• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
Have a look at this:

http://www.auburn.edu/academic/scie...ments/biology/faculty/webpages/hill/ivorybill

They have sound recordings of both calls and wood-pecking. There are also a number of sightings which, as yet, are unconfirmed with video.

Yeah, a photograph is the holy grail for this one. Matt Aresco of Nokuse Plantation spoke at our rotary club a while back and mentioned this. Lots of audio of the distinctive call, but no one has gotten the shot. I believe the bird is out there, and sure would love to see one.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Yeah, a photograph is the holy grail for this one. Matt Aresco of Nokuse Plantation spoke at our rotary club a while back and mentioned this. Lots of audio of the distinctive call, but no one has gotten the shot. I believe the bird is out there, and sure would love to see one.

Those Auburn links don't do anything. I've tried them several times.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove

Now that we've got DNA, a feather from a roost hole would be just fine. Maybe even better than a photo, since DNA can't be faked. You can just hear the skeptics discounting a photo.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I am not sure, but the Panama City Crawfish was recently placed on something like a threatened or endangered species list, so there could be potential problems with that. I am not sure if an animal which is still yet to be proven to exist can have an effect on the airport.

They have crawfish in Panama City?!?! Oh, goody!:evil:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
OK, here is something useful for those planning on hunting peckers. The specimens on the left are Pileated woodpeckers, alive, well and found in WALCO. The two on the right are Ivory Billed woodpeckers. The potential for mistaken identity is obvious.:shock:

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
OK, here is something useful for those planning on hunting peckers. The specimens on the left are Pileated woodpeckers, alive, well and found in WALCO. The two on the right are Ivory Billed woodpeckers. The potential for mistaken identity is obvious.:shock:
Back prior to reading about the Ivory-Billed, I use to see what I thought to be Piliated Woodpeckers in my yard on occasion. I wonder if ... nah, probably not. I haven't seen any Pileated WP for a couple of years now.