• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

RedDevil

Beach Comber
Mar 31, 2005
Re: Lunch on 30-A @ Pickles

Whatever you do don't eat at Pickles at Seaside!
You can get a Grilled Cheese but everything is overpriced and they make you wait forever! And the food is nothing special.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

RedDevil said:
Whatever you do don't eat at Pickles at Seaside!
You can get a Grilled Cheese but everything is overpriced and they make you wait forever! And the food is nothing special.

So, other than Grilled Cheese on the menu, how are they different than most places here at the Beach? You could get a wrap, large lemonade and chips at Rolly Polly which taste better, but you still get the wait, and it will set you back around $11 bucks if you decide to cheap out and not leave a tip for those who work so hard to prepare it for you. Or, you could go to my secret place and get a great sandwich, pay about $12 including tip, and wait only for a brief period before getting served by some of the nicest people. Don't bother asking me more info about my secret lunch spot in south walton, because I don't like to wait any longer than I have to when it is time to eat lunch.

By the way, prices are reasonably priced relative to the rent they have to pay. I guess they could sell the land for people to build homes, then you could wait even longer as you drive 15 minutes to eat in Freeport, if you can find a seat.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe said:
So, other than Grilled Cheese on the menu, how are they different than most places here at the Beach? You could get a wrap, large lemonade and chips at Rolly Polly which taste better, but you still get the wait, and it will set you back around $11 bucks if you decide to cheap out and not leave a tip for those who work so hard to prepare it for you. Or, you could go to my secret place and get a great sandwich, pay about $12 including tip, and wait only for a brief period before getting served by some of the nicest people. Don't bother asking me more info about my secret lunch spot in south walton, because I don't like to wait any longer than I have to when it is time to eat lunch.

We like Pickles. Great for the kids. We'll order something for them there then take it down to Hurricanes where Mrs and I have some peal n eat and gumbo :cool:

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but Sally's is/was good for a late morning biscuit/Red Bull. Good, cheap and quick! Follow that up by going down to Seaside and asking anyone stepping out of a vehicle with Gator tags if they can spell the word "worcestershire" for 500 bucks. The backup word could be "ambiance".

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Bob said:
I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but Sally's is/was good for a late morning biscuit/Red Bull. Good, cheap and quick! Follow that up by going down to Seaside and asking anyone stepping out of a vehicle with Gator tags if they can spell the word "worcestershire" for 500 bucks. The backup word could be "ambiance".

banned2.gif

John Wheeley Lea was born he was one of three sons and four daughters and was raised in a farming family. As a young man, he chose to become a chemist

William Henry Perrins was born, he was, bizarrely enough, also one of three sons and four daughters and was raised in a farming family. As a young man, he chose to become a chemist.

Lea & Perrins decided to go into partnership together, they had a catalogue prepared ready for their commencement on 1st January 1823 at the Broad Street shop.

Following from their success Lea & Perrins opened a branch shop in Kidderminster. Managed by a Mr Court, the shop was named Lea. Perrins and Court.

Their next branch was opened in Cheltenham in 1834 in the name of Lea & Perrins & Osborne (Mr Osborne being the manager).

Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce began to be produced commercially.

Late 1830s
Showing astute business skills Lea & Perrins arranged to have cases of their sauce on all ocean liners that came in and out of British waters. They paid the stewards to serve the sauce in the dining rooms, which led to passengers requesting to buy a bottle of this new intriguing sauce to take home. Subsequently the fame of Worcestershire Sauce spread very quickly indeed.

John Duncan, a New York entrepreneur ordered a small quantity of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce. In the space of a few short years Duncan was importing large shipments to keep up with demand. Lea & Perrins was the only commercially-bottled condiment and the Americans loved it. When importing the sauce became impractical Duncan opened a processing plant, importing the ingredients from England and using the exact English formula.

Another branch shop opened in Malvern, called Lea & Perrins & Burrows. An office and warehouse was also opened in London.

William Henry Perrins died.

John Wheeley Lea died.

15 December, 1.30am. A fire began in the packing room at the Bank Street factory. Fortunately, it was discovered early and extinguished. The damage was later valued at ?17.11.6d

Charles (son of John Wheeley) retired, thereby ending the Lea family's involvement with the sauce company.

King Edward VII granted the rare Royal Warrant to Lea & Perrins. Lea & Perrins still hold this warrant, the present one having been granted by HRH Queen Elizabeth II.

The secret ingredient was nearly revealed when one of the new partners died. Thankfully L&P realised that a copy of the recipe might be found and gave instructions to seal the envelope containing the information. The secret has thus remained safe.

The King of Spain granted The Spanish Royal Warrant to Lea & Perrins

Lea & Perrins was sold to HP Foods on June 11th.

Fear of an invasion in Worcester led to a reduction of activity at the Midland Road factory. The bottling plant was moved to the premises of HP Foods at Aston Cross, Birmingham to ensure that production was not endangered by the war.

Production of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce continued throughout the war, although on a reduced scale, owing to the shortage of manpower and difficulties in obtaining some of the ingredients. In January bottles had to be distributed with a temporary label as the printers of the sauce labels became a casualty of war.

The War Department, using emergency powers, took possession of the Midland Road factory. The vaults were occupied by the Royal Army Ordinance Corps as a depot for vehicle and tank parts.

In spite of this a small area of the factory was kept secure for the making of the sauce. According to records 22 men and 22 women worked at Lea & Perrins at this time.

Official documents reveal that 22 men and 3 women were working at the factory. They also show that 25 people volunteered their services (as night watchmen and similar).

Throughout the whole war, despite very difficult circumstances, Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce was produced. Every single member of staff who left the factory to be active in the war found their jobs awaiting upon their return. Some ingredients were still very difficult to get hold of but records show that recovery was well on its way.

A serious and quite spectacular fire broke out in the Midland Road factory at 8.06pm. The official report states that twelve appliances and fifty men were required to fight the fire. It took fourteen jets to quell the blaze. A huge amount of damage was caused, although full production was back underway just ten days later.

The French multi-national food company BSN (later re-named Danone) purchased HP Foods Ltd.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
I'm sorry!!!!! I have unleashed a power greater than I may comprehend. I admit my addiction to Red Bull[available at Costco by the case]. It's just that I have seen the mud-beaches of Ga/SC and feel compelled to comment.