• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Katrina and oysters

New posts
shakennotstirred said:
Yes. If my memory is right, a fish of the day, shrimp & crawfish with pasta & of course crab cakes.

Remember...crab cakes on Fri/Sat night only!!
 
To Shaken Not Stirred...

Your Steeler logo caught my eye...Would you by any chance own the house by the same name in Seacrest? I am a Gateway High School graduate from Monroeville, now living in Atlanta....own Happy Hour in Seacrest Beach North.
I'm older than dirt and actually was at the game with the Immaculate Reception. Oh, how I long for the days of Myron Cope on Sports!!!
 
karen said:
To Shaken Not Stirred...

Your Steeler logo caught my eye...Would you by any chance own the house by the same name in Seacrest? I am a Gateway High School graduate from Monroeville, now living in Atlanta....own Happy Hour in Seacrest Beach North.
I'm older than dirt and actually was at the game with the Immaculate Reception. Oh, how I long for the days of Myron Cope on Sports!!!

I wish I owned some property there ...... maybe someday!

Atlanta has a lot of former Pittsburghers there.

That would of been awesome to see the Immaculate Reception in person. I don't believe that game was even televised. I miss Myron as well - he retired recently & is no longer announcing the games.
 
I'll tell you another culinary fallout from Katrina! We went to a big festival on Saturday night called The French Market. The Catholic church down the street from us, St. Joan of Arc parish, throws this bash every year and all the food is French and Creole. It's fabulous! One of the most popular items for dessert are the beignets. They're always a sell-out.

This year a sad sign: "NO Beignets Due to Katrina." They get the mix, you see, from Cafe du Monde in NO. :bang:
 
You can probably still find boxes of the mix in stores like World Market/Cost Plus and Publix if you really want a beignets fix.

As far as oysters go, Apalachicola Bay is probably far enough away to not get Katrina-related polluted waters.
 
beachmouse said:
You can probably still find boxes of the mix in stores like World Market/Cost Plus and Publix if you really want a beignets fix.

As far as oysters go, Apalachicola Bay is probably far enough away to not get Katrina-related polluted waters.
I hear talk of Red Tide, not to be confused with Crimson Tide, in the area of Apalachicola. It may just be talk, so check it out for yourself.
 
dirtdaddy said:
I eat some oysters last Monday that had come for Texas and they were
wonderful.
:welcome: Dirtdaddy - interesting name :idontno: care to explain? Just got me curious.
 
beachmouse said:
You can probably still find boxes of the mix in stores like World Market/Cost Plus and Publix if you really want a beignets fix.

As far as oysters go, Apalachicola Bay is probably far enough away to not get Katrina-related polluted waters.

Apalachicola Bay is closed to oyster harvesting due to red tide. That was exactly the point of my post - there are simply no gulf oysters available.

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee/12576817.htm
 
Last edited:
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top