• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
hutch said:
If you have to use a dial-up services, try using Netzero, or Netscape both companies offer fast dial-up and Netzero is FREE for only 10 hours usage per month. What a deal. Just go to their web site, download and install. I use Netzero when I travel and some the hotels in remote areas do not have wireless services. I had no trouble finding local access number. Great for only surfing the web and pulling emails. Not for download music or large files.

the hutch

This sounds fantastic. Is there any catch? We only go to the cottage about 5-6 times a year and certainly don't spend that much time on the Internet when we're on vacation, so we wouldn't need more than 10 hours a month. All we'd need to do is check and send email and do a little web surfing.

hutch

Beach Lover
Paula- The only catch with the free 10 hours per month you have to deal with the ads that come up on your screen. Go to http://www.netzero.net
and download the software for the Free 10 hours service. Warning it is hidden in the small box on the front page. They are hoping people will sign up for the $9.95 per month unlimited service. I noticed they have a special for 12 months at $6.95 per month for unlimited service. The speed is pretty good for a dial-up. And they do have local access number here in our area. When I am in North Georgia mountains, I have to use an Atlanta number which is long distance, but still cheaper than Earthlink or AOL.

Hope this helps.

the hutch

OhioBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
MidWest OH
Beach Runner said:
I keep picking up my neighbor's wireless at my primary residence. I get a stronger signal from his than mine, and our lots are fairly large. I went wardriving just for grins on Saturday. Every neighbor had a wireless except for the rich old biddy next door.
I'm still amazed at the number of folks who just drop those things in their homes (particularly when latched onto a high speed internet channel) without even the most fundamental security... :shock:
Beach Runner said:
We can pick up several neighbors' wireless networks at the beach as well, but I disable my wireless card for security reasons. I have some smart neighbors at the beach; my neighbors in GA just have money and aren't very tech-savvy, so I don't need to worry about security with them.
You can set up a separate (bootable) partition with just the OS, browser, AV and firewall - no critical data - for use when you're mobile. As long as you're not moving any of your own data about - just general browsing, not much risk... :D

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
hutch said:
Paula- The only catch with the free 10 hours per month you have to deal with the ads that come up on your screen. Go to http://www.netzero.net
and download the software for the Free 10 hours service. Warning it is hidden in the small box on the front page. They are hoping people will sign up for the $9.95 per month unlimited service. I noticed they have a special for 12 months at $6.95 per month for unlimited service. The speed is pretty good for a dial-up. And they do have local access number here in our area. When I am in North Georgia mountains, I have to use an Atlanta number which is long distance, but still cheaper than Earthlink or AOL.

Hope this helps.

the hutch

Hutch:

This is very helpful. I'll try the wireless at Alys Beach coffee shop since they're only about 1/4 mile from us and also netzero. I'll check with the Helpdesk where I work to hear what they say about netzero since they end up having to solve any problems on my computer if I do anything that gets me in computer trouble! Again, thanks for the very useful information. It will be all that I need.

Best,
Paula
(PS: Starsky and Hutch was one of my favorite TV shows growing up, along with the Man From Uncle)

katie blue

kt loo
Mar 11, 2005
in perpetual motion
We use a company called 550access.com. It's 5.50 a month for about 160 hours of usage, which we never come close to. It has a local seagrove (231-xxxx) exchange. Dial up. Gets decent throughput usually, less so in the busier summer months. But it's cheap, and has nationwide numbers for when we travel.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
Paula said:
Hutch:

This is very helpful. I'll try the wireless at Alys Beach coffee shop since they're only about 1/4 mile from us and also netzero. I'll check with the Helpdesk where I work to hear what they say about netzero since they end up having to solve any problems on my computer if I do anything that gets me in computer trouble! Again, thanks for the very useful information. It will be all that I need.

Best,
Paula
(PS: Starsky and Hutch was one of my favorite TV shows growing up, along with the Man From Uncle)

Paula,

You can come sit on my front porch--or on my living room couch. We have a wireless router.

CCK

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I'm just curious as to what I can get in PtWash, as my dial-up is making me crazy and we have no DSL...no Mediacom, no Earthlink, no nothing.

I'm looking into satellite internet, but you have to get several hundred dollars in equipment and I don't want a third dish in my yard.

Any suggestions?

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Gee, thanks, CCK. That's very nice of you! One of these days when we get to be lucky enough to spend more time there, we'll be getting wireless, too (that's about 7 years away). And you can always come sit on our porch when we're there and have a lemonade or scone or something. I like to make scones and bring my home-made peach jam when I'm at the beach.

And our Helpdesk at work said that Netzero is fine (I don't do anything without clearing it with our helpful helpdesk first), so I'll give that a try, too.

Have you been to the newspaper shop at Alys beach. How's it coming?

hutch

Beach Lover
Paula- Glad to hear your tech group approve my suggestion of Netzero. I see you live in MI. I have a cousin that lives in Troy, but I think the car rental company is still looking for my rental car in Detroit the last time I visit her. It fell into one of those big---- holes in the road and never was seen again. Why don't they fix those roads? As you can see wireless is great, but you need to protect your systems with a Firewall at all time. Good idea to have a firewall for any broadband connections. You would not leave your house unlock would you? Use Netzero, it's free and stay home and enjoy a cup of coffee in the mornings pulling your emails. Glad to help.

the hutch