• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

physes

Beach Comber
Jun 15, 2005
Nashville
I know that I will either get slammed pretty good or totally ignored with this post but I can not go without saying something.
This is my reality.
I have been coming to Seagrove and Grayton for about 15 years now. I have stayed in several places throughout the area. All of the houses have been very nice and the beaches were beautiful. My family and I have always had a wonderful and memorable time. We always have had a large group varying in age from 72 yrs to 3 yrs. After my mother passed away we wanted to continue the tradition and I thought it was a wonderful way to let my children and grand children and nieces and nephews have fun together and have at least one week a year to see each other. My family comes from as far away as Caracas and as close as around the corner from me. I spend all year long planning this vacation. I have researched and planned and feel like I know everything there is to know about the area. At one time I had high expectations of being able to live there(that is now a futile dream since the properties are so outrageously expensive). I look for just the right house that will accomodate all that are going, that has a pool for the younger children, easy beach access especially so we can keep up with the teenagers, a view of the water (beacuse we can't afford to stay right on the water), within walking distance of shops and restaurants so we don't have to get in the car if we don't want to. This year we found what I thought to be the perfect house, it had everything, I was so excited.
I work 7 days a week, every week, all year to be able to afford this one week for my family. I am not rich but I love to give this to them.
I know that no one has any control over the weather or natural disasters. I know that most of the people that own houses there and that live and work there are very nice and kind. I got on this site mainly to try and get information about any damage. It has been very helpful for that and I appreciated it. I have not appreciated hearing about the bad renters or how I should be made to feel guilty about not wanting especially to spend my vacation cleaning the beach.
So Saturday morning we will get in the car and drive 8 hours and try to find the beach and have a wonderful time.

GraytonBound

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
The Nooga
Come on down & have a great time :welcome:

I'm an owner & I don't expect anyone to pay a high price for a week in paradise, only to come down & clean up. Our family spent the first day cleaning & taking pics, but since then have been having fun enjoying the pool & Grayton. We feel fortunate to come down several times a year so didn't feel giving up a day or so was a big deal. But for those of you who get to spend a week here, don't feel guilty about having a great time!

yes, there may be a small handful of renters that have an "entitled" feeling & don't mind destroying other peoples property, but as others on here have said, for the most part they are wonderful :love:

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
physes said:
I know that I will either get slammed pretty good or totally ignored with this post but I can not go without saying something.
This is my reality.
I have been coming to Seagrove and Grayton for about 15 years now. I have stayed in several places throughout the area. All of the houses have been very nice and the beaches were beautiful. My family and I have always had a wonderful and memorable time. We always have had a large group varying in age from 72 yrs to 3 yrs. After my mother passed away we wanted to continue the tradition and I thought it was a wonderful way to let my children and grand children and nieces and nephews have fun together and have at least one week a year to see each other. My family comes from as far away as Caracas and as close as around the corner from me. I spend all year long planning this vacation. I have researched and planned and feel like I know everything there is to know about the area. At one time I had high expectations of being able to live there(that is now a futile dream since the properties are so outrageously expensive). I look for just the right house that will accomodate all that are going, that has a pool for the younger children, easy beach access especially so we can keep up with the teenagers, a view of the water (beacuse we can't afford to stay right on the water), within walking distance of shops and restaurants so we don't have to get in the car if we don't want to. This year we found what I thought to be the perfect house, it had everything, I was so excited.
I work 7 days a week, every week, all year to be able to afford this one week for my family. I am not rich but I love to give this to them.
I know that no one has any control over the weather or natural disasters. I know that most of the people that own houses there and that live and work there are very nice and kind. I got on this site mainly to try and get information about any damage. It has been very helpful for that and I appreciated it. I have not appreciated hearing about the bad renters or how I should be made to feel guilty about not wanting especially to spend my vacation cleaning the beach.
So Saturday morning we will get in the car and drive 8 hours and try to find the beach and have a wonderful time.

As a condo-owner on 30-A, I just want you to know that the few folks on these threads who've given you the impression that renters are unwelcome and/or should be feeling guilty relaxing while owners are busy working on their homes etc. are the rare exception. The rest of us welcome visitors to our area! What a beautiful gift to be able to give your family....a place by the ocean where they can get together with friends and relatives who they haven't seen in a year or so and be able to enjoy each others company and relax! I've so much enjoyed meeting new folks from around the country. Everyone is always so happy and full of energy. Please keep in mind that much of what you've read in the past few days and weeks is the result of weary owners who's frustration has oozed out into some of their commentary. Please know that you are welcome down here. And regardless of what the recent storms have done to the area, you will still have a great time! Have fun!! :welcome:

katie blue

kt loo
Mar 11, 2005
in perpetual motion
heck, you're already doing the most helpful thing anyway...coming down as a (much-appreciated) tourist and having a good time. that's what we need most of all right now. :welcome:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
trees%20-%2030a-print.jpg

JustBeachy

Beach Lover
Jun 11, 2005
Blue Mtn. Beach
physes said:
This is my reality.

Drive carefully and enjoy your time with your family! Oh and :welcome:

Sheila

SoWal Insider
JustBeachy said:
Drive carefully and enjoy your time with your family! Oh and :welcome:

Vacations are for fun, relaxation and recharging! Enjoy the sun, the pool, and the beach. Heck, life is tooooo short to not have some enjoyment and making those sweet family memories that you cannot put a price tag on. Those are the things that keep you going when life gets crazy!

I have a couple of places and feel very fortunate that I do. We have had a few bad apples. We entered into this knowing we would. Not everyone is going to appreciate and take care of your home away from home. We've dealt with it on a firm but friendly manner. Those by far are the exceptions!!!!! We have been blessed that most folks want to visit us every year. You are the guest everyone wants in their home.

I hope this vacation is one of the best you have had so far! Let us know how it was and please come back as often as you can. :clap_1: :welcome:

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
Well, Physes' post has made me want to post my feelings too. We feel the same way as you; you couldn't have said it better, actually. When the hurricane started to head toward the panhandle, I sent a post and flippantly remarked that we had canceled our flights, rental car and cottage and were heading to Cabo San Lucas instead. Well, we searched and searched and decided that there is NOTHING anywhere in this world that is as beautiful as the beaches in SoWal or the Panhandle!! Nowhere. So, after reading numerous posts, we think we will drive down in August (not fly), and still have a "real" vacation!! We're excited again.

~ It just wouldn't be the same anywhere else ~

prception69

Beach Comber
Jun 26, 2005
Oxford,MS
Don't feel guilty! Don't let a few bad/bitter apples ruin it for you! :D Come down, kick back, relax and enjoy the breeezes coming in off the gulf!