• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
I saw these birds Saturday morning. I've tried in vain to identify them in my Audubon guide, but I believe they are both some type of sandpiper. Does anyone know?

The larger one kept working that hole until it retrieved the ghost crab that was down there. It then took it out to the gulf and rinsed off the sand before swallowing it.

Notice that one of the littler ones only has one leg.

Birds071013.JPG

I was told by a very reliable source they are Sanderlings...There is a great picture in my album that I took of one in September!!!

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
OK, from my Audubon guide, I thought the little ones were Sanderlings. But the big one is a different bird, nearly twice the size and with a proportionately longer beak. From all the sandpiper pix I've pored over, I think it is also a member of that family, but I don't know which one...

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
These ghost crab burrows are under the trash bag at the Ramsgate walkover. There are a couple at the Eastern Lake walkover, too, also under the trash bag. The crabs are pretty elusive - I've only seen one of them, but you can clearly see their tracks in the photo.

GhostCrabBurrow.JPG

barefootguy

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
My daughter and her friend caught 2 big toads and 3 green anoles today. As I type this, we have one great big raccoon wandering along the edge of our pond.
But I don't have pictures of any of this to share. :sosad: