• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
no you dont have to contact them. I just thought it was strange. A home is a home is a home...

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Ok, went to the website. Looked at puppies. There are some cute ones on there. :love: Does anyone know why on some of the puppies it states that the dog must stay in mississippi??? Wouldn't a home be a home, whatever state it was in???:dunno:

Wessonpup2.JPG

noah.jpg

064.JPG

How cute. I agree with you, why would it matter whether they were kept in Mississippi or not. Unless they keep up with how they are doing in a new home for a certain time period. Doesn't make since. I would be denied one if I wanted one due to being in Tennessee.

carams

Beach Crab
Jul 6, 2008
I am the office manager for CARA. The reason of animals staying in MS is because those dogs are being placed from individual's homes and are being helped by CARA. Most of the dogs were found by these people & held at their home because of lack of room & money to care for them. A lot of these dogs are not even available by the time someone shows interest in them. Our contract states that all dogs must be returned to CARA if unable to keep. Those that are being placed owner to owner would not be known as CARA dogs. We would have no record of them and not know for sure that we did help place them. It would be hard to transport a dog out of state because of this. Most of these owners would have no contract nor application for us to verify their adoption. We like to be able to follow up on the dogs from the shelter & can't do that for those we help place from homes. I hope this helps people understand the reason for dogs to be adopted in MS only.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
The no-kill shelter in Bay County (Panama City), FL was also on the local news last night saying they are struggling financially, and may have to close if they cannot raise enough money. They say they are non-profit and that they cannot receive grants, so money is tough and costs are on the rise. They are trying to raise $100,000 to stay open until some other fund raisers are held. Currently, they have raised $16,000 toward that goal.

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
The problem is overwhelming and has bothered me for some time. Google "animal rescue" or go to "petfinder.com". You will find thousands of urgent pleas. I know that the Bay County shelter got quite a bit of help awhile back but as was noted here, one shelter could require $1,000/day to maintain.$365,000/year for each shelter! How can donors support this?

HSUS estimates that there are 4,000-6,000 shelters in the US. That's $1.4 -$2.2 BILLION per year to maintain these animals. It's estimated that 25% of these pets are purebred. Approximately 50% of all animals entering shelters, are euthanized. How do we stop killing these innocents that get no more respect from the average person than their car does? In many cases less.

IMHO we need laws. I would love to see the AKC abolished. It is the notion of purebred superiority that they started and continue to perpetuate which causes people to breed animals for money. Secondly, it is the ignorant owner who purchases pets and doesn't spay them. Or the loving owner who wants to experience the joy of puppidom. Seeing one beautiful soul euthanized for lack of someone to love should be enough for them to put aside their own paternal needs and selflessly spay their animal so that others can live.

How about how "cute" a puppy or kitty is and then when they are no longer cute, they are put on Craig's list, or Sowal.com or worse yet, left in a vacated house or thrown from a car.

FOR EVERY ONE THAT IS BORN, ANOTHER ONE DIES

It breaks my heart and I feel so helpless. We had a great event yesterday trying to help Alaqua which is a grain of sand on the beach. A handful of people turned out to help. An extremely modest number of people even showed up and a small number of them donated $5. WHY???????

There was legislation to limit breeding last year but it still allowed "licensed" breeders to breed. WTF was that? I would like to see the "SALE" of animals of any kind outlawed. Maybe when we have 0 animal births, we can start adopting them from other countries - it would cost less than it does now to feed, house and euthanize them. Selling human organs is illegal. I just can't understand why it's illegal to sell a child but not an animal. ALL life is precious and should not be subject to being sold for a profit.

exc9781425108656_2.jpg

We like to think that it's only the abusers and dog fighters that are part of the problem but it is the puppies that we breed and the family pet that was given away because he barked too much. It should be a lifetime commitment. If we can't do that, we shouldn't take them. Maybe when the breeders can't sell their puppies, they won't make more. Supply and Demand. Help stop the demand for purebred animals. It is now "chic" to adopt and to wear faux fur if that's what motivates you.

I don't know how to do it but if anyone knows someone who can work through the system to lobby for legislation, I would love to be the force to make it happen. Can I put together a presentation for anyone? Can we get a county law to make the sale illegal. Can the educated and creative people of sowal start a trend?

Ever occur to you why some of us can be this concerned with animals
suffering but government is not. Why? Animals don't vote.
Paul Harvey

I dare one politician to care enough.
I apologize for this and I try real hard not to push my beliefs on anyone. I believe in freedom and I respect each person's right to choose their own paths but I also know that many good people are simply not exposed to the facts regarding animals. For me, when I became aware, my only choice was to stop buying pets, stop eating meat, stop wearing fur and stop using leather. This is MY choice and I don't judge anyone who supports any of these practices. None of my family and friends live as I do but they respect my right and I respect theirs. Please don't slam me for posting this. I have the right to post it just as you have the right to post beach concerns and cyclers on the street.

For those that want to know, I was a HUGE meat eater. I took a 30day challenge to stop eating meat and it worked. I don't need it. I feel better. Slowly weight is coming off (now that I found ways to eat something other than carbs) and my gastric reflux has nearly disappeared. Now if something could shock me into exercising, I'd be thrilled :rofl: What caused such a change in me? Beach Bummett did and she didn't mean to :clap: but I thank her for it. She sent me a link to sign a PETA petition when Michael Vick was arrested. I need to say that I don't agree with the tactics of Ingrid Newkirk but for those who WANT to know, Sunshine's website offers a way for you to learn what you want without being exposed to things that you don't want to know. No graphic movies pop up in your face and no horrible images. YOU are told in text and you can decide to click or not to click on the information regarding many various animal issues. Her webpage on our concerns is:

When a man wants to murder a tiger he calls it sport; when the tiger wants
to murder him he calls it ferocity. George Bernard Shaw

My dad is better and I'm ready to focus on other things that are important to me. If there's anyone else like me out there, let's assemble. Let's brainstorm. Let's do lunch (even if you eat meat :rotfl:). Let's do what we can with no pushing, guilting or expectations. If there are 10 or 20 of us that can spend 1 hour a month maybe we can make a change for just one animal, maybe more.

$1 buys 3 cans of food. Donate whatever you can to these shelters :love: until we can make bigger changes - I did.

CPort

Beach Fanatic
Feb 15, 2007
Clearbranch, Miss
I am the office manager for CARA. The reason of animals staying in MS is because those dogs are being placed from individual's homes and are being helped by CARA. Most of the dogs were found by these people & held at their home because of lack of room & money to care for them. A lot of these dogs are not even available by the time someone shows interest in them. Our contract states that all dogs must be returned to CARA if unable to keep. Those that are being placed owner to owner would not be known as CARA dogs. We would have no record of them and not know for sure that we did help place them. It would be hard to transport a dog out of state because of this. Most of these owners would have no contract nor application for us to verify their adoption. We like to be able to follow up on the dogs from the shelter & can't do that for those we help place from homes. I hope this helps people understand the reason for dogs to be adopted in MS only.
:welcome:fellow Mississippian!

carams

Beach Crab
Jul 6, 2008
CARA closure

CARA is housing over 300 dogs & 70 cats. There are countless animals in foster care that we also trying to help place. Our daily expenses run over $1500 daily. That doesn't include the discount by vets. We also get no grants are government aid. Oh BTW -- HI Beach Bum!

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Unfortunately, Mississippi is a state where dogs are dumped off in people's yards. Cats also. I cannot tell you how many I see wandering Hwy 72 in Northeast Ms., pitiful. I'm not saying dogs are not dumped out where I live because they are, but in the country it is more prevalent.

wracso

Beach Lover
Jul 7, 2007
Even a small contribution helps the shelters. I will do my part for both the Mississippi and the Bay County shelters. I know the Bay County shelter has contacted larger businesses and some are setting up large events such as silent auctions and wine tastings which can bring in much larger donations. We all just need to our part, no matter how large or small to save these animals. Anything helps- just need to get the word out!

CPort

Beach Fanatic
Feb 15, 2007
Clearbranch, Miss
[quote=Lady D;432844]Unfortunately, Mississippi is a state where dogs are dumped off in people's yards. Cats also. I cannot tell you how many I see wandering Hwy 72 in Northeast Ms., pitiful. I'm not saying dogs are not dumped out where I live because they are, but in the country it is more prevalent.[/quote]
:nono1: