• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
these vehicles are legal anyway you look at it, tagged, insured, street legal, meet all of state of florida requirements and are legal by all standards. .

What type of document are the renters of golf carts required to sign? Does it allow children to drive these things on the roads? Does the insurance cover children who drive them on the roads? Who is liable if a child is driving one of these things and causes injury/death or damage? Will the insurance company pay out or will it say they're not responsible because the child wasn't covered and the company who rents them is liable? ...or will we just have to wait till summer is in full swing to find out?

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
[...] they have every right to park these the same place you would park a car [...]

Sometimes people driving golf carts park them where you cannot legally park a car. Because of the carts' smaller size, some people think they can just park these where ever the things fit, including at beach accesses where there is no public parking. Just because these may be fun doesn't give people driving them the right to park in an entryway, or at the entrance to a beach access.

rdelong43065

Beach Fanatic
May 28, 2007
Seagrove
What type of document are the renters of golf carts required to sign? Does it allow children to drive these things on the roads? Does the insurance cover children who drive them on the roads? Who is liable if a child is driving one of these things and causes injury/death or damage? Will the insurance company pay out or will it say they're not responsible because the child wasn't covered and the company who rents them is liable? ...or will we just have to wait till summer is in full swing to find out?

Well said. Thank you.

Beach Buggys

Beach Lover
Mar 13, 2012
Local
www.sowalbeachbuggys.com
I could sit here and create a million scenerios or "what ifs" on any vehicle on the streets, I knew a lady who fell off a bicycle at low speed with a helmet on and died from the injuries. Does that mean we should ban bicycles? I don't think so. If illegal acts are made on a low speed vehicle, law enforcement should ticket them just like they would anyone else, I see cars speeding on 30A all the time, should we ban cars? of course not. If you don't like the idea of putting up with tourists move to canada.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
They don't have tourists in Canada? :dunno:

Geez, I didn't know that. :scratch:
You learn something new every day!

rdelong43065

Beach Fanatic
May 28, 2007
Seagrove
I could sit here and create a million scenerios or "what ifs" on any vehicle on the streets, I knew a lady who fell off a bicycle at low speed with a helmet on and died from the injuries. Does that mean we should ban bicycles? I don't think so. If illegal acts are made on a low speed vehicle, law enforcement should ticket them just like they would anyone else, I see cars speeding on 30A all the time, should we ban cars? of course not. If you don't like the idea of putting up with tourists move to canada.

Oh yaw, Canada is nice you know. Dean, yes there are always what ifs out there. But you still seem to be avoiding the issue of responding to actually what are the requirements of operating these vehicles. Is there an age limit? What does the insurance cover if there is an accident? Who is responsible if the insurance doesn't cover it? Please enlighten us.

Beach Buggys

Beach Lover
Mar 13, 2012
Local
www.sowalbeachbuggys.com
By Law any driver has to have a valid drivers license, and abide by the same laws that apply to cars. and as per my contract all drivers must be listed on the contract and must be 21 years old. And if you see otherwise our toll free number goes directly to mine or my partners personal cell, if we recieve a call we will informing us otherwise we will take action. All of our vehicles have above the florida required limits of PIP ( personal Injury Protection)

PJJ

Beach Lover
Oct 27, 2007
This is reminiscent of the shops that sell bongs and pipes with "FOR TOBACCO USE ONLY" signs.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
New concept: Maybe 30A needs an ordinance with signage stating what is allowed regarding golf carts and bicycles using the road (not the bike path). Maybe the TDC could use some of their wisdom (and money) to help solve these problems. Hopefully we have the insight that allows us to realize it is a problem before a tragic incident. Both bicycles and golf carts slow down our delivery times but I am not complaining at all. The problem comes with the territory (tourism). I believe the TDC needs to take some responsibility with problems like this. Again, I am not complaining, just sayin...

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Signs have no effect and just add clutter. We already have too many signs.

There are signs all up and down the multi-use path saying "no motorized vehicles allowed" but golf carts are a daily sight - as are cars parked on it and in other "no parking" locations. The mail delivery vehicle drives down the path daily.

The only true solution is to crack down on violators. Tickets and fines are the only things that make people pay attention.