• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
DuneDog said:
There used to be a place called Tylers Beer Garden on Magazine... or maybe it was Tchop? The John Rivers Movement would play jazz there. They used to have 10 cent oyster night on Thursdays.

Tyler's! Yes, I know it well. I am not sure whether or not they opened back up yet. James Rivers Movement! Still around too... :clap_1:

pk305

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2005
Nashville & Seagrove
30A Skunkape said:
pk305 said:
If you were not told you have Hep C, and you are now vaccinated against Hep B, eat as many oysters as you can get your hands on! They are safe! :lol:

THANKS 30A Skunkape! I appreciate your help in getter a much better understanding of this hepatitis thing! I am soooo excited about eating oysters again!!

30A Skunkape said:
I eat my oysters in the A months-ALL! Ice and refrigeration means "eat 'em if you got 'em". What was your favorite oyster eatery in NOLA? I like Cassamentos on Magazine Street. Which leads to a great debate between Mrs Skunkape and myself. She swears Apalachicola oysters are better than the Louisiana variety due to the appreciable saltiness. While I admit Florida's bivalves are saltier, I prefer the creamier, plumper ones they catch in our murky water. Either way you cut it, support your local fisherman and eat more oysters! :lol: :lol: :lol:
We did Cassamentos, but our favorite oyster bar was at Pascal's Manale. Or when funds were an issue, we'd do Acme. Parents always wanted to do Felix's when they came to town, and that was cool because they'd always foot the bill for the vodka shots between each oyster.

Did you ever "DO" Magazine Street? We'd start at the levee near Audubon Street and have a drink at every bar on Magazine going toward Canal. We never made it past a place we called "No Name's," which probably doesn't exist anymore, but literally it had "no name."

30A Skunkape said:
pk305 said:
Skunkape MD says you have been vaccinated against Hepatitis B. If you were to develop Hepatitis from an oyster, it would be more likely to be Hepatitis A. Here is the deal...Hepatitis A is spread via the fecal/oral route. It is pretty common where the folks are exposed to raw sewage;you get the idea. In most cases, Hep A is an unpleasant experience compete with fever, jaundice, GI distress, etc, but healthy folks almost always recover without longterm problems. Hepatitis B is bloodborne or spread with contact of body fluids. It is really, really, REALLY unlikely you would develop Hepatitis B from a raw oyster. Now, the real confusion with oysters and hepatitis started when the health warning signs popped-up. People who HAVE liver disease of any etiology including active Hepatitis B or C have a much harder time recovering from acute hepatitis A because it takes a huge toll on an already stressed liver. If you REALLY want to protect yourself, you can get a Hepatitis A vaccine. My official advice-You no doubt had a hepatitis panel drawn prior to your vaccination. If you were not told you have Hep C, and you are now vaccinated against Hep B, eat as many oysters as you can get your hands on! They are safe! :lol:
Thanks for the info. I'll have to check this out. I know that the CDC recommends hepatitis vaccinations (now I have to check which ones) for people who travel to third-world countries, like my husband who acquires manufacturing sites.

I'll be :pissed: if I've avoided raw oysters for years unnecessarily!

whitesands

Beach Lover
Sep 17, 2005
Went to Caroline's on the River in Apalachicola for lunch not too long ago. It is a shame they have to put such a strong warning on their menu about the oysters...people were eating them nonetheless. I'm afraid I'm allergic to bi-valves...which is another shame, so I had the grouper sandwich, fried, of course!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
One of my mom's friends died about three years ago from eating raw oysters, but not before he spent a few months in the hospital. I know other young and healthy people, two in particular, who were extremely sick after eating raw oysters. My brother was one of the two, and he was out of it for about a week. His friend, the other victim, was in the hospital for about a week, and very ill for about one month. All of this makes me aware of the potential dangers I face when eating oysters, and these personal stories are the reasons why I don't eat oysters at any old place that serves them.

By the way, Hunt's Oyster Bar, in Panama City, recently sold there downtown location (which was a lousy set up anyway), and the owner is working on reopening the Beck Ave location :)clap_1: :D)which burned two years ago, just up the street from the Captain's table. While they are not open for dining yet, they are selling bagged Apalachicola Oysters out of the back of the building.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
30A Skunkape said:
Did they have hepatitis Joe?
I neve asked that question. All I knew was that they were very ill. They were not eating in local restaurants. My brother and his friend ate their oysters in a popular night spot/restaurant in Athens GA and my mom's friend ate his last batch of raw oysters at a seafood place in Dothan AL.

whitesands

Beach Lover
Sep 17, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
One of my mom's friends died about three years ago from eating raw oysters, but not before he spent a few months in the hospital. I know other young and healthy people, two in particular, who were extremely sick after eating raw oysters. My brother was one of the two, and he was out of it for about a week. His friend, the other victim, was in the hospital for about a week, and very ill for about one month. All of this makes me aware of the potential dangers I face when eating oysters, and these personal stories are the reasons why I don't eat oysters at any old place that serves them.

OMG! No wonder they put those warnings right on the menu. I learned something today.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Similar warning labels can be found on menus which offer hamburgers regarding the dangers of undercooked hamburger meat. For a while, it was a voluntary thing in GA, but they may have changed the rules.