• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

pmd8

Beach Lover
Jul 27, 2005
Peek's is currently listed on panamacitymls.com for $20,000,000: MLS#358204.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
The Walton Funn, November 16, 2006

New Condo hopes to Attract a Nostalgic Crowd.

Janus Development of Birmingham, Alabama announced its plans for a new Condominium on the west end of Panama City Beach.

The condominium will feature a ?Panama City in the 70?s? theme. ?We really felt that the time was right for someone to buck the trend of increasingly upscale developments and get back to the spirit of the original Redneck Riviera.?, said Janus President Mark Taylor.

Taylor went on to explain, ?We feel that there is a huge market for the nostalgia of earlier times, and for Panama City that means the kitchy tacky developments characterized by tiki huts and fake waterfalls.?

Shirley Basfield of Atmore signed a pre-construction contract for one of the 7th floor units. ?When I saw the drawings I just loved the whole concept. When I was a little girl we would drive down to PC from Alabama and would stay in these magical themed motels which to me seemed like being in a dream?.or at least in an episode of the Flintstones.?

The condo complex will feature gold and avocado appliances, and an extensive use of wall paneling. Otherwise the color scheme is best described as ?brown, with hints of earthtone.?

The developers are also hoping to attract another niche market, nicotine addicted seniors. In keeping with the times, the entire resort will be smoker friendly.

30gAy..................:nono1: :rotfl: :funn:

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
this place is no more southern than clearwater anymore.
if it were all southern, there'd be about 200 people here.

everytime somebody says "that's how we do it in the south."
i ask them where they're from, and they say canada or ohio.

in fact, i think they'll find a HUGE market for the kitschy stuff with wealthy yankees, not "rednecks" or "working class alabamans" or whatever classist condescending slur people are using today for southerners.

much like when miami was rejuvenated for the young hipsters. it was the restoration of the old-time miami feel that made it special for visitors. they understood the value of the indigenous architecture and history in making the city relevant again to the tourism industry and rebuilding the economy.
You are confusing art-deco architecture with the axis of evil for trashy looking beach towns Daytona,Myrtle Beach, and PC.

00seer00

Beach Lover
Oct 12, 2006
PCB
I own the land across the street from peeks, we were under contract with the 14 acres behind me. Katrina hit and caused the contract to go soft out of fear. Peeks were asking 31M at that time and the whole deal was priced at around 54M. I bet 32M might buy it all now.

mf

Banned
May 14, 2006
You are confusing art-deco architecture with the axis of evil for trashy looking beach towns Daytona,Myrtle Beach, and PC.
ok, true! :)
i have elevated it to a whole new level. and undeservingly :)
but let's be frank if people are buying this trashy looking stucco, i'm sure they'll buy "retro" spring break chic :)

Diamondduste

Beach Crab
Nov 26, 2006
I own the land across the street from peeks, we were under contract with the 14 acres behind me. Katrina hit and caused the contract to go soft out of fear. Peeks were asking 31M at that time and the whole deal was priced at around 54M. I bet 32M might buy it all now.

When you say across the street... do you mean where Funland was/is located? The mini-golf course/racetrack?

When I was very young, my family stayed at Peek's EVERY summer. I have fond memories of the whole area around it - including Funland, Zooland Golf, etc. I agree though - it does sit on some prime real estate.