• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I have been here for 17 of those 20 years and I don't ever recall a fish kill of any kind let alone one of this magnitude. I don't know everything that is why I keep asking questions. Do you know if the bay fish kills you are referring to was authenticated by any agency?

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Continuous water testing is the only way to get real information to answer some of the questions you keep asking. The present governor of our state, Rick Scott, cut the budget for monitoring water by $700,000,000. If some of that data that was lost was available to the scientists who study water quality then maybe they could have answers to this problem that is growing in Florida waters. Without those eight years of lost data, we have little chance of understanding the problems we will be facing in the future. Fact.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I agree that Rick Scott is/was bad for our environment. Please vote. I am not that interested in blaming politicians because we the people vote and elect our representatives. It happens to be our form of government (representative democracy). We can let our representatives know that we are not happy about stuff but once they are elected but we are stuck with them. It only causes division when we blame other voters for electing a bad representative. Activism should be about supporting a better candidate rather all this moral high ground stuff. Anyway something is wrong in the Bay and I still don't know if it is Karenia Brevis or something else. I think we all should be alarmed and ask questions until we find the answers. BTW to your point about Rick Scott his create jobs BS with Visit Florida is spending a lot of money letting potential tourist know that there are plenty of non-hurricane and non-red tide beaches in Florida to visit. I am registered republican voter and I am so disappointed that we have such poor representatives of our environment who are willing to put economics ahead of all other things.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I agree that Rick Scott is/was bad for our environment. Please vote. I am not that interested in blaming politicians because we the people vote and elect our representatives. It happens to be our form of government (representative democracy). We can let our representatives know that we are not happy about stuff but once they are elected but we are stuck with them. It only causes division when we blame other voters for electing a bad representative. Activism should be about supporting a better candidate rather all this moral high ground stuff. Anyway something is wrong in the Bay and I still don't know if it is Karenia Brevis or something else. I think we all should be alarmed and ask questions until we find the answers. BTW to your point about Rick Scott his create jobs BS with Visit Florida is spending a lot of money letting potential tourist know that there are plenty of non-hurricane and non-red tide beaches in Florida to visit. I am registered republican voter and I am so disappointed that we have such poor representatives of our environment who are willing to put economics ahead of all other things.
My post had no high political bias. It was a simple fact that without robust water monitoring the scientist who are trying to insure water quality have no facts to work with to do their job. If you are a Republican and you care about environmental protection, you are most definitely backing the wrong jack-ass.

StepfordWife

Beach Comber
Sep 14, 2012
Fine early morning in Rosemary Beach today, but pretty bad right now in the afternoon. Don’t see dead things on beach, but very strong dead fish smell, stinging eyes/nose and some coughing on the beach. Once leave walkover, is fine.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Fine early morning in Rosemary Beach today, but pretty bad right now in the afternoon. Don’t see dead things on beach, but very strong dead fish smell, stinging eyes/nose and some coughing on the beach. Once leave walkover, is fine.
Expect it to continue until Friday night when a front is coming through and onshore winds flip to offshore.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
My post had no high political bias. It was a simple fact that without robust water monitoring the scientist who are trying to insure water quality have no facts to work with to do their job. If you are a Republican and you care about environmental protection, you are most definitely backing the wrong jack-ass.
LVT, it is amazing that you are not able to be aware of your bias. In my opinion you are very divisive and are always trying to prove that your political choices are superior to those that might have another choice. Really, it is okay to debate the issues but when you start name calling and believing that you have a right to demean another person you cross a line. Another amazing fact is that I agree that Scott has/is bad for the environment yet we disagree on what to do about it other than support a better candidate for the environment. You believe in trashing him and those that voted for him. Why can't you respect people which includes our representatives and those that vote then have civil conversations about which candidate is better for the whole. Never mind don't answer that because it would be full of moral superiority.

BTW, CBA completed the water testing that we asked for and there is no red tide in those samples. The theory is that red tide in the gulf probably killed fish somewhere close to the cut and drifted with the wind and tide to the shoreline several miles away. CBA is a group of people doing good things for the Bay and Dune Lakes. We need to support them. This was a massive fish kill and we all need to be alarmed. If you are alarmed about global warming and climate change then you should be alarmed about massive fish kills whenever they happen to determine why it happened. In this case we have a theory but need to keep asking questions.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
LVT, it is amazing that you are not able to be aware of your bias. In my opinion you are very divisive and are always trying to prove that your political choices are superior to those that might have another choice. Really, it is okay to debate the issues but when you start name calling and believing that you have a right to demean another person you cross a line. Another amazing fact is that I agree that Scott has/is bad for the environment yet we disagree on what to do about it other than support a better candidate for the environment. You believe in trashing him and those that voted for him. Why can't you respect people which includes our representatives and those that vote then have civil conversations about which candidate is better for the whole. Never mind don't answer that because it would be full of moral superiority.

BTW, CBA completed the water testing that we asked for and there is no red tide in those samples. The theory is that red tide in the gulf probably killed fish somewhere close to the cut and drifted with the wind and tide to the shoreline several miles away. CBA is a group of people doing good things for the Bay and Dune Lakes. We need to support them. This was a massive fish kill and we all need to be alarmed. If you are alarmed about global warming and climate change then you should be alarmed about massive fish kills whenever they happen to determine why it happened. In this case we have a theory but need to keep asking questions.
SERC%20WM%20stations%2097-05.png FIU%20current%20monitoring.png

This is an example of the cuts in water monitoring during the Rick Scott administration. I'm sure it is similar in the panhandle. Considering this, and the extreme voter suppression that is going on by the Republican Party, especially in Florida, I have no reservations about calling Rick Scott a jack-ass. He and Trump are as corrupt as they get. I didn't call you a jack-ass, I simply implied that you are extraordinarily "naïve" to back the Republican Party if you are the least bit concerned about environmental protection.