• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

JC

Beach Lover
Re: A few Walton County Commissioners For Sale

Where is the NatureWalk Beach Club project
A few Walton County Commissioners For Sale, really cheap. Actually, I will pay someone to haul them off from Walton County if you promise they want step foot back into Walton County politricks.

Thank God for Cindy Meadows and Sara Commander, but tonight, Walton County was one vote short. :bang: Based on the precedence set tonight at the WalCo Annex, anyone can do what ever the hell they want to when it comes to developing property, because the BCC relies upon the Planning Staff and the Planning Staff says that they rely on the applicant (developer). :evil:

A few people hired some very impressive lawyers (you know how much I hate lawyers, but I would welcome Mike Burke to represent me regarding real estate ) who ripped a new @$$ into the County Planner in charge of this NatureWalk Beach Club project. He ran Planner Tim Brown through the ringer, poking many holes in Mr. Brown's reasoning, showing numerous ways how this proposal for the Beach Club is not allowed based on the Walton County Comp Plan and based on Non-conforming use. Commissioners Pridgen and Jones voted in favor of Comm Brannon's motion. Commissioner Jones even had the audacity to state that he was voting based on evidence presented and the recommendation of the Staff. As a reminder, the Staff Planner, Tim Brown, contradicted his statements, and gave testimony that the project exceeded things like density, and allowable footprint.

Under the Non-conforming issue, a building can not be expanded or it loses its non-conforming use. This Beach Club will triple the square footage of the existing buildings.

I won't go into the details, but know that some of the Walton County Commissioners are not listening to the evidence given and they are basing their votes on something out of this world. I guess it would help if the Commissioners were required to actually remain in the room during the time when evidence and testimony is given. :bang:

A few Walton County Commissioners For Sale, really cheap. Remember it!

BeachSteelers

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2006
Seagrove
Stunning Decision, Not !

Thank You to the 3 Walton County CommiZars who think it best to put a WalMart Size Beachclub in the Middle of Seagrove Beach. Despite Community objections and Invalid building Coventants it appears Big Developement has won again. Wake up 30A if it can happen here it means more obscene developements to come on down the road. Goodbye Turtle Nesting. Welcome to the 7am to 10 pm nuisance soon to invade Seagrove Beach. Welcome to the added Traffic at the 395 stop. While we're at it can't we repeal the 4 story building heights. Let's aim for 50 stories. Panama City's beach sure looks good. Plus that'd bring plenty of campaign envelopes stuffed with Fifties. What else can we all do to appease these developers?

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
Re: A few Walton County Commissioners For Sale

Where is the NatureWalk Beach Club project

It replaces the Seagrove Villas, just east of where 395 intersects 30A.

<Jaundiced viewpoint mode on>

Can't say it's surpising that they voted as they did. After all, they've prviously approved all the other big projects that have sprung up on 30A.

<Oops, jaundiced viewpoint mode won't switch off>

Do we want SoWal to look like Destin, only 4 stories high? It's going to take some serious activism to counter this trend. We can't just sit here and post about it on SoWal. The BCC has to realize that we have the $$$ and the votes. For all the BCC catering to the big developers, I expect that some serious analysis would show that WE are the tax base in Walton County. Their holdings (other than St. Joe) are probably quite small compared to ours. Can't we leverage that?

PS - If anyone's thinking of running for BCC, don't run as a Democrat in WalCo. :bang:

Last edited:

NotnKansas

Beach Lover
Aug 3, 2006
SOWAL, FL
Re: Stunning Decision, Not !

Where is this going to be? Wow - we need to get away from the PCB outlook! If I wanted to live with all of the traffic and trashy buildings, I would have moved there! :dunno:

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington

Well, I wrote to the three commissioners. I'd suggest others do the same. If last night did nothing else, it illustrated perfectly who is in the pocket of developers and who is honest and has healthy respect for the laws. It's time for those of us complaining to start getting involved politically.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

rapunzel, please don't stop with only the three emails. Be sure to let Commissioners Commander and Meadows know that you are thankful for their votes against Comm. Brannon's motion, last night. They need to know that their decision was the right decision. Too often, Commissioners here only the negative.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama

Where is this going to be? Wow - we need to get away from the PCB outlook! If I wanted to live with all of the traffic and trashy buildings, I would have moved there! :dunno:

Where the Seagrove Villa's and Motel currently reside. :sosad:

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider

Has anyone seen renderings or literature detailing the plans? As far as developments go, the main area of NatureWalk seems like such a nice one ... so much green space and thoughtfulness. What on earth is the beach club supposed to look like, exactly?

I believe NatureWalk paid $16 million for the Villas, so I guess they will be trying to recoup some of the investment on condos at the beach club. But it is odd to me that someone who got kudos on this site and in the community for taking great care with site planning would want to throw up something huge and unsuitable on a the beachfront parcel.

I just expected more. So someone, please elaborate more about the beach club plans. I want to hear what these commissioners agreed to.