• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
SJ, that's another good point, I'll have to concede, that making LSV's more dynamic on 30-a would probably encourage more lazy behaviour. It is not a one side issue, and there are those that gain by making 30A in its entirety more dynamically and COHESIVELY accepting of LSV's as some have apparently proposed.

You've hit the nail on the head with the point about Watersound area being the stretch that has 45 mph, and being the area that really is in question herein. I think it would be neat for folks in Watercolor, or Watersound, or Rosemary, or Seaside, or Seacrest, or Grayton, to enjoy the amentiies, grocery stores, shops, events, rep theater, etc, without having to pile everyone in the suburban america issue Nissan Armada. I really can see folks in Watersound or Seacrest totally preferring to ride an LSV down to Seagrove to pick up a cocktail and appetizer at La Botana, then run down to Seaside for some music on the central square and to take in the view from the Tarpon Club for a minute, before heading back to Watersound, stopping at Goatfeathers or Cocoons for some grub. I can envision the same thing for folks in Seagrove, who want to go and grab a coffee in Alys Beach, head to Rosemary for a photo op with Karl Rove, etc. Then again, in a better world, everyone would bike to do all those things, but that's the behaviour that I don't really see changing ... I see those that like to bike, walk etc, will continue to do that, and those who don't like to or can't get around that way, have no choice really, but to use the low mileague 6000lb curb weight vehicle to get around for fun or errands.

Lastly, one possible solution is that if the 1.4 Mile stretch of vaunted 45 MPH pavement is deemed by you all to be the pentultimate flex capacitor time saver/blackhole/accelerator then fine, would reasonable folks then agree, to for that stretch only, incorporate an additional cart path lane for LSV's. I think that solution is a bit over the top, but I'm having trouble really seeing how that little stretch is so valuable. What we really need is a couple pullover areas, for courtesy to rein - for Bikers and LSV's alike. A common sense approach. Lastly, I think the LSV statute for Florida is way too loosely written, for purposes of 30A. It does allow quite a bit of room, for way too slow and not 35MPH worthy "golf carts" to become licensed with addition of a taped on mirror, reflectors, make shift turn signals etc.... I think some of those currently opposed and many others may agree to allow LSV's more dynamic cohesive access to 30A if Walton County required some road worthiness beyond whats contained in the statute itself.

I think allowing LSV's more dynamic access to 30A in the end, actually willl have an additional effect of increasing the enjoyment and therefore value, of any house that is further than 300 yards away from the beach. That means that gulf front becomes a little less exclusive, as does very close to the beach property. This makes beach front ownership or beach proximity a bit less exclusive, in that it socializes some access issues, even in South Walton where there is a very finite amount of buildable lots .

peace grease and chicken wings,
out

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Robertsondavies, the problem with your last argument is simply that generally the people who prefer LSV's to bicycles or walking are lazy or "right now" kind of people. They aren't going to take a leisurely drive down 30A for 20 minutes from Water Sound to Seagrove, they are going to use the SUV as it will afford them the ability to fly through the 35 mph areas at 45-50. They are not concerned with being green, they are concerned about getting somewhere quickly. Thus the LSV to get to the beach, community pool, or other area IN their communities.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
There are many stretches of 30-A that are 45MPH. I don't think it will ever be as urbanized that it will be that conducive to LSV. You also have to consider the amount of visitors that drive here. Are they also going to have an LSV parked here in their extremely limited parking spots to begin with? And the more important issue is what about the people that work here? What about delivery trucks, pick-up trucks, 18 wheelers, RE salespeople with multiple clients, anyone with a job? All these people have to get somewhere at a respectable, reliable rate. And that simply isn't going to happened with a influx of LSVs. It's a poor idea pandering to a small minority of visitors with extemely selfish motives, IMHO.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
What about delivery trucks, pick-up trucks, 18 wheelers, RE salespeople with multiple clients, anyone with a job? All these people have to get somewhere at a respectable, reliable rate. And that simply isn't going to happened with a influx of LSVs. It's a poor idea pandering to a small minority of visitors with extemely selfish motives, IMHO.[/QUOTE]

Dude, LSV's are allowed in Seaside, and on most of 30A right now. Has UPS stopped operations in the area? RE Salespeople??? I think they can still manage to get around no? These are your arguments? OK, I don't think I'll convert you to the yes camp. touche

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
It is also 45 mph just west of Grayton Beach.

I'm willing to keep the small tiny stretches west of Grayton industrialized as major thoroughfares at 45 MPH, not 35 MPH, if that will apease the anti LSVers as a compromise. It's literally just the 1.2 mile stretch at Watersound that is at issue.

How much time do folks actually save by going 45 MPH for 1.2 miles, instead of 35 MPH? Any physics or algebra majors here? I'd like to put a number on it. Is it 10 seconds? 15 seconds? I'll be the over under is 8 seconds?

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
SWGB, do you have any interest, tangible or contingent, in any dealership, repair, rental, shine or polishing, leasing, of Large SUVs?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

How much time do folks actually save by going 45 MPH for 1.2 miles, instead of 35 MPH? Any physics or algebra majors here? I'd like to put a number on it. Is it 10 seconds? 15 seconds? I'll be the over under is 8 seconds?
If my old school terrible word problem math is accurate, the calculation would be 11.9994 seconds difference between the two speeds for that distance. However, it has been said that people wont on average ride these at max speed of 35mph, so that would be for the entire distance of the trip, not just the 1.2 miles, and there are other issues being brought up also.

One of my greatest fears is that people will treat the LSV like a golf cart, which are easy to drive, and they will be driven by kids who don't have a driver's license and have no idea of how to drive on a road, and that will lead to some bad stuff.

Can't we just get some old red Pontiac station wagons, remove the doors and install canvas red and white striped tops, and use them like they did in Fantasy Island? "Boss, da plane, da plane!"

Pool Pal

Beach Lover
Sep 27, 2008
www.poolpal.biz
Speed limits along Hwy 30A should be maintained at the safe maximum. Any reduction in speed limit solely to benefit one business or one type of business will be to the economic loss of other businesses who must travel 30A and the connector roads. We all understand that we have to travel 20 mph or less during busy weekends and mid-day during the summer, but to have speed limits reduced the rest of the time and the rest of the year, without any public safety reason, is unreasonable. Public transportation during peak season would reduce the traffic load on Hwy 30A but I would hope it could be accomplished without permanently reducing speed limits along the entire road.