• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Does anyone know how much the sales tax in Walton County is collected and what impact that has in offsetting ad valorem taxes. I remember we voted to pay a 1/2 cent sales tax to pay a portion of the 331 bridge and that raised somewhere north of 25 million in 3 years. I would also venture to guess without tourism and the lack of manufacturing or high tech jobs that our economy would suffer due to unemployment. I would also bet the services that those of us want would cost us more in ad valorem without tourism. Just my opinion.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Tourism is the economic engine that runs this area, Walton County included. Without tourism we would be in the same economic boat as Holmes, Washington and other local counties that do not include coastline. Our problem is that the TDC has been too successful in bringing in tourists and so the numbers of people visiting has overcome our infrastructure. So the TDC should make purchasing beach access and land for parking and amenities its primary mission until infrastructure catches up to demand. The BCC should make improving and constructing new roadways its goal as well.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
I agree, but beach access and parking won't do much good now since nearly all the beaches have been privatized. What's the good of an access if you get kicked off once you get there?

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
I agree, but beach access and parking won't do much good now since nearly all the beaches have been privatized. What's the good of an access if you get kicked off once you get there?

Not nearly any beaches have been privatized... Where did that come from? Sheriff Mike won't kick you off unless you spend some $$$ to "Prove" you own what you say you do...

Our "public beaches" are flooded with private, for profit vendors, if that's what you refer to... Any problem there?

Instead of looking to blame the smart private property owner for defending whats rightfully theirs, how bout you and everyone else place blame on this County government and their epic failures?

The failure goes back years and years. Blame for this failure lies there. Place it, embrace it and work to change it!

Garner

Beach Fanatic
John G, I respectfully disagree with your position that the beaches are not being privatized. Over the past three years, over 100 individual property owners have put up fences from the dune to the mean high water line accompanied by "no trespassing" signs. A few weeks ago, a gulf front owner called the sheriff's office because an elderly woman walked the beach between his home and the gulf. It's getting nasty. The County Commission is hosting a workshop this Wednesday from 5 to 8 at Emerald Coast Middle School to address the beach access and customary use issues. Please come, learn and speak up if you desire

Beach Access Flyer 3-10-16 jpeg.jpg

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Hmmm. Something doesn't ring true about the elderly woman walking along the beach being reported to the sheriff's office. That said, the workshop is important and a good place to have a chance to express opinions. I just hope that it is a constructive, respectful, factual exchange of ideas.

Garner

Beach Fanatic
Hmmm. Something doesn't ring true about the elderly woman walking along the beach being reported to the sheriff's office. That said, the workshop is important and a good place to have a chance to express opinions. I just hope that it is a constructive, respectful, factual exchange of ideas.
I appreciate that - please come to the workshop and we all want a respectful, factual exchange

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
Dear Jay, welcome to South Walton.

There are a couple of companies here (this site being the main one) that advertise us. You don't need to do that. Please take care of our natural resources and infrastructure and leave the promotion to the experts - SoWal, Wyndham, Seaside, Rosemary Beach, Sandestin, etc. - through their advertising, web presence, social media expertise they bring in more than enough visitors. Concentrate on boosting price per bed instead of filling each one every night of the year.