• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
The tragedy here is that a handful of influential politicians, beachfront owners and lawyers first stopped beach nourishment then stopped Customary Use through House Bill631. As a result, our beach community has been altered with extremely negative consequences.

There is no escaping the fact that property values near the beaches are higher because of their close proximity to the beach. Beachfront owners pay for the view and convenience of having the water steps from their homes. Homes closer but not on the beach have little less value because of the convenience of having the water and beach a short walk from their homes. Homes that require a short drive are less valuable for that reason and homes that require a longer drive are worth less.

So, two values, both quality of life and financial values are tied directly to the shared beach and those homes closest to the beach. Shared is the operative word and beach is THE place that determines value on all levels. That is to say balance and shared value for all is optimal for everyone who is invested in our community. Beachfront owners have the advantage of view and the closest proximity.

Beachfront owners have prominently stated the cause of all this is bad behavior on the our beaches. So, if the real issue is behavior let's work together to reign in the behavior, set some new more impactful rules and begin sharing the beaches again; all of the beaches again from dune line to water line.

If that is the compromise then that is the only compromise I can see. Fix the behavior and share the beaches. But once you start talking property rights and applying them to a beach and excluding people from that beach you have lost me. Any takers? You all have been asking for compromise. If the behavior really is the problem let's address it, take down the signs and reset and restore the balance for the betterment of our community.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
I guess the kitchen got too hot for you in the other thread so you had to start a new one with much of the same malarkey you’ve already stated there.

Waiting for the threads to get merged as has been done in the past.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
I guess the kitchen got too hot for you in the other thread so you had to start a new one with much of the same malarkey you’ve already stated there.

Waiting for the threads to get merged as has been done in the past.

Well, I’m touched that you would come all the way over here to say hello. Suffice it to say that I reckon it must be more than just behavior on the beach that motivates you and your Komrades. So, may I assume then that my suggestions of reigning in the behavior on the beach is not sufficient to quell your desire to own the sand and exclude good people from it?

Last edited:

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
Let's try and keep it civil on this thread please (good Behvior). :clap:

Dave - as many on this forum have lamented for many years there is no enforcement. And can you really enforce behavior? Maybe somewhat, but I believe it is more of a standard that has to be set from the top down. Leaders with fortitude to stand up to the bad apples and build the reputation of "tough but fair". To develop the reputation that if you come to SoWal Beaches you best behave, and the locals (officials and citizens) will not put up with bad behavior toward our environment, our businesses, or our people. Where are these leaders?

Unfortunately, like most tourist destinations, fear (greed?) seems to rule the day. To the point that locals end up putting up with anything to not turn off tourists. And it always seems the tail is wagging the dog, or that we are always playing catch up. So, do we have the community spine to stand up for our community? Or do we get pissed off and have our lawyers deal with it?

Seems like money is winning out and it is sad.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
Let's try and keep it civil on this thread please (good Behvior). :clap:

Dave - as many on this forum have lamented for many years there is no enforcement. And can you really enforce behavior? Maybe somewhat, but I believe it is more of a standard that has to be set from the top down. Leaders with fortitude to stand up to the bad apples and build the reputation of "tough but fair". To develop the reputation that if you come to SoWal Beaches you best behave, and the locals (officials and citizens) will not put up with bad behavior toward our environment, our businesses, or our people. Where are these leaders?

Unfortunately, like most tourist destinations, fear (greed?) seems to rule the day. To the point that locals end up putting up with anything to not turn off tourists. And it always seems the tail is wagging the dog, or that we are always playing catch up. So, do we have the community spine to stand up for our community? Or do we get pissed off and have our lawyers deal with it?

Seems like money is winning out and it is sad.

I would think if a deal was struck it would all be predicated upon total and absolute enforcement which the TDC can afford.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I believe Dave's point is that this has never been about bad behavior on the beach. Documents have surfaced that as far back as 2005 there has been a concerted effort by BFO's to privatize these beaches, way, way before BBB (bad beach behavior) and VT (vendor thugs) was ever in the lexicon.

Last edited:

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
I believe Dave's point is that this has never been about bad behavior on the beach. Documents have surfaced that as far back as 2005 there has been a concerted effort by BFO's to privatize these beaches, way, way before BBB (bad beach behavior) and VM (vendor mafia) was ever in the lexicon.

Not entirely my point. I’m basing a lot of this on discussions I had with beachfront owners including Mike Huckabee. That was why I came up with the idea for the beach ambassador program. At this point I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until I am completely convinced otherwise. I would imagine the answers would be a mixed bag of extreme private property rights opinions and on the other end of the spectrum a perfect willingness to discuss my proposal.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
Not entirely my point. I’m basing a lot of this on discussions I had with beachfront owners including Mike Huckabee. That was why I came up with the idea for the beach ambassador program. At this point I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until I am completely convinced otherwise. I would imagine the answers would be a mixed bag of extreme private property rights opinions and on the other end of the spectrum a perfect willingness to discuss my proposal.
I thought your proposal was a good one, and reasonable. Why didn't they implement?