• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Wildernester

Beach Lover
Apr 29, 2005
Chatta/Grayton
As we walk along the 30a walking/bike path we see signs prohibiting motorized vehicles. Why must we dodge battery powered motorized bicycles traveling at high rates of speed and barely under control? Serious injury is inevitable.

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
Right!

It has been discussed here. Electric bikes, scooters, etc need to be kept off bike path but problem is the definition of electric bikes because most also have pedals and can be ridden without motor engaged. A speed limit could be added to bike path but lord we don't need more signs in SoWal we have sign pollution issues now. And enforcement isn't going to happen. It has gotten extremely hard to get people to behave with any regard to others. So many bad apples in society especially when on vacation. Take note of people on vacation and you see their real selves. Many are happy and nice but so many are rushed and upset.
/rantOFF

LPT: if you return from vacation needing a vacation you're doing it wrong.

Duchess

Beach Lover
Sep 11, 2005
Blue Mountain Beach/Reynoldstown
On a somewhat similar note, on Sunday I saw a golf cart driver get cited for driving on the bike path just east of Blue Mountain Creamery. It was neither SWPD nor the Posse, but a different type of patrol car. I'm sorry I can't remember. The guy look surprised and I was so happy to see it.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
One thing to note on the signs is that the ordinance is from 1998. Back then it was only the occasional golf cart and 4 wheelers that were really around. If you want to keep all motorized vehicles off the path the ordinance would have to be updated (I'm assuming it has not been). I don't see anything happening seeing how there are multiple bike rental places renting e-bikes. The e-bikes are the big issue. The problem arises when you have kids riding class 3 e-bikes wide open. They have a top speed of 28mph, and sadly, nobody is going to obey a speed limit sign

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
I would rather see folks riding e-bikes on the trail than driving cars or LSV on the road. However, Will does make a valid point about kids going too fast and being dangerous with them.

SUP Boarder

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2019
Seacrest
Good News. The Planning Commission approved / recommended a proposed mobility plan for BCC consideration in April. The mobility plan includes implementation of "multimodal lanes" along 30a to address this issue. Bad News. It may take up to 20 years to fully complete.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I saw a guy this past weekend walking the invisible line after being pulled over on a golf cart.

Motorized bicycles and scooters are allowed on the bike path and on streets. Updating the ordinance will do nothing as that allowance was made at the state level and the county can't override the state.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I saw a guy this past weekend walking the invisible line after being pulled over on a golf cart.

Motorized bicycles and scooters are allowed on the bike path and on streets. Updating the ordinance will do nothing as that allowance was made at the state level and the county can't override the state.
Seems to me that a county built path would be separate from any laws that govern vehicles on the road. They are two different animals. You sure about that?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Yup.
Seems to me that a county built path would be separate from any laws that govern vehicles on the road. They are two different animals. You sure about that?
Motorized bicycles and scooters can go anywhere their unmotorized counter parts can.