• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
KDW, is this jack Russell a hand full - like lots of energy? That's what Mr JR wants to get next but we're afraid that a J.R. would wear us out!

Ummmm.....actually I am ashamed to say, he is a freaking lazy slug. Seriously, food and sleep that is all he wants. He does play with Angel some, and my son loves to get him going. But he is not your typical JR. I have told the story before, but I will mention it again. He was my crackhead neighbors dog and they had him tied to a tree for the first 18 months of his life. Usually with no shelter, food or water. It is a long story, but I ended up with him. Yea for me. He is the sweetest, most loving dog I have ever seen. I guess because of his start in life, he just wants a comfortable place to sleep and something good to eat on a regular basis.

So based on this information I don't think he is your typical JR. I too have heard the "regular" ones are full of energy, but given a nice place to run and work off that energy, I think that it would be great for you to have one. They are very, very smart and very easy to train. I would look at a rescue shelter for one if I was going to get one though. There are so many that need good homes.

Good luck.

p.s. sorry for hijack AL.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
Ummmm.....actually I am ashamed to say, he is a freaking lazy slug. Seriously, food and sleep that is all he wants. He does play with Angel some, and my son loves to get him going. But he is not your typical JR. I have told the story before, but I will mention it again. He was my crackhead neighbors dog and they had him tied to a tree for the first 18 months of his life. Usually with no shelter, food or water. It is a long story, but I ended up with him. Yea for me. He is the sweetest, most loving dog I have ever seen. I guess because of his start in life, he just wants a comfortable place to sleep and something good to eat on a regular basis.

So based on this information I don't think he is your typical JR. I too have heard the "regular" ones are full of energy, but given a nice place to run and work off that energy, I think that it would be great for you to have one. They are very, very smart and very easy to train. I would look at a rescue shelter for one if I was going to get one though. There are so many that need good homes.

Good luck.

p.s. sorry for hijack AL.
Thanks. Also, we always adopt too.

a30aspice

Beach Comber
Apr 21, 2008
Am catching up on all this news late but wanted to say congratulations on adding such a beautiful pup to your pack. I've had as many as four pups in my pack before including a border collie, a pair of shelties, and a little goodness knows what...and a pack is definitely a challenge. It takes a little time to see who belongs at what place in the pecking order, but I've never known them not to be able to work it out. I can't say my shelties were ever particularly fond of each other, but we did at least have peace in the house. All four of my dogs were female. Sadly, I'm down to the border collie and a sheltie now. I'd seen Lexie's picture and have to say she pulled at my heartstrings, but I know the time isn't right for another dog for me, so I'm sooo happy Lexie has a good home. I'm glad you have consulted a trainer; their knowledge and counseling is well worth it. Debbie Revell at Pets Behave has helped me tremendously! Also, keeping a spray bottle of water close at hand has worked wonders for me. I never even have to use it any more. The mere sight of the bottle gets my girls' attention. Good luck! Please continue to keep us posted.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
I forgot to ask, do you know what Shyann's history is? Was she in an abusive situation, or just given up for a different reason? Just wondering.

I got Shy at the same ranch I got her brother. Something happened to her when she was little, stepped on or something, totally skittish and afraid of men big time. She turned out to be my special child:blush: Sarge was pick of the litter, the all star type. Just a perfect pup. I swear he was the smartest dog I've ever known.

I know Lexie has run away from a few families, and found in really bad shape. I know she likes it here, because she goes out back and comes back to the door if I shut it. She wanted to be an inside dog. You didn't hijack . I love hearing how you got your pups and how you worked out things with them:love::wave:

It sounds like you got a good thing goin' here! :clap:

I have a question tho, is Lexie part BC?? She looks like she's part shepherd.

I think she is part shepard/BC.lots of BC in her and the long snout and light brown eyebrows makes me think shep too..

Awww..aleo. I've loved reading about your new addition and how you've been handling the scraps. You are a good mom and Lexie is lucky to have adopted you. :love::wave:
:love::love::wave:

Thanks. Also, we always adopt too.
:wave::D

I just witnessed a miracle. I sat on the bed and started petting them both and talking to them both. Shyann kept inching closer and closer. She started sniffing Lexie and then licking her:shock: She then put her head down on her back and they just lay like that for a few minutes. I got up to get the camera and they noticed me and Lexie decided she wanted her pillows in the LR. Wow, that totally tripped me out. Lexie was so cool about it all and Shyann didn't growl once. I couldn't belive Shyann layed down with her. :love:

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
The gurls after they were baptized today.:blush:
picture.php

:love:their pink collars. Y'all are doing great!

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
I just witnessed a miracle. I sat on the bed and started petting them both and talking to them both. Shyann kept inching closer and closer. She started sniffing Lexie and then licking her:shock: She then put her head down on her back and they just lay like that for a few minutes. I got up to get the camera and they noticed me and Lexie decided she wanted her pillows in the LR. Wow, that totally tripped me out. Lexie was so cool about it all and Shyann didn't growl once. I couldn't belive Shyann layed down with her. :love:
That is so sweet!! See? I thought it would only take a day or 2! Woo hoo!!
:clap::clap:

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
Right on schedule. Way to go, aleo. :clap:

(Mr. Baxter wants to know when the girls will be allowed to date :D)

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Right on schedule. Way to go, aleo. :clap:

(Mr. Baxter wants to know when the girls will be allowed to date :D)
:rotfl::rotfl: well, since they are both fixed, I don't think we will have to worry about Grand puppies. I added my fella into the mix last night. Man, Lexie is one ferocious guard dog.:shock: She ran past me towards him and freaked us both out. Mean bark:eek: but we worked it out. They are spending some one-on-one time in the living room and Shy is with me in the bedroom. I purchased a baby gate this morning and put it in the hall. Shy's not so happy, but it's keeping me sane today. Now that I've got them over being jealous of me, we have to get Shy not to be jealous over him:wacko:

avalon

Beach Fanatic
Apr 21, 2008
Seagrove
When I heard that you had lost a collie, I thought right away of Lexie at Alaqua. I had read Lexie's story in a post by Laurie a few months ago. Best wishes to the whole family!

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
When I heard that you had lost a collie, I thought right away of Lexie at Alaqua. I had read Lexie's story in a post by Laurie a few months ago. Best wishes to the whole family!
Thank you for reminding me of this. I'd forgotten all about it and saw Lexie on their site . Poor baby. She's a happy pup and so good and sweet. We are happy to have her be a part of our family and she and I have bonded well. She wants to go where ever I go and walks right beside me.

Poor Lexie. She came to us very thin and with severe heartworms. Her eyes were the saddest that we had ever seen. Her treatment was risky and even gave her a seizure, but she survived. We all fell in love with her and she was the official "office dog" for a while. It was going to take a very special family to adopt her and we thought that we had found it. Unfortunately, we were wrong and the family kept her a short time and gave her away (even though this is against our policy). She escaped from her new owner and was found roaming the highway in Alabama limping and with bloody paws. The new owner opted not to even claim her. We have her back now, but she is depressed and would do better in a foster home (she prefers to be inside and is terrified of thunder storms - and the refuge is next to the reservation, where bombs are always going off). She has been through so much. If you can help Lexie, please call Laurie
attachment.php