• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

teamc

Beach Lover
Jan 10, 2009
there are MANY things we need we cannot find here. that's why we have the internet! it requires patience, but it's worth it.

teamc

Beach Lover
Jan 10, 2009
Susan Horn, not only is the PCB Walmart the leading seller of beer in North America, but the Destin Walmart is reportedly the leading seller of wine in North America. So much for thoughts that Walmart cannot succeed in a tourist area.

1) why are we assuming the booze sales are all tourists? ha!
2) that's definitely an interesting definition of "success".

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Susan Horn, not only is the PCB Walmart the leading seller of beer in North America, but the Destin Walmart is reportedly the leading seller of wine in North America. So much for thoughts that Walmart cannot succeed in a tourist area.

I'd be curious as to how many Mom & Pop liquor stores they put out of business. The Mom & Pop liquor stores most likely provided FT employment to more people (with better benefits) than Walmart added due to the addition of liquor sales. Walmart probably didn't have to hire but a couple extra employees?

I have watched them over the years leave once thriving small towns in Illinois with many vacant storefronts - forcing people to have to drive out of town center to shop. I worked at a small town Index store (5 and dime) during high school and college which couldn't compete. It's closing forced locals to drive 9 miles to get notions. A real inconvenience for many. It's just not right.:angry:

Plus around here they tend to buy 2nd quality produce.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I don't want a Wal-mart store down the road OR in my neighborhood! I am quite happy that you currently have to either cross a county line or a large body of water to get to one.

These days there are many other options besides Wal-mart, so there is no reason to say you shop there out of necessity. (I do admit that years ago, it was where you had to go for many standard items and that I would shop there after exhausting other options). Nowadays, if you need to shop at a big box store, Target is a good alternative, though still not as good as a local store. If there is a truly hard to find item, put Sowal to work for you.

TeamC is quite right - if you shop at Wal-mart, you are choosing to support it and its destruction of our communities and values. I won't even buy a fund if Wal-mart is one of its stocks. They are evil and you are making a deal w/ the devil every time you shop there!

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen
You have most likely offended about 95% of the people here. Lots of closet Walmart shoppers on here or at least their families. Get out of your box. Your attepmt at being a comedian is degrading to alot of people. Take a hike.
In the referenced poster's defense, I have shopped at WalMart and have family members that have shopped at WalMart and neither I nor they fit any of the descriptions on the bingo card but so what if I or they did? Attempts, even successes, at being a comedian are often upsetting to a lot of people.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
1) why are we assuming the booze sales are all tourists? ha!
2) that's definitely an interesting definition of "success".

I never said that the booze sales were "all tourists." The success of a business has more to do with being profitable, and staying in business, offering products at reasonable prices. Some businesses do this while treating employees well. (Walmart supposedly leaves off the last bit, though I haven't worked there so I cannot personally say.)

I know Walmart sends moms and pops out of business. How much money do they save shoppers? Is it enough to justify undercutting others' prices? Is there a way, other than undercutting pricing, that Walmart runs other businesses out of town? :dunno:

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
I guess we know how some people think about wal mart - ya think??:lol:

I shop at Wal mart when I have all sorts of things to buy. Food/medicine/pet food etc. It is not my favorite place but it is convienient. (1/4 mile down the street) Having a small child (I dont now) it was much easier to stop in ONE place than 3 different places. I think that their prices are better than most of the grocery stores and Target (unless it is a loss leader sale) and I watch prices closely.

Sure, their produce is not that great. I prefer to shop at WHole Foods or the local mexican on the side of the road when I want good fresh stuff but some people can not afford to pay a $1 more per pound for an apple. I would rather a child have a 2nd rate apple than none at all....

I am sure that there are just as many good stories about being employed at Wal Mart as their is bad ones. At our local Wal mart most of the greeters are handicapped in some way. It makes me feel good to talk to them when I come in to the store. It gives them a sense of purpose. How can that be bad? I would be very surprised to see them at Pulix or Winn DIxie, etc.

In Baton Rouge there are several smaller Wal Marts. They are called Neighborhood Wal Mart. They are around the size of a Publix and are layed out nicely on the outside (brick) and inside (wood floors in sections, etc). It seems they are kind of an upgrade to the super mega marts.

I dont live here anymore but still own properties here. I personally dont have a problem with one being on 98 but I see that many here on this board do. To each his own I guess. I think it is inevitable and it will one day, be here.

I am now zipping up my full bodied armour - (bought at Wal-Mart) :lol:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
BTW, If you think Walmart produce is terrible, go shop at Kelly's in Freeport. You will come away thinking that Walmart is like EarthFare or some fancy market.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
BTW, If you think Walmart produce is terrible, go shop at Kelly's in Freeport. You will come away thinking that Walmart is like EarthFare or some fancy market.

I remember you talking about this before. Is it like brown and wilted? :shock: