• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

dusty

Beach Lover
Feb 13, 2005
Re: ABC 20/20 story on Walton County and tourist safety

The article is pretty much the transcript from the show--what you don't get are the voice inflections, the graphics, etc. At least they help those who saw the program understand what to do if caught in a rip tide.

Mystic Beach

Beach Comber
Jul 22, 2005
I think we would save more lives if side-impact airbags were required on every vehicle sold, rather than requiring life-guards on the beaches.

FoX

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
off the beach
www.thesimpsons.com
Re: Need to Post and Enforce Flag System - More Drownings

sunsetdunes said:
Kurt, we *are* trying to keep things in perspective. Fear of having children drown is not even slightly irrational. After motor vehicle related deaths, drowning is the second leading cause of injury death for children.

Did Kurt use the the term irrational? Do you mean unreasonable? I think there is a difference. Keep splitting those hairs.

sunsetdunes said:
As for hair-splitting about the use of the word stalking: Stalking may not be completely correctly used in their headline, but referring to their use of it as "anthropomorphism" isn't exactly correct either. Anthropomorphism is the attribution of human motivation, characteristics, or behavior to inanimate objects, animals, or natural phenomena. Since animals stalk as well as humans, it's not technically anthropomorphism to use the term "stalking". :D (Though there may well be another more correct term for it.)

I don't think you're splitting hairs. I think you're contradicting yourself. The portion in bold italics is a standard definition, and stalking is a human behavior, which means Kurt used the term properly. If you're one of our many SoWal realtors who used to be a former elementary school english teacher, I can understand your comment even if incorrect, otherwise it's a pretty weak comeback.

sunsetdunes said:
Sometimes it takes headlines like this to get people's attention in all the noise of everyday life.

That is pathetic.

sunsetdunes said:
The problem is indifference on the part of the county to reducing the risk of drowning, and 20/20 pointed that out very accurately, in my opinion.

Oh! So the problem is not people actually drowning or the lack of lifeguards, but the county's indifference?:roll: Do you have an axe to grind with the county and were happy to see us ridiculed? You're welcome to sell your property and buy a rental in a community which currently has lifeguards.

BeachDreamer

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2005
The Peaceful Piney Woods.
Re: Need to Post and Enforce Flag System - More Drownings

It isn't unreasonable to want lifeguards on the public beaches. It is unreasonable to say that people died because there weren't any there.

I knew a man who was killed in an avalanche while mountain climbing. There were warnings that day, stating that avalanches were moderately likely, but he went climbing regardless. He was not killed by the lack of rangers in the area preventing people from climbing. He was killed by being in an area where avalanches were warned to be moderately likely.

drsvelte

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Sandestin & Red Stick
I have been caught in two rips on Emerald Coast. The first was during the Gulf Coast triathlon in 1993 or 1994 at Panama City Beach. We had an out-and-back swim of 1.2 miles. The ?out? part seemed to go OK, but when I turned to return it was if I was absolutely swimming in place. I made little headway to the shore and was confused because of this. Finally, a swim marshal in a kayak directed me to swim laterally to shore and then to the beach and I finally made it in. It took me around 50 minutes for that swim, when a distance of 1.2 would normally take in the mid-20?s. I was totally exhausted, never recovered, and it turned out to be my slowest half-Ironman triathlon ever.

The next time I encountered a rip I knew a little bit of what to expect and how to react. It was during a triathlon held at Seaside in November. When we started the race we were pulled out by a rip at an amazing pace as I recall ? we were out a 1/8th mile in no time ? literally seconds. I turned parallel to the shore, and ultimately rounded the final buoy to go in and ended up with my fastest time ever in a .5M swim.

Obviously, I can testify that rips can be a problem even for someone with decent swim skills. For a tourist, without knowledge of the Gulf and local conditions, and limited swimming skills, I?m sure it must be a terrifying experience.

Fundamentally, I do agree with those that argue that this is a matter of personal responsibility. But, pragmatically, I think perhaps something more can be done than our friendly crab. I would think that a pilot program of lifeguards at the major public beach accesses in SoWal might be considered. Say what?

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
drsvelte said:
Fundamentally, I do agree with those that argue that this is a matter of personal responsibility. But, pragmatically, I think perhaps something more can be done than our friendly crab. I would think that a pilot program of lifeguards at the major public beach accesses in SoWal might be considered. Say what?

very reasonable suggestion. I have read local news reports in the last few months that Walton County is considering options for lifeguard programs. But none have been approved as far as I know. I hope SWFD will develop a beach patrol/lifeguard program that will provide highly effective patrol and rescue - making it worth the investment.

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
I personally would hate to see lifeguards stationed on our beaches. One of the things we love most about our beaches is being able to enjoy the beauty and sereness without being watched over. Folks surely know that danger exists if you venture out too far into the ocean. Educating the public is the key. We already have the flags out that warn of danger. Parents are responsible for their children; putting a lifeguard out there may just give some parents a false sense of security. I personally love things just the way they are!! :D