• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
If we would end the war and stop wasting lives and hundreds of billions of dollars , we could invest here in America. We must get our fiscal house in order in America. The enormous waste of taxpayer money is mind boggling !! Earmarks or whatever the hell Pelosi is calling them must end. Too much corruption in Washington and in the rest of state gov't too. The next president needs a veto pen with indelible ink. We don't need tax increases but we do need spending discipline. I shutter to think what will happen if the Chinese and the Petro dollar sheiks decide not to buy U.S. treasuries or rollover the debt when it comes due. We would be in financial chaos if that ever happened. It would be economic warfare and we would LOSE. The more we borrow the more we are slittting our economic neck. We need to concentrate on the enormous problems facing us and stop being the big bully around the world !!! If countries want to be democratic, let them fight and create it themselves. We can help and encourage but the dieing for it is not our responsibility. I am fed up with all the money we spend here and abroad. It is an enormous waste. Help Western Europe,( the new French gov't may actually help us), Israel and the nations in our hemisphere but flip everyone else the bird. Time to stop being the biggest patsy on Earth.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
If we would end the war and stop wasting lives and hundreds of billions of dollars , we could invest here in America. We must get our fiscal house in order in America. The enormous waste of taxpayer money is mind boggling !! Earmarks or whatever the hell Pelosi is calling them must end. Too much corruption in Washington and in the rest of state gov't too. The next president needs a veto pen with indelible ink. We don't need tax increases but we do need spending discipline. I shutter to think what will happen if the Chinese and the Petro dollar sheiks decide not to buy U.S. treasuries or rollover the debt when it comes due. We would be in financial chaos if that ever happened. It would be economic warfare and we would LOSE. The more we borrow the more we are slittting our economic neck. We need to concentrate on the enormous problems facing us and stop being the big bully around the world !!! If countries want to be democratic, let them fight and create it themselves. We can help and encourage but the dieing for it is not our responsibility. I am fed up with all the money we spend here and abroad. It is an enormous waste. Help Western Europe,( the new French gov't may actually help us), Israel and the nations in our hemisphere but flip everyone else the bird. Time to stop being the biggest patsy on Earth.

Goofer,

Geeze bud...unless you've got the farm tied up with Brookstreet Securities, just open a cold one and enjoy the sunset--the economic meltdown isn't going to happen overnight. The Chinese will get what's coming to them when they discover all those USA subprime CDOs aren't worth the paper they're printed on :cool:

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen
Goofer,

Geeze bud...unless you've got the farm tied up with Brookstreet Securities, just open a cold one and enjoy the sunset--the economic meltdown isn't going to happen overnight. The Chinese will get what's coming to them when they discover all those USA subprime CDOs aren't worth the paper they're printed on :cool:

If you ever write a book, fiction or non-fiction, can I get on the list to proof or just see a rough draft? I've been lurking the last 5 months or so and catching up on posts. Your's have stood out. Fell off my chair a time or two laughing and I can't find any reason to to argue with you....yet. Don't really want to though either.:shock:

6thGen

Beach Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
Well spoken, free trade comrade. No go check your "made in" labels on all the items in your office, and tell me if that strengthens our country in both economic and diplomatic terms. Let's see, who invented the word "kowtow".

I believe that there would be more damage to the Chinese if we quit purchasing their goods than there is to us for purchasing them. For an example, look at your premise that Wal-Mart destroys small towns by eliminating small businesses (that overcharge). When folks quit buying from the small businesses and buy from Wal-Mart, the consumers win via more disposable income and the producers, or distributers lose their source of income. Unless we are forced to purchase from the Chinese, we are in the driver's seat.

Last edited:

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
I believe that there would be more damage to the Chinese if we quit purchasing their goods than there is to us for purchasing them. For an example, look at your premise that Wal-Mart destroys small towns by eliminating small businesses (that overcharge). When folks quit buying from the small businesses and buy from Wal-Mart, the consumers win via more disposable income and the producers, or distributers lose their source of income. Unless we are forced to purchase from the Chinese, we are in the driver's seat.
Yes, I've heard the we can default, we can quit buying argument. It's what an economic junkie would say waiting for the next debt sale fix. If China undertakes an invasion of a sovereign state such as Taiwan, we will look the other way out of economic dependence and expediency born of short sighted "profit before country" policies. Free trade is not to be worshipped as religion, because it has a very dark side of unintended consequences. Imagine allowing free trade the ability to gut our agricultural sector. Just like the Tolstoy quote about not knowing the horrors of war until someone close to you dies, if you've not been sacked because of our whore-like relationship with China, who cares....right?

6thGen

Beach Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
Yes, I've heard the we can default, we can quit buying argument. It's what an economic junkie would say waiting for the next debt sale fix. If China undertakes an invasion of a sovereign state such as Taiwan, we will look the other way out of economic dependence and expediency born of short sighted "profit before country" policies. Free trade is not to be worshipped as religion, because it has a very dark side of unintended consequences. Imagine allowing free trade the ability to gut our agricultural sector. Just like the Tolstoy quote about not knowing the horrors of war until someone close to you dies, if you've not been sacked because of our whore-like relationship with China, who cares....right?

Everything has unintinded consequences. Capitalism and free trade might not be perfect policy, but it is the best we've come up with.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Everything has unintinded consequences. Capitalism and free trade might not be perfect policy, but it is the best we've come up with.

I guess this depends on whether your job has been outsourced to "Bob" in Bangalore or not.

Last edited: