• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
So, I do believe this is a change in policy - citation vs arrest.
First :welcome: .

Let's say the judge accidentally dropped your citation in the trashcan. ;-)

And I have no idea about the answer to this: If the Sheriff's department wrote the citation as I guess they did recently to others, but the judge basically said to hell with this, would that be considered a change in policy since the citation was "written" in the first place?

EDITED: Never mind. Sometimes I need to reread things.... where you said citation vs. arrest.
Sorry, good point.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Big difference between not wanting tourists & locals removed while decorously enjoying the beach as they have for decades and "surfrider et al" leading a berserker's charge over the dunes to invade your yard, trample your landscaping, and destroy your property rights!

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
I'm sure that's one of the reasons Bobby J mentioned Surfrider. Regarding their area of expertise, I agree. That's why I quoted their goals.

But re-read Bobby J's sentence in his last post above..."See www.surfrider.org for more info about the "private beaches"."

His main reason for mentioning Surfrider here is crystal clear.

BMBV, The reason I have posted see more info about private beaches was for this:
Policies

The state constitution says ALL beaches below the “mean high-water line,” or the wet sand, are public. Court cases have found that the public has the right to the dry sand parts of beaches in two instances:

• One is if the public has established a “prescriptive easement,” using a particular beach for the past 20 years without objection from private landowners.
  • The other is through “customary use,” which is the “ancient,” peaceful use of the beach by the public.
Florida regulations and laws that help shape public beach access policy include Section 161.053, F.S., and Chapter 62B-33, F.A.C. Specifically, the conditions within Chapter 62B-33.0051, F.A.C., prohibit the loss of lateral public access.

My studies have shown that court cases tend to lean toward Joe public as far as people getting arrested. I feel once someone gets arrested it will be thrown out and viewed as a waste of time by the judge. What a hassle for that person that was arrested. This is a big mess and I am trying to understand it on a day to day basis. If you would like to speak directly with the Surfrider contact please see links below. I am not sure what you are trying to read into my post and I do not feel there is a crystal clear agenda like you do. As far as me trying to cast an unfavorable light on you, I feel you do that quite well on your own.

Bobby J

Ericka Davanzo
Florida Regional Manager
Surfrider Foundation
edavanzo@surfrider.org
772-225-3780
516-643-2514

www.surfrider.org

Last edited:

jack S

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2007
BMBV; There is no need to beat up on Bobby over what you consider to be surfrider goals. It is simple really :
SURFRIDER recognizes the biodiversity and ecological integrity of the planet's coasts are necessary and irreplaceable. SURFRIDER is committed to preserving natural living and non-living diversity and ecological integrity of the coastal environment. 2. SURFRIDER promotes the right of low-impact, free and open access to the world's waves and beaches for all people. SURFRIDER acts to preserve this right of access.
3. SURFRIDER is dedicated to enhancing wave-riding opportunities in ways which will not adversely impact nearshore ecosystems.

Surfrider is an international organization, BUT with local chapters that deal with local issues. The continued free use of our coastal beaches IS our issue!
waterfront owners and sherriffs office are becoming arbitrary and caprious and unreasonable in manner since there is no ACTUAL public health, safety or welfare issues.

The sheriff has no law degree and our county should be guided by existing attorney guidelines, not what we have today!

raven

Banned
May 14, 2007
The Walton County Library off of 331 has a pamphlet with hurricane/emergency info.

scooterbug!! i like you ALOT! so please don't take this personally... but um...are you serious?? our number 1 economic engine in this area is tourism and we're asking THEM to go find the library in a weather emergency to get relevant information????

that's not cool. and it is yet ANOTHER symptom in this region of...well, we want the money BUT we aren't willing to provide the service/make the accomodations/understand the value of our resources (ie. environment)/apply infrastructure, etc. the attitude is an entitled one of a spoiled child instead of a responsible adult.

as for the sit in..i am TOTALLY there.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
scooterbug!! i like you ALOT! so please don't take this personally... but um...are you serious?? our number 1 economic engine in this area is tourism and we're asking THEM to go find the library in a weather emergency to get relevant information????

that's not cool. and it is yet ANOTHER symptom in this region of...well, we want the money BUT we aren't willing to provide the service/make the accomodations/understand the value of our resources (ie. environment)/apply infrastructure, etc. the attitude is an entitled one of a spoiled child instead of a responsible adult.

as for the sit in..i am TOTALLY there.

I mentioned the library as one of the places I KNEW you could find the information (along w/ free blue bags so you can recycle), it's available elsewhere. No idea why it is so difficult for tourists to get information, unless it is there and they just don't see it.