• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
ladydebubba the robin is cool but I really like the pink flamingo in the back ground!!! Native to TN????:rotfl::rotfl::D

SAVE your pink flamingos, everybody. They are now extinct. I saw a news item several months ago that the company that made them was going out of business.

And as a matter of fact, I think they are native to TN. There was a pair in my front yard in Memphis for several years.

jack S

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2007
For the last two mornings, there have been about a hundred ducks in Eastern Lake. My "Audubon Field Guide to Florida" is about to go in the trash, 'cause this is yet another bird it doesn't identify.

treefrog; The best book I have found for bird identification is Peterson's field guide to birds. He did paintings of the birds which are easier to identify than pictures.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
That's pretty close. I don't remember the red spot above the bill, though. If they will cooperate, I'll try to look again tomorrow AM.
On the ones I always saw in Destin, the red spot was not as pronounced as in that pic. I also think that different varieties of it dont even have the red spot.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
On the ones I always saw in Destin, the red spot was not as pronounced as in that pic. I also think that different varieties of it dont even have the red spot.

Yup. Confirmed today. We have coots.

Not old coots, the snowbirds aren't here yet. Just coots.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
OK, here we go...

Sunday, I saw an eagle soaring over the beach near Watersound. But I didn't get a photo, nor was it close enough to identify.

This morning, it was seen again by some folks vacationing just east of Eastern Lake. They say it's a bald eagle, for sure. It surprised the toot out of them, as they were expecting to see shorebirds.

Last edited:

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
OK, here we go...

Sunday, I saw an eagle soaring over the beach near Watersound. But I didn't get a photo, nor was it close enough to identify.

This morning, it was seen again by some folks vacationing just east of Eastern Lake. They say it's a bald eagle, for sure. It surprised the toot out of them, as they were expecting to see shorebirds.
I saw a pair of them above 98 between 285 & 395 a few days ago. They came low enough for me to definitely identify them as bald eagles. I have heard that there is 2 or 3 nests along the intercoastal but no one will reveal the exact location for obvious reasons. I also had a golden eagle drop a snake on my car about 4 years ago on Bay Dr. Freaked me out at first but then I forgot about the snake watching the eagle in the tree trying to figure out how to get its meal back. :D
Not old coots, the snowbirds aren't here yet. Just coots
Might want to retract this... from the looks of Seaside today:rotfl:

Last edited:

jack S

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2007
I saw the bald eagle over the beach at redfish lake 3 days ago! It was quite a surprise! It circled low and I got a real good view of it. Just another cool day!