Noise Ordinance

Discussion in 'Music and Nightlife' started by Groovegirls, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Groovegirls

Groovegirls Beach Fanatic

The Commisioner meeting in Defuniak has been rescheduled for June 30th. I am working on getting a copy of the new version. If anyone gets it before me feel free to post.

2. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

thanks for the update

3. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I don't believe anything has changed from the one proposed at the May 11, 2009 BCC meeting. >>>click here to see that one<<<.

4. beachFool

beachFool Beach Fanatic

5. Groovegirls

and I notice that it is still "measured" by subjective means. Here we go again. I truly hope everyone turns out. I would be happy to present a written statement on behalf of anyone who cant make it.

6. beachFool

beachFool Beach Fanatic

I want the music to continue. Don't get me wrong.

7. Groovegirls

Cleary the commisioners have no intentions of drafting an ordinance that reflects the will of the overwhelming majority of the people. Everybody call the paper or anyone else who can shine the light on this issue. Otherwise we may see this ordinance pass on the 30th. At this point I feel like changing my stance from trying to find a reasonable compromise to flat out defeating the ordinance. Anyone have acces to any national media.

8. Groovegirls

I am soooo worked up but there is no use in going on an on cause it's all been said. Hey musicians. June 30th would be a great day for a rally.

9. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

looks like it is time for the affected businesses (not the ones located next to the "wedding houses") to dig out the deeds and see if they are covered under section "J"... which reads that "Lawfully permitted business establishments located in a planned mixed use development." are exempt

10. weatabix

weatabix Beach Lover

any particular reason for the repeated postponements, other than hoping we will get tired of the delay and simply go away?

11. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

I believe the reason what you call the "postponements" is to give ample time to the public to consider the proposed ordinance. The BCC wants to hold a public hearing in Defuniak, to allow the citizens of north Walton a chance to speak on the issue. I believe the regular scheduled BCC meeting for June 23 was moved to June 30 due to conflict of schedules.

I believe at least two public hearings are required for such ordinance, but I'm uncertain.

Let me say this, at the BCC meeting in South Walton regarding the first public hearing of this proposed ordinance, there was a good turn out of concerned people, including town officials, bar/restaurant owners, musicians, and patrons of such places. What lacked in my opinion was the lack of public expression on record. Everyone who showed up, should have stood in line and spoken, on record, even if it was to simply state their name and that they agreed with other speakers that they were against the proposed ordinance as written. That would have impact. Filling the seats says a little bit, but when everyone is willing to publicly voice their opinion on record, that has major impact.

That is exactly what I hope people will do at the June 30 BCC meeting in Defuniak. Speak out, or have your voice and thoughts unheard. I'm sure that many people have huge emotions regarding this matter, and that is fine, but leave some of those at the door when you walk in the Court Room. Be passionate, but don't be so pissed off that you can't clearly state your thoughts on the issue. Just my two cents.

12. Groovegirls

I agree with him.

13. Groovegirls

BCC Meeting/Noise Ordinance

This Tuesday at 4:00 In Defuniak. Hope to see everyone there! Everyone's opinion should be counted but you have to be there to be heard.

14. Groovegirls

Come early and bring an instrument

15. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

let your voice on the record be your instrument of choice at tomorrow's meeting.

16. wrobert

wrobert Beach Fanatic

The overwhelming will of the majority was taken care of by the election of the commissioners. Now it is up to them. If they do not do what you want, work to replace them and change it.

They are suppose to state the new rules of engagement on leave no trace behind at this same meeting.

17. seagrovegirl

seagrovegirl Beach Fanatic

What time do my dogs have to quit barking?????

18. liquorqueen

liquorqueen Beach Lover

Blue Mountain Liquors just got in today tee-shirts that say "Beaches of South Walton" "Make Music, Not War." Just FYI if anyone is interested in wearing to the meeting on Tuesday. Thought this might be apropos.