• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

NatiBeachLuvr

Beach Comber
Jul 29, 2008
I am searching for some local wineries for our family trip next week. We like the whole tasting-touring experience :D but not looking for high dollar bottles of wine. $10 to $15 will do! I think I found a few online: Chautauqua Vineyard, Emerald Coast Wine, Sea Breeze and Three Oaks. Have any of you been to these before? Are they worth the drive from Seacrest area? Is there more than just a tasting room to see?

I took note of some other posts about local wine tastings. I will be sure to look into those but would also like to go to a winery that sells only their own label.

Thanks for your time and input! :wave:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
You are looking in the wrong part of the Country for vineyards. The major varietals don't grow well here in Florida. I've seen only sign for one of the above-mentioned, and it is located off of I-10 in Defuniak Springs. Never been tempted to go.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I've had wine from Chatauqua and Sea Breeze, but haven't visited the wineries yet.

Definitely worth it if you're in their area and seeing other things IMO, but don't know if a special trip just for each could be disappointing.

jamnolfin

Beach Lover
Mar 6, 2007
You are looking in the wrong part of the Country for vineyards. The major varietals don't grow well here in Florida. I've seen only sign for one of the above-mentioned, and it is located off of I-10 in Defuniak Springs. Never been tempted to go.

Your wrong dude. It depends on what you like. I dont like wine but I do like muscadine wine which is the major grape grown in Florida. It all depends on what you like because at the end of the day one grape wont get you any more drunk than another grape. I know your type you are probably a cork sniffer.

NatiBeachLuvr

Beach Comber
Jul 29, 2008
I know the vineyard will most likely Not be in the back yard but looking for a "winery" or "wine celler" that sell their own product. It would be a bonus if they did have the vineyard right there and I think one of them do?? A lot of wineries I visited use other land and have their vats in a different location than where they have their tastings and sales. I did read on two of the listed wineries that they have a tour of their facility and how they make their wine. Just hoping someone may have visited to give me a heads up.:party:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Your wrong dude. It depends on what you like. I dont like wine but I do like muscadine wine which is the major grape grown in Florida. It all depends on what you like because at the end of the day one grape wont get you any more drunk than another grape. I know your type you are probably a cork sniffer.

The only reason to smell a cork is to determine if a bacteria or mold has formed that would cause the wine to have a bad taste so as to not bruise the palatte. This only works on natural corks and would not apply to an artificial cork or screw cap.

I know the vineyard will most likely Not be in the back yard but looking for a "winery" or "wine celler" that sell their own product. It would be a bonus if they did have the vineyard right there and I think one of them do?? A lot of wineries I visited use other land and have their vats in a different location than where they have their tastings and sales. I did read on two of the listed wineries that they have a tour of their facility and how they make their wine. Just hoping someone may have visited to give me a heads up.:party:

The two that scooterbug mentioned are good. There is also a retail store in PCB at Joan Ave and Thomas drive in the St. Thomas Plaza called the PCB winery. They do not make the wine here, it is made in south Florida and shipped here. It is interesting to say the least. It is all fruit wine, but not to be confused with Arbor Mist. The taste of the actual fruit really comes thru and the product is high quality. In fact it is the only alcoholic beverage in the world with the Florida Citrus seal.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005

The Chautauqua Winery (at 331 & I-10) in DeFuniak has a small vineyard there on site. A larger vineyard is north of DeFuniak on Highway 1883. There is a short tour at the Winery and a small gift shop. If you like Muscadine wine, then I suggest Carlos; there is also another wine which I don't remember the name of, but the beautiful blue bottle is worth the price of the wine.;-)

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal
The only reason to smell a cork is to determine if a bacteria or mold has formed that would cause the wine to have a bad taste so as to not bruise the palatte. This only works on natural corks and would not apply to an artificial cork or screw cap.

Or Box Wine!:rotfl:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Muscadines or Scuppernongs. They just aren't major grape varietals. The major grape varietals in the US are Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir, Merlot, Chardonnay, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Cabernet Franc. You might throw in Riesling, too, though they like cooler weather. I'm not sure with which part of my statement you say is wrong.

I'm not a cork sniffer because I've never had a desire to be in the cork business. I have studied wines for numerous hours at college-level classes. I have taught classes in wines. I have worked in a vineyard. I have worked in a winery. I have grown Scuppernongs and Muscadines. I have made my own wine in a thermos. I have a friend who makes his own wine in South GA, mostly from Scuppernongs. I can enjoy a $5 bottle of good wine, and I can tell you most any major of varietal of wine by simply seeing it in the glass. I don't recall saying that any wine you may find, produced in this area is shi-ite, though I'm not blind to the fact that we are not in wine country.