Patrick Pug, rest in peace

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by 30A Skunkape, May 29, 2009.

1. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Beach Fanatic

In days gone by, the dog ran wild, untamed and free.
    Although man may have tamed your bodies,
    we have never tamed your spirit.
    You are free now.
    Go and run with your pack,
    with your wild ancestors, racing by the midnight moon.
    Go and hunt for your prey,
    taking what is your birthright.
    Join the wolf, the jackal, the wild dogs,
    and run with your kin on the wild hunt.
    Run, and guide your spirit home.

2. InletBchDweller

InletBchDweller SoWal Insider

I am so sorry for yall's loss. Patrick was a cutie and I am sure he will be missed. :sosad:

3. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    So sorry to hear about Patrick. One of my sister's pugs died unexpectedly due to breathing issues. It was very hard for her and her family.

Skunky and Punzy, I understand your grief. Some people don't get it. I remember when I got a call at my office from the vet when our miniature poodle Mocha died. I passed out. When I came to, I heard people say, "Why is she so upset about a dog?"

:cry:

4. Lady D

Lady D SoWal Insider

Oh,what a sweet picture! :wub: Punzy and Skunky, I am so sorry for the loss of Patrick, :cry: he looked like a really great dog, as I am sure he was. To me, there is no bad dog. I'm sorry I never got to meet him. Rest in peace Patrick. It was evident he was well taken care of and dearly loved.

5. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

I just have to share what I think is my favorite Patrick story of all time.

When we lived in Shreveport there was a kennel way out in the woods near the Louisiana/Texas border we would board the dogs at when we went out of town. The owners were crazy dog people and they had nice, clean inside/outside runs and the dogs enjoyed it, so it was worth the nearly one hour drive each way to bring them there. Patrick was also fascinated by a mule on the grounds, but that is another matter entirely.

So one day I was bringing them up there to drop them off. When I tell you this place was in the sticks, I mean, it was deep off the beaten path. I needed gasoline, and there was one mom and pop country store out there that had a gas pump, so I stopped there to get some gas. I think this was in the summer, and if you have ever owned a pug, you know they get overheated easily, so I parked at the pump and left the engine running so the air conditioner would never quit. I got out and began to squeeze some gas into the car. Now understand, whenever the dogs were in a parked car they thought they were at their destination, so they would hop up, look out the windows and carry on. This time was no different, and as I am fueling I hear the audible 'vrr-click!" of the cars power door locks having just been engaged. To my horror, Patrick was standing on the arm rest looking out the window and hit the lock button. Uh-oh!

The situation was this;I was locked out of my running car at a mom and pop country store at least 15 miles north of Interstate 20 and at least 20 miles from any locksmith, I have no key, trucks are pulling in behind me to get gas (and of course I can't move). Basically, THAT PUG HAD HIJACKED MY VEHICLE and was trying to see how much patience the locals had for a city boy and his two little dogs monopolizing their gas pump.

Clearly, this was bad. I didn't have a cell phone, so I went inside and explained the situation which seemed to confirm the preconceived notions the clerk had regarding people who grew up where there were sidewalks. I called pop-a-lock, whose ad was in the store's yellow pages. The guy very reluctantly agreed to come on up, but explained it may be as long as an hour.

So I bought a copy of the local newspaper and sat on the store's front porch on a rocking chair and watched the routine of cars pulling in behind me to wait for gas, only to be met by the stares of the very well cooled pug and dachshund but no drivers. Eventually the cars would give up and go to the other side. I sat on that porch close enough to make sure nobody attacked my car, but just far enough away to not make it obvious it belonged to me.

Finally, after what seemed an eternity, the orange pop a lock Festiva pulled in to the parking lot. Hooray! I met the guy before he even got out of his vehicle. I wanted out of that place, quickly. He said it was $40 to unlock and an extra $20 for the excessive mileage...blah, blah-he could have asked for one of my fingers, and I would have gladly given it up to extract myself from the situation.

I pointed out the vehicle he needed to unlock, and he grabbed his trusty flatbar thing confidently. We walked over toward the car, and when the dogs saw us, they began to go nuts as dogs do. When we got about 5 yards away, Patrick needed to get a better view and thus he placed his paws on the drivers armrest. As mr popalock guy was getting ready to insert the tool, there was an audible 'wrrrrrrrr' as the pug rolled the power window down, all the way open. He sat and looked at me and pop-a-lock, wondering what was taking so long. Popalock looked at me and said "just give me $20 for gas and time", which I gladly did. I then reached in to the open window and popped the power locks open.

I quickly made my way out of that little gas island and boogied on home. It was one of those situations where you have the right to be so mad, but it was so obviously hysterical there was no need for it. Rather, it led to an unforgettable adventure with the pug!

6. DD

DD SoWal Expert

Skunky!!:floor:The best story ever!!! :wub:

7. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

:floor:...I love this story!

More Patrick the Pug stories, please!

8. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

This story will probably embarrass Skunky, but it is representative of the mistaken identity issues that arise when the dog and the husband have the same name.

Abe Drinkin' was doing his chef thing at the Skunky house last weekend, and his friends from Atlanta came over too. The wife met both Patricks, but apparently the husband had only met the boy Patrick, not the dog. So a small group was gathered around the Big Green Egg when the wife commented to her husband "Did you notice that Patrick has his testicles"?

:eek: Now THAT was a conversation whopper- the husband looked at Patrick the boy and back to his wife, wondering how she knew this information. Explanations came immediately.:floor:

9. rapunzel

rapunzel Beach Fanatic

When Patrick was a puppy, I was dating this Auburn alum. Because Patrick liked to be the center of attention, he would entertain guests as long as he could and then nap in front of the TV so people were still looking in his direction. One night, there was a big Auburn game on TV and I had a bunch of Auburn people over to watch the game. Patrick worked the crowd as we ate and then as everyone sat down to watch the game, he decided to take a nap. When Auburn did something great, the room would explode with cheers. At the cheers, Patrick would immediately assume they were for him and he'd stand up and grab his woobie and shake it dead or perform one of his other tricks. He would just beam with pride. This little scene repeated itself several times as Auburn had a good first half. Unfortunately, things turned for the Tigers in the second half. The first round of boos really seemed to sadden the pug. When the team did something particularly egregious and several guys stood to scream expletives at the TV, Patrick stood -- eyes wide, tail straight -- and bolted for his crate in the back room. He refused to come out for hours.

See, even in the beginning he knew it was all about him.

10. hnooe

hnooe Beach Fanatic

I love that story--so cute--I got a great visual. Its those stories that will keep the smile on your face going forward. Got more?

11. CincyBeachGirl

CincyBeachGirl Beach Lover

I didn't meet Patrick but he looked very handsome. I love pugs. My thoughts are with you

12. ItzKatzTime

ItzKatzTime Beach Fanatic

Skunky, the best story I've heard in a long time!!!:clap:

13. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

I am very sorry to hear this! Patrick was a great dog and provided us all with hours of entertainment and joy! :wub:

14. Miss Critter

Miss Critter Beach Fanatic

So in addition to his other wonderful qualities, your dear little Patrick was the inspiration for the failsafe preventing car doors from locking with the keys in the ignition. For which I and countless others are immensely grateful. :lol::clap:

Skunky, that was one funny story!

15. Minnie

Minnie Beach Fanatic

Punzy, so sorry to hear about Patrick the Pug. I know how much a part of your life he was and losing our furry loved ones is always hard.

Love the story about the Auburn game and glad for Patrick the Pug you married someone that supports a team with more wins than losses so that Patrick the Pug got to enjoy more cheers than boos.

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  16. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

I just remembered some photos of Patrick the Pug I never uploaded from my phone. I give you Pug with Monkey on his back:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

That is hilarious.

What about the one in his lobster Halloween costume? I have a copy on my fridge, but not sure who's camera it came from-

18. Franny

Franny Beach Fanatic

So sorry to hear about Patrick..:cry:....the stories, memories and pictures will live with you forever.:wub:

19. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

The dog would wear anything as long as you told him how handsome he looked after you put it on him.

20. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

[​IMG]

In honor of his days in NOLA I'm going to say it's a crawfish costume. :D