• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
The gurls after they were baptized today.:blush:
picture.php

bluemtnrunner

Beach Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
They should be able to work it out, definitely stand back so that they aren't competing over you or trying to protect you from the other. Don't reach in between them if they fight, slid a chair in between them, protect your digits.

The first thing I have always taught my dogs is to sit while food bowls are being filled and then I put the bowl down and they have to wait for the "OK" command before they can move. This gives time to move one dog into another room or on the porch if necessary. This has been invaluable when visiting my sister and her three dogs as they all sit and wait until all of the bowls are in the designated spots.
We took in a lab puppy (6-9 months) this week and he has already gotten a good grasp of the concept.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
They should be able to work it out, definitely stand back so that they aren't competing over you or trying to protect you from the other. Don't reach in between them if they fight, slid a chair in between them, protect your digits.

The first thing I have always taught my dogs is to sit while food bowls are being filled and then I put the bowl down and they have to wait for the "OK" command before they can move. This gives time to move one dog into another room or on the porch if necessary. This has been invaluable when visiting my sister and her three dogs as they all sit and wait until all of the bowls are in the designated spots.
We took in a lab puppy (6-9 months) this week and he has already gotten a good grasp of the concept.

Thanks. the fights are starting to be over quick. Lexie clearly can take Shy. Shy is just stubborn. Lexie stops as soon as she has the upper hand or shy stops. The trainer equated it to someone having an argument and the other person following them into the room to keep it going. Lexie wins, shy keeps following her around.

Shy and Sarge were trained, like your from pups. Lexie, has not had any training that I can see. But, she is sweet, good tolerant personality and is starting to sit on command, without me having to put a hand on her back. She did well with heel, on the leash yesterday. Shy is setting a good example of how to follow commands for her.

I haven't tried to separate them physically. Just a shout was enough to make it stop, but the water works better and doesn't escalate the fight. It really makes Shy shift gears and she hates to get wet. We are getting there.:blink::wave:

Last edited:

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Awww..aleo. I've loved reading about your new addition and how you've been handling the scraps. You are a good mom and Lexie is lucky to have adopted you. :love::wave:

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
It sounds like you got a good thing goin' here! :clap:

I have a question tho, is Lexie part BC?? She looks like she's part shepherd.

Last edited by a moderator:

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
AL, they are both beautiful. I think you are doing wonerful job with them. I predict there will be peace and harmony soon for you. I dealt with the same thing for little while when I rescued a Jack Russel and brought him home with my sheppard mix. He is male and she female. It took a couple weeks, but they get along wonderful now. They eat side by side, and play and sleep together now. This was about 3 years ago now that I brought him home.

I think two females are harder than male/female, but I still think it can be worked out between them. It is wonderful of you to have rescued her, they truly are the best in my opinion.

:wave:

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
I forgot to ask, do you know what Shyann's history is? Was she in an abusive situation, or just given up for a different reason? Just wondering.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
KDW, is this jack Russell a hand full - like lots of energy? That's what Mr JR wants to get next but we're afraid that a J.R. would wear us out!