• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
Here's another of the larger sandpipers from my Oct. 16 post. I believe this is a Willet. Can anybody confirm?

Willet071104.JPG

For the last two mornings, there have been about a hundred ducks in Eastern Lake. My "Audubon Field Guide to Florida" is about to go in the trash, 'cause this is yet another bird it doesn't identify.

They are really dark, nearly black, with an even blacker head and neck. Dark tan bill of medium length. They are feeding both by dabbling in the water and by diving. I wasn't close enough to see what they were eating.

DucksonEasterLake071104.JPG

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
My "Audubon Field Guide to Florida" is about to go in the trash, 'cause this is yet another bird it doesn't identify.
That is because they are migrating birds not native to Florida. From your description and from what I can see in the pic, they appear to be "?? winged teals"

Last edited:

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
That is because they are migrating birds not native to Florida. From your description and from what I can see in the pic, they appear to be "?? winged teals"

I guess I gotta get a camera with a stronger zoom. It's hard to get a decent pic of a bird that isn't close enough to eat out of my hand.

The photos I've seen of green-winged and blue-winged teals show some white. These ducks don't have any.

OK, I don't think it's an American Black Duck. The photos of them online show a head and neck slightly lighter than the body. These are darker.

I'll keep trying.

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
I saw these birds Saturday morning. I've tried in vain to identify them in my Audubon guide, but I believe they are both some type of sandpiper. Does anyone know?

The larger one kept working that hole until it retrieved the ghost crab that was down there. It then took it out to the gulf and rinsed off the sand before swallowing it.

Notice that one of the littler ones only has one leg.

Birds071013.JPG

They actually have two legs but keep one close to the body..have no clue why but have seen them release the other leg showing both legs...LOVE this thread!!:love:

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
OK, I don't think it's an American Black Duck. The photos of them online show a head and neck slightly lighter than the body. These are darker.

I'll keep trying.
I am too.:D There sure are alot of pics of ducks on Google:rotfl:

OHOH I think I might have found it... a COOT

Last edited:

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
That is a pretty bird. :D
Arent they?:D I lived at a lake in Destin years ago and every winter HUNDREDS of them stayed in the lake all winter and I loved just watching them.They will dive completely under then pop up a few feet away.

Last edited: