New big blue signs in SoWal

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by shesgottasurf, Jan 4, 2008.

?

What do you think of the new blue signs being installed on 30-A?

1. Love them!

21 vote(s)
    7.0%
  2. Somewhat like them

12 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Neither like nor dislike them

24 vote(s)
    8.1%
  4. Somewhat dislike them

32 vote(s)
    10.7%
  5. They're horrid!

210 vote(s)
    70.5%
  1. Redd

Redd Beach Fanatic

Video of the TDC meeting in full is here if not seen already
    http://www.sowaltv.com/play.php?vid=93

interview
    http://www.sowaltv.com/play.php?vid=89

2. alexmarie

alexmarie Beach Lover

these signs SUCK! they're so ugly.

3. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

Admittedly "Off topic" again. Puppetmaster, I was not refering to your post per se, only the misunderstanding of the banner in general. Thanks for your succinct clarification. I, too, spent two tours in a combat situation, but IMO, it was a "war" not a police action. When over 58,000 are lost it is more than a "police action". Neverthelessl, thank you for your service. NOW BACK TO THE SIGNS. I notice they are still up, EVERYWHERE!!

4. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

:roll:...hold your horses...I just arrived in town and only own one screwdriver. These things take time. :wave:

5. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

WELCOME BACK!!! And if you'll tell me where you're going to start, I'll bring my only screwdriver!:lolabove:

6. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

I was just in a business on 30-A, and another customer started ranting about how so much time and money had been spent on these signs, and how a few "whiners" wanted them to come down. :bang: Then I was told by an employee that they have to give out directions to tourists so many times a day, and what a hassle that is for them, so they loved the signs.

Hello- we live in a tourist town! People are going to ask for directions and everything else, and the presence of signs is not going to help. The businesses that complain about tourists asking directions should be thankful that warm bodies walk through their doors, and a pleasant attitude might get them a new customer and good word of mouth advertising.

I almost said something to the big jerk, but he was much bigger than me (although pretty old) and pretty scary looking. I did tell the employees that I personally loved the signs, and when the new signs go up, they will look great, but don't count on any signs to lessen the number of people that will come in and ask for directions.

7. seagrovegirl

seagrovegirl Beach Fanatic

I agree......they'd get lost on gps auto pilot. Signs aren't going to help them get around....and when they do ask for directions...be very friendly and helpful...they DO remember and will come back. Hopefully they will know where they are going at this point.

8. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

We could tattoo a map of Sowal on some people and they would still be lost and asking directions.

Ask anyone in a tourism related industry and they can tell you some hilarious stories about folks not seeing the forest for the trees. :roll:

9. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Some all time favorites from Redd:

Does the water go all the way around the island?

Does the sun set every night?

If it's cloudy does the sun still set?

10. Bob

Bob SoWal Insider

Commissioner Moss Berg definitely does not support these signs.

11. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

BIG BLUE SIGNS COME DOWN!!!!!!!!!
    Couldn't belive my eyes today when I saw work crews removing the "Welcome to Seacrest Beach" sign at Camp Creek Lake. As I drove down 30A I saw that all of them had been removed - at least as far as Watercolor. Congrates to everyone involved with this effort and to the TDC for the rapid response.

12. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

tsutchi, did you get lost without having signs, or did you feel unwelcomed? Earlier today, I was reading the Seaside Times, and there were plenty of letters to the editor regarding people's dislike for the private property signs everywhere in Seaside. Just thought those signs were an interesting contrast to the former signs at each end of Seaside saying, "Welcome to Seaside."

13. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

SJ - Yea, I had to pull over and get my bearings as I just couldn't remember where I was. It was all so disorienting without help from the signs. Feel sorry for that Spouter in the Dailey News who has been here 25 years and found them useful to get around!!!!! Makes you want to weap sometimes.

14. robertsondavies

robertsondavies Beach Fanatic

those signs were fugly in my humble opinion, and then my wife arrived at the same impression all on her own.

It was actually kind of scary seeing them, because we were looking to invest in SoWal, and had recently come down to check on her charms, and were a bit spooked that maybe South Walton had taken a serious turn for the worse...

what a relief. thanks to the efforts of the many involved in getting these blue monsters down - sincerely.

15. GoodWitch58

GoodWitch58 Beach Fanatic

did anyone get pix of the removal of the signs...I hope:D

16. Carol G

Carol G Beach Fanatic

Driving home at night is so much more peaceful without the big blue monsters looming around every turn. I always thought they were ugly, but I kind of tuned them out after a while. Their negative subliminal effect was more powerful than I realized... It really is remarkable how much more of a pleasant drive it is without them there!

Bravo to everyone who took part in their removal. :clap:

17. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Yes, it feels so much more natural without them, and I still recognize when I get to Grayton, WaterCooler, and Seaside. It's easy to tell when you get to Seaside. Just look for the security guys in Red Shirts.

18. yippie

yippie Beach Fanatic

Letter in Todays Paper

While I do not agree with him, he does make a point that could be used. (Not in reference to 30-A). And coupled with another letter a few days ago where someone said they should recycle the signs and use them for better hurricane evacuation routes.

Why don't they make important places like Sacred Heart with larger more prominent signs? I have lived here for years and half the time, I make the wrong turn. Secondly, I agree with recycling the signs to use for better evacuation route identification..

I know this is not in the direction the forum has taken, but it's a thought. They spent an insane amount of money on those signs, how they could ever justify it, I will never know or who made such a stupid decision to spend this type of money on these signs....

But, at least they could put them to better use.....

19. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

It's obvious that Mr. Ryan has no idea what the whole up-roar was about in the first place, especialy when he references Sacred Heart. This was about a community and its having an impact on what goes on in it and the effect on their daily lives. Nobody that I know has said that having no wayfinding signs was the objective but only that said signs should be compatible with area. Frankly, anything we can do to keep the tourists moving along to their destinations is good - hate getting behind someone who is lost.
    I agree it was an obsene amount of money to spend on signs, but at least some of them will be reused - perhaps on 98 near Sacred Heart. In the meantime, thank you TDC for heeding our call and moving quickly.

20. Indigo Jill

Indigo Jill Beach Fanatic

I am neutral in this issue but just wanted to tell you all congratulations. :D Your efforts really show the passion that this community has and one of the reasons why I personally think it is one of the best places in the world to live.