• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
TooFarTampa said:
We had quite a bit of damage from Ivan. We had roof repairs that were being done but had not been finished when the storm hit. In addition, someone (maybe those working on our house?) left the french doors improperly secured on the third floor, and they blew open. Water was EVERYWHERE. We had about 27K worth of damage, and that was just for cleanup, flooring, drywall, doors, etc. And it took three months to repair. It took four months for an adjuster to even come see us! Citizens was a nightmare to deal with. I'm just so, so glad it was a second home and not our primary residence.

The year that has passed since Ivan has been about the most stress-filled 12 months of my life, for a ton of reasons, and even though it's not logical I'm hoping this anniversary means things are going to settle down a bit for us. Because I can point directly to Ivan as the beginning.
Oh, I'm so sorry you had so much damage. :sosad: I feel blessed.

BTW I have a photo of that dog on Seagrove Beach. It was so strange how it ended up facing the Gulf. Someone was taking a photo of it, so I thought it was his dog. I thought that it was such a good dog because it obeyed the "stay" command for so long. Then when the photographer left, it STILL stayed and stayed. That's when I realized it was a statue. It was funny how someone put a bandana on it and people left flowers and dog toys for it.

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
One year ago today? Wow, it feels like tons of years since we lost everything in our brand new trailer home in PCB (ok, it was from the tornados, not the eyewall, but everything was still gone and without Ivan there would not have been any tornados, etc., etc.). We ran all the way through Georgia into Tennessee and back down through Alabama. I hooked up with a friend that flies out of Tyndall and we stayed down there for a few days and he got me on a helicopter for an overflight. It's funny, you know, seeing your stuff all spread out on the ground like that and recognising it, but still trying to decide whether it was yours or not. Must be denial. The beds from the slut motel that was closer toward the beach had landed on top of our stuff so most of it wasn't as ruined by rain as some. I did find the huge staghorn coral piece, amazingly still attached to the wooden stand, that I bought way back in the 60's from the now-closed Alan Davis Shell Shop in Pensacola and that was truly good since it can't be harvested anymore, and a few other things I had saved from my childhood, such as my shell collection that I had put into one of those 'fill it yourself' lamps (lamp didn't work but that wasn't the point), and a pair of naval style bookends. All were wet through, and had some new 'character lines', but were salvageable. Everything else was just 'stuff', chattel, my 'many goats'. Minimalism is great as you just don't have as many 'many goats' to escape or lose. The big boat did just fine (in the trench with 5 anchors on it) and the other 2 were illegally parked down at Tyndall in a hangar! My friend could have gotten in terrible trouble for that but they were fine and nothing happened and he got a series of fine steak dinners (prime rib a jou!) for danger pay. We however got nothing from the government, so when the insurance finally paid off we decided to get a real trailer that could move and keep it somewhere as our 'vacation home' and start over again in Alabama. I started at Auburn for my Masters and subsequently found this board, changed jobs and eventually changed Thesis and today it is now been one year. Again, Wow!

The tilapia grew almost a whole inch while all the debris was in the ponds - they will apparently eat anything in front of them regardless, and can also apparently digest it ok. South American(?) fish must have a very varied diet! USDA man came and several reliable witnesses reported that he checked their poo (I was apparently away moving the camper and missed this visual treat!) and he pronounced them clean, so at least we'll have fish for dinner and a paycheck. Yay!

tilap.jpg

Behold the humble Tilapia - tastes like Chicken and breeds like Rabbits!

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
njackie said:
We were able to come the first of October and my daughter-in-law walked with me to where this dog statue was on Seagrove Beach down from our condos and once again I cried. I had this need to touch this crazy dog statue.
I heard about the dog statue...some friends of ours came down to our place the first week of October last year and took a picture of it. It scared the heck out of them when they first saw it, because it looked so real!

Anyone have any idea what happened to it? :dunno:

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
Ivan was the first hurricane to make landfall after we purchased our house. The old Butler cottage (of the same name) that stood on the land before was completely washed away by Opal, so we feared the worst. All we had of the old original Conch Out was the handpainted sign. When Ivan was Category 5 and headed for us, I told my husband to expect no house standing by the next morning. Before the storm hooked east, I had a family member retrieve a few momentos from the house---mostly pictures, one painting, and a little seashell chest that I love. Funny the things one wants to save when contemplating destruction. We were reminded that it's all just "stuff." The saddest thing was the thought of the devastation to the beaches and wildlife, knowing how long the recovery takes.

We did have some water damage on our ground floor, which was a cleanup job and a good excuse to go ahead with replacing carpet with stone tile on the ground floor. On the +++ side, we had the water extraction people on-the-scene immediately, the insurance adjustor was out there within days of our initial telephone call (thank you William West at Waterfield & Associates---you're the BEST), and we had a FEMA check for full claim before the charges came through on our card. We also found out how well built the house is and have now had two demonstrations of how the new building codes work in these storms.

Things could have been so much worse on many levels. We were very fortunate with Ivan and the aftermath. Sometimes the system does work and it did for us with Ivan. (Not that we want a repeat performance, mind you.)

luvthebeach said:
I heard about the dog statue...some friends of ours came down to our place the first week of October last year and took a picture of it. It scared the heck out of them when they first saw it, because it looked so real!

Anyone have any idea what happened to it? :dunno:
It's on top of what little is left of the walkover at Seawatch Drive.

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
Beach Runner said:
It's on top of what little is left of the walkover at Seawatch Drive.

Glad to hear the dog is still "alive and well" I think we're going to try to come down next weekend.....I'll be on the lookout for the little guy. Thanks for the info! :D

njackie

Beach Lover
Nov 18, 2004
There is a wonderful new dog up on the beach walkover. But the dog that went through Ivan was down on the beach in front of the walkover in June. I am also going back in October so I will check on that crazy dog!

kurt said:
Pre Ivan
Post Ivan
There's the dog, and there's our gorgeous cypress walkover in the background that has cost us about $20,000 in the past year-and-a-half. The cypress part got ripped out by Dennis. We rebuilt a simple walkover after Dennis and again after Katrina. Why do anything fancy when it has been ripped up 4 times in less than a year by hurricanes?

njackie

Beach Lover
Nov 18, 2004
Once again, thank you Kurt. How blessed is Beach Runner to have such a wonderful home on the gulf!