• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

xaa

Beach Comber
Aug 17, 2008
North of LA
Twenty years ago, I bought my first dive-of-a-house right out of college. During my search for the right house at the right price, I was awed and intrigued by the Joneses house. You know the one: the big house in a neighborhood full of smaller ones or it was the McMansion surrounded by other McMansions. I wondered what occupation the Joneses had to afford such a paradise. At the time, my awe and intrigue was justified. I'd just started an entry level position and was in debt up to my eyeballs and everything was bigger and better than my house.

Having settled into my career, I thought I'd come to understand and appreciate how the Joneses had acquired their dream home. They worked hard in well-paying professions. They likely owned their own business. They took advantage of low mortgage rates. And they pinched pennies. However, somewhere along the way unbeknownst to me, the bar got raised for us "want-a-bes' as the Joneses were out purchasing or building multi-million dollar 2nd homes along 30A. Now I'm back to those feelings of awe and intrigue. Who are these people? There's only so many banker CEO positions available.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
A lot of folks have "family money". No shame in that but I suspect a lot of them don't want to admit it.

the Joneses I want to keep up with are the ones who don't "jones" for stuff. The folks who are happy whether rich or poor. For me, it takes practice. No shame in that either.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Twenty years ago, I bought my first dive-of-a-house right out of college. During my search for the right house at the right price, I was awed and intrigued by the Joneses house. You know the one: the big house in a neighborhood full of smaller ones or it was the McMansion surrounded by other McMansions. I wondered what occupation the Joneses had to afford such a paradise. At the time, my awe and intrigue was justified. I'd just started an entry level position and was in debt up to my eyeballs and everything was bigger and better than my house.

Having settled into my career, I thought I'd come to understand and appreciate how the Joneses had acquired their dream home. They worked hard in well-paying professions. They likely owned their own business. They took advantage of low mortgage rates. And they pinched pennies. However, somewhere along the way unbeknownst to me, the bar got raised for us "want-a-bes' as the Joneses were out purchasing or building multi-million dollar 2nd homes along 30A. Now I'm back to those feelings of awe and intrigue. Who are these people? There's only so many banker CEO positions available.
marry well or live well

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I avoid the Jones's like the plague (well, not the Jones's but the keeping up with the Jones's - if the Jones's are happy, I'm happy for them and would gladly enjoy a view of the beach from their deck if they invite me over, and I'd bring the wine). I'm happy with my two little cottages at the beach that have everything we need and more to be happy. A porch, a community pool, a beach across the street, air conditioning in the summer, heat and quilts in the winter. And there's easy maintenance given they're only-one story and 1100 square feet (not to mention getting a very clear view of the sky rather than tall buildings when looking up at the sky).

As I sit here on my cottage porch, catching up with SoWal.com, there's nowhere in the world I'd rather be right now. If I were a cat, I'd be purring. Sigh.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!

40's or 50's, good income and good credit, taking on large amounts of debt thinking by the time they hit 65 they'll have the first home, second home, and kids college mostly paid off and can retire to the beach. Problem is they probably aren't putting much into savings, which means they'll have to work far longer than they currently think. Early retirement for a lot of these folks is a pipe dream.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
I'm not even keeping up with how the Jone$e$ are doing let alone thinking of trying to be like them. Stay out of debt, live modestly and comfortably. Don't go spending all your money on house and automobiles. I'm not sure I'd know the Jone$e$ if I saw them, unless it was really obvious and they are so out of my league financially, so then why even think about it? Also, I've known people with lots of money who live very modestly. They don't need or want lots of stuff. You can live just like them.