• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

dunelover

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
Oklahoma girl
www.thebeamstore.com
I constantly wonder about the level of instruction and socialization skills home schooled kids get. I'm not saying that it isn't a good option for a few rare kids, but IMO it doesn't teach kids the wide variety of skills they need for life and I wonder how much it really teaches them in general.

I don't think education should stop when the bell rings at the end of the school day, and that parents need to supplement their kids learning, but I don't think home schooling is the way to go as a primary source of education.

Socialization is the first complaint of many people. Our kids are still in social situations that many are not. They play organized sports. They are active in their churches. They still have friends and sleepovers. We meet with a smallgroup of friends and kids once a week. Many people find that homeschool kids actually relate better w/ all ages of people than public school kids.

Sadly, for so many kids learning does stop when the bell rings. Many kids only see their parents a couple hours a day. That doesn't leave time for much.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
The socialization aspect is always something I would worry about, since an important part of being in school is learning to interact in a group setting and learning the basic rules of life. Sometimes I think parents try to make the school situation fit their child, when maybe more of a compromise is needed. After all, when these kids become adults, the world is not going to stop for them so they better learn early on how to adjust and go with the flow and get along with all types of people.

I do know some fantastic home schooled kids here, and the reasons they are home schooled are good ones. I personally could never home school my kids because I don't have the self-discipline, and I also want my kids to have the opportunity to be with lots of different kids.

I have a feeling that families who are serious about homeschooling cover all of this and more as part of the child's blend of education and life experiences. I believe that the advantages of homeschooling would be many, such as to provide your child invidualized instruction and attention. Children learn at their own pace, are allowed to advance when they are ready, and parents can present information and material according to the child's interests and learning style. other advantages include: hands on learning, flexiblity in schedule, travel, and regular community participation.

Whether to homeschool or not all depends on the parent and how much they are willing to give the child as well as how much they are willing to give up (job, career, time to self, etc). Consider all the learning materials, field trips, outside activities (music, dance, sports), special projects, etc. Consider the research, planning and prep work required on behalf of the parent. Consider that homeschooling requires a lot of love, patience and encouragement.

These are all the reasons why I do admire families who have decided to take this on, and who do it so well. I do not think people consider these things when they make a snap judgement on whether homeschooling is good for children or not. It can be a most excellent education option, in my opinion.

Do not know if I could do it either. Mostly, I do not desire to do it. So, I am not a candidate! whew! (but I kind of wish.... )

but your points are well taken and apply in many cases to be sure ... it makes me wonder about the law or regulation of homeschooling.. I would hate to see children taken out of school to be put into a religion-brainwashing or other kind of setting that parents consider being education but has nothing to do with education.

Last edited:

dunelover

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
Oklahoma girl
www.thebeamstore.com
I would love to hear from folks who do/are considering homeschooling their kids as to 1) why they think homeschooling is a better choice 2) the age ranges of the kids they are homeschooling. :wave:

Scooterbug--I will be the first to admit that homeschooling is a very personal choice for many people. I don't expect you or anyone else to change their opinion of it. I will answer your questions from my perspective.

1). I homeschool a 1st grader (6 year old) and a 4th grader (9 year old). I also have a pre-k that will join us next year. Currently, I have him in a private pre-K program 2 days a week.

2) We have many reasons why we homeschool. I keep saying we because it is a family choice. My husband has to be supportive for it to work. I homeschooled my oldest for Kindergarten, and then sent her to public school. I sent my younger daughter to school as well. This past year I took them out of public school and brought them home. I have always been a stay at home mom so this was easy for me. It wasn't like I was giving up an incredible career or anything.

So my reasons:
a. Teach my kids at their level. I have two bright kids. One was bored alot and called on to "help the teacher" alot. She was even giving a learning disabled child her spelling test each week. My other daughters teacher told me she put my daughter next to the "English as a second language" child to help him learn his letters. That worked until he began to write them upside down from looking at my daughters paper. My oldest was reading at a 6th grade level in 3rd grade. But, the classroom or library did not have books at her level.

b. I can add in a foreign language early. Rosetta Stone is great for anyone that is looking for a foreign language.

c. I can add Bible lessons. Actually, our whole curriculum is centered around Bible.

d. I can have more time with them. We bond as a family, and as parent/child and child/child. We can do more during the day. We can enrich our unit study w/ field trips to museums, parks, or just learning from nature. Our learning isn't always at a desk or a table.

e. Socialization--I consider some of the socialization that goes on in school bad. I like to keep my kids younger and purer in heart longer. No need to worry about peer pressure yet.

Again, it is not for everyone. But for us, it is a perfect option. I think my kids are learning more than they ever would in public school.

thanks for your input dunelover. I don't think people really understand the concept of homeschooling. I cannot speak from direct experience, though I have read up on it, and talked to a few families. At one time I agreed with some posters on here that homeschooling would be an awful thing to do to a child. I just did not know what a beautiful experience it could be for children and parents to do together. Social interaction is absolutely not an issue when a parent is providing a comprehensive experience for their children. Sports and extra curricular activities - all available in our communities.

I do admire you so much! I would like to learn more. Maybe one day I'll have the skill and desire to give it a try (I doubt it). A few friends of mine have told me that the relationship with their child improved on many levels as a result of homeschooling (I thought that the opposite would result!).

Anyway, thank you for chiming in. Many people have the wrong idea about the possibilities of homeschooling. I believe homeschooling is a fantastic opportunity for many, many families. but certainly needs to be a good fit and adtoped by famliies who have the resources and enthusiasm to make it work for them.

Thanks for your comments. That is very sweet of you to say. When we finally get to the area you are welcome to come and sit in with us and see what "a day in the life is like". They say it takes 6-9months for kids and parents to adapt to homeschooling. The further we get into this year, the better it gets. And yes, it really can be a beautiful thing. I feel so blessed to be able to spend this time with my kids.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Socialization is the first complaint of many people. Our kids are still in social situations that many are not. They play organized sports. They are active in their churches. They still have friends and sleepovers. We meet with a smallgroup of friends and kids once a week. Many people find that homeschool kids actually relate better w/ all ages of people than public school kids.

Sadly, for so many kids learning does stop when the bell rings. Many kids only see their parents a couple hours a day. That doesn't leave time for much.

yes, it is always the first comment I hear, and I have also made this same comment more than once. But, I've learned that this is a non-issue for families who are serious homeschoolers. I've also learned that I needed to say this, and other comments against homeschooling, to be sure we all understand that homeschooling is not an option for ME as a mother. :blush::lol: I'm half serious!

a classroom situation is a kind of social setting, but not the only kind and certainly not the best kind, especially in some school settings. You can provide your children with much more interesting and stimulating social experiences, that's for sure!

you bring up a very valid point about how learning stops when the bell rings for many. the problem with not homeschooling - many parents leave most of the teaching up to the school. well, with the exception of baseball and soccer and plenty of "social" situations which of course are so critical. they are the ones missing out on a complete education, IMO.

as far as I know, some homeschool families may do a crappy job in educating their children. they probably aren't any better or worse off than some families in the school system. everyone has different expectations when it comes to education.

I'm still interested in hearing Walton GOP's comments on this subject.

Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
dunelover - take it from our montessori school experience - tables and desks are overrated! our kids do almost all their learning on the floor, on mats/rugs, outside, under the table, whatever. teachers work with them wherever they are. kids aren't that fond of sitting straight and working. it is just not in their make up.

Last edited:

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Thanks for clearing that up Grayton Girl. I was under the impression from someone whos child attended during an expulsion that funds went to the base school also.
Question - not that I think this would happen in my household (I hope not, anyway ), but out of curiosity - if a student is expelled from the county school district, would the Virtual School still be available, in lieu of Walton Academy?
Yes it is. But like many others here, its just not in MY makeup to be able to do it. Applause to those that can!

Last edited:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Sorry guys. Nice to see I am missed. Long day yesterday so I went to sleep instead of working on the computer. I am going to try to put together all my thoughts after reading the thread.

No motive on this one. Someone asked me something about homeschooling the other day so I thought it would be a good thread for discussion. Seems like a lot of really good information has come out.

I asked my spouse about the expelling question. The Florida Virtual School threw her as an option. She will check next week. Walton Academy is a private charter school, alternative education, so she said that is why they will take the student.

I am going to have to verify the number but I have been told that it is currently 600 students being home schooled in Walton County. I thought it was around 300. That is some serious change to a school district.

Will try to get a meeting with Jim McCall next week of the district to get a better understanding on how funding is split between virtual school and the district.

Seems like a lot of people in nowal home school for religious reasons and in sowal home school for educational reasons. I have no problem with persons home schooling their children. But since it is saving the State some dollars, there ought to be a way that the State could contribute to the resources needed. To do it right, seems very expensive. And we really need some educational standards to be met and progress measured. Even if the parents are not held accountable to this progress, it needs to be measured so they will know the direction that they are going with their child. Currently, my understanding is the student just has to show progress being made from year to year. No minimum progress, just progress. Bdarg is so correct, the only way society is going to grow in this country is with education. Kind of scary to think of the students out of that 600 that may be getting little to no education.

So with such a growth in the number of home schooled students, how does that speak for the job public education is doing? One has to wonder, because it is such a task to teach a student, that if people felt public school was doing a better job, if they would not just put their child back into the public school setting.

Socialization has always been something that I have thought about, but I understand now that home schooled students can participate in all extra curricular activities at public schools. So that issue can easily be resolved.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Most of the home schooled children I've been in contact with are active in church or in youth sports, or both. I also work down the hall from a very, very bright young lady who was homeschooled.

I'm still curious about the Virtual School as an alternative to the "alternative" school. It would take very special parents and a very special kid who made bad choices to make it work, but especially in the case of a pregnant teen (i know one), it could be an option.

30abob

Beach Lover
Aug 8, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
We made our decision to educate our children ourselves because we are uneducated, illiterate, religious fanatics and decided we would try to undermine the "great" American society... beginning with our own children!

Obviously I jest, please forgive my sarcasm if I've offended you... but there's probably a reason.

We recently (last June) moved to Walton County from Georgia and have home "educated" our children for eight years. I'm obviously biased, but think that we have given our children an education that will prepare them for success in college and beyond. Our oldest is dual enrolled as a high school senior at OWC. The second is attending public school in Okaloosa County at the NWF Ballet Academie' in FWB. Both are performing on par or above their peers, as most home educated students do when introduced to an institutional setting. Many of America's elite colleges and universities now aggressively recruit home educated students (check for yourself). The other two children are still educated at home.

Since moving to the area we have met several other families that have chosen to educate their children outside of an institutional setting. None of them have any noticeable mental deficiencies... well, I'll admit it - one of the fathers is a lawyer. Their children aren't socially inept drooling morons; they are well adjusted, polite children that can interact with other children as well as adults. This was also the case where we have previously lived.

I often find that those individuals who consider themselves to be the most "enlightened" and "tolerant" are also the same people who are the least "tolerant" of someone else's choice to be different. I can say that from my own research, which was open-minded and unbiased, I was convinced that home education was the "right" choice for our family. I decided that as an educational model; instead of "filling a bucket", I wanted to "light a fire".

To answer your question as far as I'm concerned, today it's not only viable... it's desirable.

Last edited: