• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

kdp4th

Beach Lover
Feb 8, 2006
Duluth
Agreed, and the person I am referring to seems quite content to wake up on Seagrove Beach each day, use the public facilities, hop on his bike and go see where he can scare up a sandwich. There is a difference between "homeless" and a very willing "beach bum". Both need to be addressed in Sowal, and this recent tragedy highlights the importance of reporting trespassers. Our neighborhood board will be encouraging people to report this kind of thing to the sheriff.

We have witnessed what appears to be a homeless person at the Santa Clara beach access and have contacted the TDC who told us they were aware of the situation but had no jurisdiction and suggested we call the non emergency number for the sheriff's department, 850.267.2000.

pilot1945

Beach Crab
Jun 20, 2011
Bad Idea

From the responses to my post, and from the nature of this 'Forum', I realize I made a big mistake in speaking my mind on this subject. The basis of this site and the nature of the postings tells me that the concensus here is to apologize for this random act and be satisfied it could not have been prevented.

Given that any such act is by its nature unpredictable. However, one of the early posters put very sucinctly. He said that some people should just get out of the way of those who do have a solution, who are realists and have seen this situation either avoided or at least mitigated over time. That could mean any number of tangible actions such as incarceration for vagrancy, trespassing or assault, all having happened prior to the violence last week. Any judge viewing the facts would have remanded this man to a facility for examination, and ordered him detained indefinitely as a threat to society. It sounds like his parents would have cooperated in this effort.

I too have sympathy and offer my own prayers for the family. I just hope that next time we all re-evaluate our attitude of helplessness and do some proactive. What could it hurt?

If I offended anyone with my post, I apologize. Not necessary to counter my opinions. I'm off the air.

beachgirl8

Beach Crab
Jan 13, 2011
I am a single mom currently in seagrove with my young child. The past 3 nights we have seen the same 2 men in the same clothes at sunset drinking and smoking at the bottom if the walkover. It does make me feel uneasy when we walk past them at night. The reason we come to sowal is for the safety. We use the walkover by Tom thumb. This is our first stay in seagrove. In the past we stayed in seacrest. I realize nowhere is perfect but sowal is close for me. I question whether to return to seagrove or stay where there is security on site such as Rosemary. Thoughts? Thanks! We have enjoyed our stay however.

jpbhen

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2005
Seagrove/Cincinnati
Also, as to the Bramble Grove man; I think I know who you are referring too and I am tired of him being there. He has been lurking and approaching vacationers up and down 30A for years.......seems like every time we are down we see him annoying someone. He seems to think he is charming. Have I described the right guy?

yes - EXACTLY. not "homeless" - a hobo. hits people on the beach for $$.

jpbhen

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2005
Seagrove/Cincinnati
I am a single mom currently in seagrove with my young child. The past 3 nights we have seen the same 2 men in the same clothes at sunset drinking and smoking at the bottom if the walkover. It does make me feel uneasy when we walk past them at night. The reason we come to sowal is for the safety. We use the walkover by Tom thumb. This is our first stay in seagrove. In the past we stayed in seacrest. I realize nowhere is perfect but sowal is close for me. I question whether to return to seagrove or stay where there is security on site such as Rosemary. Thoughts? Thanks! We have enjoyed our stay however.
yes - uneasy is the word. the men live there. the camp should not be there. there ARE facilities for those who need help. these men choose to live this life - and it is somewhat creepy. we have observed them panhandling on most occasions that we see them at their camp. it is obvious that the authorities know they are there and choose not to do anything about it. why is that?

jpbhen

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2005
Seagrove/Cincinnati
Not really, because he wasn't doing anything (as far as we know) that was illegal. If every guy who ever hit on girls in Seaside was watched closely then we would have other problems.

A friend of mine told me that someone we knew had murdered a tourist in Seagrove, and this guy was my first guess. He was the kind of kid that you were nice to because you hoped that when he went on a killing spree, he would let you live.

But despite all this, he never did anything that anyone could do something about. It's the same thing with Jared Loughner. He got dismissed from college and the professor felt he was dangerous, but nobody can do anything until he goes on a murderous rampage.

There is no easy solution to this problem.

this is the point that i was trying to make yesterday - you did it so much better than i!

jpbhen

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2005
Seagrove/Cincinnati
We have witnessed what appears to be a homeless person at the Santa Clara beach access and have contacted the TDC who told us they were aware of the situation but had no jurisdiction and suggested we call the non emergency number for the sheriff's department, 850.267.2000.
thanks and good luck!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
A friend of mine told me that someone we knew had murdered a tourist in Seagrove, and this guy was my first guess. He was the kind of kid that you were nice to because you hoped that when he went on a killing spree, he would let you live.

Wow.

Sorry, but statements like that make me think there were prior actions of his that someone could have acted on.

You compare him to Loughner, but at least Loughner was banned from school until he got psychiatric help.