• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I'm guessing it had alot to do with the golf cart signage, too. There was an epic thread on here about two years ago where a guy who owned an 'LSV' dealership went to the wall defending them against the masses that hate them. I can't find it, it may have been removed. At any rate, I agree in part with what Shelly is getting at-if there was an ID on the cart and the dealer's number visible on the thing, I would be making lots of calls. My opinion is that they are fine tooling around the side streets and neighborhoods, but once they make it onto the bike path (illegal, but present on most any day you care to spend enough time watching for it), congested areas like Seaside/Seagrove, 45MPH zones (illegal, but present on most days you care to spend enough time watching for it, especially between Watercolor and Grayton Corner and Grayton Corner to Redfish Village) the things are a menace. My perception is that the people who rent golf carts know damn well this kind of activity is the norm, in addition to the clown car-like stuffing of the things and operation of the vehicles by kids just out of diapers, and that the purveyors of the golf carts are simply giving the middle finger to their neighbors who are driven crazy by them from March to July.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
The threads are easy to find just seach LSV's. I have changed my feelings somewhat. Now that they are everywhere, the debate about bringing them here is over. They are here to stay and will increase. We are getting more and more dealers and some may cut corners to compete. As long as a business owner is responsible then more power to them (Dean good luck).

There is a diff between golf carts and street legal carts. Stay away from renting the dinky ones that are too slow.

On a related note, how is it we have bike rentals on every corner now?

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
The threads are easy to find just seach LSV's. I have changed my feelings somewhat. Now that they are everywhere, the debate about bringing them here is over. They are here to stay and will increase. We are getting more and more dealers and some may cut corners to compete. As long as a business owner is responsible then more power to them (Dean good luck).

There is a diff between golf carts and street legal carts. Stay away from renting the dinky ones that are too slow.

You can find a few dinky threads on the debate, but try as I may, I can't find the mother of them all...I think it was started by robertsondavies when the golf cart rental/sales business owners wanted to make ALL of 30-A less than 45mph. So they could sell/rent more of the damn things.

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
wow over $700 for a week to rent. thats 1/2 the cost of someones vacation.this invites huge opp's to come in at $300 and still make money

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
You can find a few dinky threads on the debate, but try as I may, I can't find the mother of them all...I think it was started by robertsondavies when the golf cart rental/sales business owners wanted to make ALL of 30-A less than 45mph. So they could sell/rent more of the damn things.

I searched for LSV's and came up with many threads. I believe the one you want is third:
http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.php/43847-Lowering-the-speed-limit-on-30A

I recommend Jon and Tom Waldrop they have been around for a long time and support the community and are responsible http://sowal.com/business/electric-cart-company
They recently bought the old Coca Cola warehouse in DeFuniak Springs as part of their oiperation and rent all kinds of stuff.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
wow over $700 for a week to rent. thats 1/2 the cost of someones vacation.this invites huge opp's to come in at $300 and still make money

Families often spend well in excess of $10,000 for a week in SoWal.

Beach Buggys

Beach Lover
Mar 13, 2012
Local
www.sowalbeachbuggys.com
Jim your right, the state of florida is a bit too relaxed when certifying a golf cart conversion to an LSV. the law states it needs to go a minimum of 20 and a maximum of 25mph. a standard golf cart goes between 12 and 14mph, and the upgrades necessary to reach the states speed requirements are quite expensive, close to 2,000 dollars if done right. I beleive a vehicle shouldn't be on the road if it can't meet the state requirements, not only because its illegal, but because its extremely dangerous to have a vehicle hobbling along at 12mph. at 23mph you can keep up with most traffic without slowing it up too much in a 35mph zone. And i still encourage my renters to pull over and let cars pass when i give my pre-rental tutorial.

ray, your right, i saw a few of the bigger companies charging that much, hard to believe that they can get any business with rates that high.

Beach Buggys

Beach Lover
Mar 13, 2012
Local
www.sowalbeachbuggys.com
just to specify, all of my vehicles meet the states requirements, all average between 22 to 25mph. All saftey gear is checked to be working properly before we deliver a vehicle, before reading it on here i had no idea anyone disliked golf carts. I stand by my opinion, i think they are great vehicles and alot of fun if done right and not abused. I have seen several vehicles from other companies that i could not believe were allowed on the streets, there is no doubt there are some floating around where corners have been cut and these substandard vehicles are giving those of us doing it right a bad name.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Jim your right, the state of florida is a bit too relaxed when certifying a golf cart conversion to an LSV. the law states it needs to go a minimum of 20 and a maximum of 25mph. a standard golf cart goes between 12 and 14mph, and the upgrades necessary to reach the states speed requirements are quite expensive, close to 2,000 dollars if done right. I beleive a vehicle shouldn't be on the road if it can't meet the state requirements, not only because its illegal, but because its extremely dangerous to have a vehicle hobbling along at 12mph. at 23mph you can keep up with most traffic without slowing it up too much in a 35mph zone. And i still encourage my renters to pull over and let cars pass when i give my pre-rental tutorial.

ray, your right, i saw a few of the bigger companies charging that much, hard to believe that they can get any business with rates that high.

:blink:

Beach Buggys

Beach Lover
Mar 13, 2012
Local
www.sowalbeachbuggys.com
True or False? Most 35 mph zones on 30A you will rarely reach 35mph. I ride 30A several times a day. Most areas are riddled with speed bumps, pedestrian crossings, bicyclists and slow traffic seeing the sights. the sections of roads that are 45mph are good stretches with not much happening. (where golf carts have no business) 35mph zones, no problem.