• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

deasnealy

Beach Lover
Oct 21, 2010
We left SoWall for a few weeks and noticed our dogs stopped their constant itching. We are back and less than 24 hours our dogs are itching again. They are treated with Frontline and Heartguard. We are wondering if there are allergies or possible mites. We really see no fleas on them. Before we left we added new pine straw to back yard. Seems to have coincided with that install that itching started.

Has anyone had similar issues and any ideas? We have not changed food nor fed them any new type of treats.

Thanks for your thoughts.

EmilyW

Beach Comber
Jul 23, 2012
We have the same problem. Up north they are fine, but as soon as we come home they are an itchy mess. I have been bathing them at least every other week and try to fit in weekly baths. This seems to help some. Prednisone works wonders, but long term that isn't the answer. If you find a better alternative please let me know!

harrymurry

Beach Comber
Nov 30, 2012
We moved here in Jan and found the same problem, the fleas laugh at Frontline, had to end up putting our mutt on Trifexis to stop the fleas but the itching continued. Finally a trip to the vet to find that he has allergies to the pine pollen. He's been on antihistamines for a week now and the itching has stopped. I also found that benadryl helped before he got the antihistamines. We moved from St. Louis and he never had a problem with allergies or itching.

bluemtnrunner

Beach Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
Our guys have been miserable for the past year. It was never this bad before. Nothing is killing the fleas.

bluemtnrunner

Beach Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
I have dosed the daylights out of my dogs with comfortis. It does work GREAT, but the fleas are back in no time. I have treated the dogs, house, yard all at the same time and continuously. Poor fellas.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Ask your vet about Trifexis. It kills the fleas, and then the itching stops.
deasnealy, if your dog is allergic to flea bites, it only takes one. They hide, you have to check the whole dog.

Red Dawg

Beach Lover
Feb 14, 2008
SoWal
Treat your yard with an ant killer called "Over & Out. I live in the woods and the exterminator laughed when they came out about fleas. Using this product I have not had a flea in 2 years. I do us comfortis. You can buy this stuff at Lowes, I spread over yard, do not wet. No fleas.

BeachBunnie

Beach Lover
Jan 29, 2010
Try local bee pollen which can be purchased at For the Health of It. We give it to our dogs every night and helps with the tearing and builds up their immunity. That should help with allergies to area pollens. Also, at Shaggy To Chic in Blue Mountain Beach on 30A, you can purchase a product called "Wham". It is an all-natural anti-itch spray that aids in the relief if itching, hot spots, yeast, and skin irritations due to fleas and tick infestations. Contains tea tree oil. Lastly, Shaggy To Chic also has an all-natural insect repellant which is good for biting flies, Mosquitos, mites, fleas, etc.

golden

Beach Lover
Jan 14, 2013
My golden got bitten by a yellow fly or spider and her entire face is swollen and she has a really really bad wound on one side of her face .. Had to take her to vet to get Meds and its slowly getting better . Other golden got bitten too but his healed quickly .. Can you spray them with skin so soft to help w this ?