is talking about rental units with subsidized rents, this dog won't hunt. If I'm this $12.50 an hour dishwasher that I keep reading about on here, I'm going to relist the house before the ink drys on my mortgage. That's an easy way for this low income earner to make some real money for a change. If anyone thinks that our county government is smart enough to figure all of this out, I've got a lot in Sowal that I want to sell you where you will double your money in 6 months. Trust me.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Santiago said:
I've been waiting for someone to see the light regarding this issue. Unless everyone is talking about rental units with subsidized rents, this dog won't hunt. If I'm this $12.50 an hour dishwasher that I keep reading about on here, I'm going to relist the house before the ink drys on my mortgage. That's an easy way for this low income earner to make some real money for a change. If anyone thinks that our county government is smart enough to figure all of this out, I've got a lot in Sowal that I want to sell you where you will double your money in 6 months. Trust me.
Typically, with affordable housing, all net proceeds from resales within a certain time from purchase, like two years, go back into the affordable housing kitty, otherwise what you describe would happen. I do think you may be on target suggesting rental units to help solve this problem, but I know of no developer around here who wants to own management property, especially low income rental units. I cannot see the County getting into that business either.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
Typically, with affordable housing, all net proceeds from resales within a certain time from purchase, like two years, go back into the affordable housing kitty, otherwise what you describe would happen. I do think you may be on target suggesting rental units to help solve this problem, but I know of no developer around here who wants to own management property, especially low income rental units. I cannot see the County getting into that business either.

That's the way I heard these schemes work too. Usually the person has to jump through a bunch of hoops to qualify and then doesn't own the rights to take full profit on the sale of the house until after living in the unit for 3 years. I'm sure the program comes with lots of administrative headaches and the county won't want their fingerprints on that train wreck if they can avoid it.

Right now the county has its hands full keeping the developers happy--developers want MAXIMUM profit with no restrictions. Once the developers are through with the area, it will then be up to the business owners to lean on the county to do something about workforce housing--by then it may be too late.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
I think this thread is discussing owning or renting. Rentals/Apartments would be far easier to pull off given the inherent density.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
[font=Verdana,Arial]Builders fight affordable housing measure[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial][font=Verdana,Arial]TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- March 1, 2006 -- Home builders sued the city Tuesday to strike down a policy requiring them to include affordable housing in their developments because it would drive up overall housing costs, a representative said.[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial]The Florida Home Builders Association sued in Leon County's Second Judicial Circuit Court to stop the city's inclusionary housing ordinance from continuing.[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial]The city commission enacted the law in October to increase affordable housing for its workers. Under the law, builders must sell 10 percent of developments with 50 or more homes at a discount price, using a sliding scale that's based on what the buyer can afford, but for no less than about $160,000, and no more than close to $360,000.[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial]Builders claim the measure raises costs by forcing buyers who pay full price for homes to subsidize affordable housing units.[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial]''Somebody's gotta pay for that cost, otherwise I can't afford to go to work every day. If I can't afford to go to work, there's no housing,'' said Tallahassee remodeler Ed Dion.[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial]So far, only Tallahassee has adopted the measure, but at least three counties and two other cities in Florida are considering similar policies, said Edie Ousley, the association's spokeswoman.[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial]City Attorney Jim English said the group's allegations were unfounded.[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial]''It was really ironic to me that, in this time period, where builders and developers and real estate agents have enjoyed unprecedented sales and unprecedented revenues and profits, that they would be challenging this really simple opportunity to provide workforce housing,'' English said.[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial]Moreover, the law provides trade-offs for affordable housing builders, said Wayne Tedder, who directs the joint Tallahassee-Leon County planning department. For example, builders get permits to build extra full-priced units on a property, or gain exemptions from roadway improvement rules on new developments.[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial]One affordable housing advocate said the association is reacting prematurely and should wait to see the effects of the law.[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial]''I believe they're having a knee jerk reaction to inclusionary housing as it's been implemented in other parts of the nation,'' said Jamie Ross, spokeswoman for 1000 Friends of Florida, which is a non-profit group running affordable housing programs. ''I think they've heard horror stories from other areas that are not based in fact.''[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial]Ross said more than 200 cities in the U.S. have inclusionary housing laws.[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial]Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. By Andrea Fanta, Associated Press writer.[/font]
[/font]

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
SJ,
Thanks for the info and link. It is good to hear this process is in the works.
Can you further describe the state's "unwanted land"?
Rita