• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

cabythesea

Beach Lover
Jan 16, 2009
The problem here in SUV nation may be the people complaining about the golf carts (rightfully so) are the same people letting their dogs run unleashed on the beach (and not cleaning up after them), stomping on the dunes. The focus needs to be on the Meth Labs...

Mello Yolo

Beach Comber
Jul 31, 2012
Caby, sorry, but your logic trail eludes me. From SUVs and golf carts, to canine fecal matter, to crystal meth labs? Wow!

If you're suggesting dogs on meth should not drive SUVs and golf carts on 30A, I guess I'd have to agree with that......

meowracer

Beach Comber
Jun 25, 2012
One thing I like to do when I am there is ride my bike. It's nice to have the safe bike paths. The bike paths are not safe in Seaside. There are so many people, but at least these are people just not paying attention, only going walking speed. I generally just push my bike through Seaside. However, the problem I've had with these low speed vehicle things is not teens...it's adults. I was nearly hit TWICE by the same guy. I think he thought it was funny, given the fact that he was chuckling. It was one of those extra long ones, filled with people. I gave him a piece of my mind after the second time and headed towards the quiet paths toward Grayton. If I am on a bike an obeying street laws, then I expect a motorized vehicle to do the same.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Some people might not be aware that the striped area adjacent to a handicapped parking space is actually a legal part of the space - it is the loading and unloading area. Twice lately I have seen golf carts parked in these areas at the Blue Mountain beach access and at Seaside and several other areas around town.
I really wish WCSO would start writing tickets for this, for driving carts on the bike path, for driving non-street legal carts on 30A, and for numerous other violations. I agree with meowracer - motorized vehicles should obey the laws.

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
I think it's silly to allow these things on 30A. After all, it's not an enclosed golf-cart community. However, if they continue to be allowed and one of the reasons for that is a desire not to shut down business opportunities, why not make the solution another business opportunity? Let businesses bid for the right to enforce ordinances and collect fines on rule breakers. Between illegally parked LSVs, dogs on the beach, and littering someone should be able to make a living off of encouraging good behavior. Better living through fines.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
I think it's silly to allow these things on 30A
Well, you have to ask, which things? My understanding is if they are street legal and have a Florida license plate, state law takes precedence and they are allowed on roads with a speed limit of 35 or less. If they are golf carts without license plates, then they are already not allowed on 30A and ought to be ticketed. And they are already not allowed on the bike path, so those ought to be ticketed too.
It sounds to me like what you are suggesting is that we outsource law enforcement.
I dunno about that. I can see a lot of potential conflicts there.
But I agree, fines are in order. Seems as though the fines ought to pay enough to fund one LEO who does nothing but enforce the issues you listed.
If people can't behave, make them pay.

meowracer

Beach Comber
Jun 25, 2012
My dad works for the City of Houston, working as a volunteer, writing tickets to illegally parked vehicles in handicapped spots. Any car without a tag/license, etc, or parked over the line, or in the marked spots next to the parking place (like the diagonal spots that motorcycles love to park in) gets a ticket. If these *vehicles* are parking illegally, or any vehicle for that matter, maybe SoWal has a program like that to allow citizens to write tickets. He had to go through an orientation, I think, but it was quick and he really enjoys his duty! I would love to have had some vehicle number to report the people who nearly hit me (and I'm fairly certain alcohol was involved.) It's a miracle that nobody has been seriously injured (that I know of) but these carts, or other cars, along 30A.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I would gladly donate time to write tickets.

Ticket pad, pen, and a digital camera to provide evidence of wrongdoing (in case it is questioned) and we are in business!

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
My understanding is if they are street legal and have a Florida license plate, state law takes precedence and they are allowed on roads with a speed limit of 35 or less.

The Florida law allowing LSV's also allows localities/municipalities to ban LSVs in the interests of safety on roads under their jurisdiction. That gives Walton County the authority to ban them completely from highway 30A if it wanted.

It sounds to me like what you are suggesting is that we outsource law enforcement.
I dunno about that. I can see a lot of potential conflicts there.
But I agree, fines are in order. Seems as though the fines ought to pay enough to fund one LEO who does nothing but enforce the issues you listed.

I don't care if it's a LEO or a private entity doing the ticketing. I'm not trying to knock law enforcement. I know they write tickets also, but with the volume of minor ordinance offenders increasing I think they could use some help.

I like meowracer's suggestion of volunteer ticketers. That would reduce some of those conflict of interest concerns.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
The Florida law allowing LSV's also allows localities/municipalities to ban LSVs in the interests of safety on roads under their jurisdiction. That gives Walton County the authority to ban them completely from highway 30A if it wanted.

I did not know that, thanks.

I agree the SO could certainly use some help. I like meowracer's suggestion too.