• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
About a year ago I adopted a Boxer named Ava from a SoWaller's mother. She was such a blessing to my life and I loved her so much. She had been found on a road and was in bad shape, but they nursed her back to a loving trusting companion. I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia so it is comforting to me to have a dog close by. She never left my side, was so sweet and my family adored her. She passed away last April from congested heart failure. We were so very sad and it left an emptiness in our home. I still expect to see her sweet face nuzzling up to my arm.

I walked alone for 3 months and thought I'm just not ready for another dog. Ha! Well, about 4 weeks ago an urgent message came through on my Facebook about a female Great Pyrenees mix needing to be rescued from a shelter in Mobile, Ala. As soon as I saw her face in the picture I knew she was our next child. The following Saturday I made my way through terrible lightning and the worse rain I think I've ever been through. The traffic was crazy and at times I wondered why was I going to Mobile for a dog that needed rescued when there are so many here.

The shelter closed at 1:00 pm and I barely made it there. They took me back through all the other dogs who were crying, barking, shivering, yelping, whining and some even growling to the cell that Polly was in. She had a smile on her face, never made a sound and just waited patiently. I went in with her and noticed no water and an empty bowl. It was so sad....I just can't tell you how it felt to hear all the others. My stomach churned and my head was spinning knowing I was here for one dog and there was nothing else I could do.

We bonded on the way home....another long trip through storms, traffic coming for the last weekend before school started and of all things my A/C went out. Because of an accident on the east bound I-10 we sat bumper to bumper for 45 minutes and then we were in Crestview thank God!

Polly became Princess Polly when she entered our home. She started a new life of loving us and everyone who walked through our door. We were so happy to have her safe and sound and gave her as much love as we could. Happy to sleep on the tile floor in the hallway she turned down our beds for her.

She came home with me on August 14th and had her first vet appointment with Dr. Amy Williams at Kindness Pet Hospital on the 26th. The minute Dr. Amy saw her she said, "She's pregnant Kat." I just stared with mouth wide open. After an x-ray I could hear them in the back counting 1-2-3-4-5-6....omgosh I thought to myself. Dr. Amy came in with the x-ray smiling and said, "Your life is about to change." Together we counted 9 or 10 heads and Polly was do in 1 to 10 days.

On August 31st at 10:00 am she gave birth to her first baby girl....by 2:00 pm she had her last and 11th baby! She never made a sound and is the best mother. My life is truly blessed. Here are some of the pictures. Needless to say I did not sleep from the time we came home from Kindness Pet Hospital until last night. Polly and I have had 2 great days of rest and look forward to many more and a lot of fun with her puppies!!!!

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
Aren't they just precious sleeping all over each other like that! So many colors - Princess Polly must've been cattin' around, huh? :wave:

Enjoy!

Diane4145

Beach Fanatic
Sep 3, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Beautiful story, to cry over!

Kat,

I can't remember being so moved by a story, let alone a furry friend happy ending!:love: A number of people know of me, as a sowal member that enjoys helping, a helpless furry friend! We see and hear of such sad and sometimes desperate situations! Please keep us posted with pics and let us know how sweet princess Polly and her babies are doing!:clap: They are all, truly blessed!

BTW, I've dealt with the Mobile Animal Shelter and Jackie, from when I lived there! I've rescued numerous babies and on occasion, would leave them there, while I tried to find homes! They ALWAYS knew that I was still responsible and that they were not to do anything, with them! For whatever it's worth, I'm going to contact them and let them know, about the lack of water.

Have a great holiday weekend, good mommy!:wave:

Last edited:

bluecat

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2007
kentucky
Kat, like the song goes,just in time you found her. New puppies are so sweet and nothing smells like a little puppy.After years of not having a dog, we have a puppy that was neglected by its owners, couldn't stand knowing she wasn't being fed or cared for,she found us and she is one happy little lady. I know you will find good homes for your babies when the time comes.

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Kat,

I can't remember being so moved by a story, let alone a furry friend happy ending!:love: A number of people know of me, as a sowal member that enjoys helping, a helpless furry friend! We see and hear of such sad and sometimes desperate situations! Please keep us posted with pics and let us know how sweet princess Polly and her babies are doing!:clap: They are all, truly blessed!

BTW, I've dealt with the Mobile Animal Shelter and Jackie, from when I lived there! I've rescued numerous babies and on occasion, would leave them there, while I tried to find homes! They ALWAYS knew that I was still responsible and that they were not to do anything, with them! For whatever it's worth, I'm going to contact them and let them know, about the lack of water.

Have a great holiday weekend, good mommy!:wave:

Yes, Diane, I am always reading your posts. Bless you for the work you do. I go back and forth trying to help rescue groups, but I have to take time off to regain myself. It's very sad and disturbing most of the times. Luckily for both Polly and myself it was one of those special great endings.

The rescue groups that work with the Mobile Shelter are soooo dedicated. This shelter is on Howell's Ferry Road. I'm choosing to think that there was no water because it was a very busy day at the shelter, it was hectic, they were expecting me to pick Polly up a little earlier and she was pregnant and probably drinking more water. But if you can make a comment to them I think maybe that would help. I am sending them pictures and want to mention that too!

Polly's puppies are a delight.....and each one is healthy and strong! Who ever adopts one of these will have a well socialized companion and a gentle soul.

Thanks for your sweet words!
Kat :wave: