• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mullismom

Beach Crab
Oct 14, 2006
The only fishing my husband and I have ever done is for perch on Lake Erie. We have always wanted to do a deep sea trip and will be at Seaside for Thanksgiving. What types of fish can be caught this time of year? Want to have fish for dinner when I come home, love amberjack, tuna, red snapper and grouper... How cold will it be on the water? What size boat would you recommend for deep sea trip? Do the locals do deep sea fishing this time of year or is this something only a first timer would consider?

Would appreciate if you can give me a sense of what the trip will be like, so we will know if this is how we want to use our time and money. Thanks in advance for your help. Great web site.

Capt. William

Beach Comber
Aug 30, 2006
Port St. Joe
I would recommend Dead Fish Charters Capt. Larry Pentel 850-685-1092

I know he is fully booked that weekend except for thanksgiving morning last I talked to him. He beach launches off of grayton beach so you don't have to drive to destin. Since you are already so close good fishing you only run about 10-15mins before you have a line in the water.

The weather can be cold but it can also be 80 degrees you never know in florida. The fishing is generally real good this time of year.

Last edited:

jd_johnson

Beach Comber
Jun 27, 2006
Where on Lake Erie did you fish? I grew up on Lake Erie.
Also - FYI - I'm pretty sure that red snapper season closes at the end of October - but there are other good fish out there.
As far as chartering a fishing trip, you may also want to check with Sam Wesley - he lives right there in Grayton....I don't have his number handy, but maybe someone else will. Like most local guys he launches from the beach - so you don't have to drive to PC or Destin.
AND as Capt William said - Thanksgiving can be pretty cool - so you may wish to check the weather closer to your arrival before booking a charter.

mullismom

Beach Crab
Oct 14, 2006
My family had a cottage in Port Clinton when I was growing up, I could not give you an address, but it was withing walking distance of the Dairy Queen, abutted a trailor park right on the water.

My husband & I had a boat at Copper Kettle in Lorain for years before we moved to Detroit.

Capt. William

Beach Comber
Aug 30, 2006
Port St. Joe
Where on Lake Erie did you fish? I grew up on Lake Erie.
Also - FYI - I'm pretty sure that red snapper season closes at the end of October - but there are other good fish out there.
As far as chartering a fishing trip, you may also want to check with Sam Wesley - he lives right there in Grayton....I don't have his number handy, but maybe someone else will. Like most local guys he launches from the beach - so you don't have to drive to PC or Destin.
AND as Capt William said - Thanksgiving can be pretty cool - so you may wish to check the weather closer to your arrival before booking a charter.

Yes snapper season will be closed as of Nov 1 but there are lenty of groupers, triggers,mingos, pogies, ect....
Sam wesly is also an exccelent guide. There are a few others out there as well to check like Not a Dog Charters with Capt. Kerry Jones (i do have a number if needed)

But I still have to say Dead Fish because hes family

jd_johnson

Beach Comber
Jun 27, 2006
I agree that Larry is very good - but he's also very busy. So I wanted to give an alternative if he's booked.

kdp4th

Beach Lover
Feb 8, 2006
Duluth
Your not going to believe this, but I spent the winter of 1999/2000 in Port Clinton OH. Pretty neat for a southern boy to see people ice fish in lake Erie. Neat little town.

Last November some friends and I chartered a boat and caught a lot of Amber Jack. Had to give most back due to size, felt like we were feeding the dolphins. The keepers were delicious. The weather was beautiful, fall always is in that part of Florida.

Capt. William

Beach Comber
Aug 30, 2006
Port St. Joe
kdp4th;161239[[SIZE=2 said:
Had to give most back due to size, felt like we were feeding the dolphins.
[/SIZE]

unfortunatly yes you wre probably feeding the dolphins which is against the law but yet it is unlawful to keep the undersized fish and unlawful to use any type of devices to scare the mammals away. Funny isn't it. Sounds like damed if you do and damed if you don't