• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Unless your child has an ongoing medical condition that would require easy access to a pediatric unit (which we aren't close to anyway), why isn't it easier to opt for docs that practice close to home? It is very important to us that our doctor has privileges at the closest hospital, and that the doc office is a sane drive away when the kids are sick.

I have to drive to Airport Rd. every other week for my youngest's allergy shot- what a PIA. I can't imagine doing that with young, sick kids for pediatrician visits. Believe me, I would kiss the feet of an allergist who would practice full time in South Walton- killing half a day for an office visit is for the birds.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Unless your child has an ongoing medical condition that would require easy access to a pediatric unit (which we aren't close to anyway), why isn't it easier to opt for docs that practice close to home? It is very important to us that our doctor has privileges at the closest hospital, and that the doc office is a sane drive away when the kids are sick.

I have to drive to Airport Rd. every other week for my youngest's allergy shot- what a PIA. I can't imagine doing that with young, sick kids for pediatrician visits. Believe me, I would kiss the feet of an allergist who would practice full time in South Walton- killing half a day for an office visit is for the birds.

agreed. I used to drive to White Wilson because that was the closest - by far. and when my kid was that small of course I would drive that far any day that I needed to - and I did it quite often - even for just a cold just to rule out strep or whatever. Poor Dr Allen used to start showing me how to look all the way down the kids throat and what to look for, etc. I didn't listen. just kept driving over.

I'm not very happy about some changes and growth happening to my little town over the years (some would say its progress). but having grocery stores and excellent medical facilities is growth we all appreciate.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
It's absolutely wonderful that there are now pediatricians, and other doctors, an ER, and a birth unit close to us. I would even consider Airport Road in Destin close! So much has changed since ShallowsSquirt came along. All my doctor's visits were in FWB...when I went into labor, I had the pleasure of being curled up in the back seat having contractions all the way to Fort Walton Beach Medical Center (barely got there :blush:) and then his pediatrician was in FWB.

Of course, I was used to it, because that's all we had ever known. But now I'm spoiled - except for my eye doctor (who has been my doctor since I was 12) and my gyn (who delivered Squirt), everybody else is out here.

Oh yeah - 17 years later, Squirt's choice is Dr. Patrick Ferry. :D

rblessed1031

Beach Lover
Jul 14, 2008
Dune Allen
This has been a great thread. Thank you all again for voicing your opinions. We went with Susie Fitzharris' office and saw Dr. Viatore. Our reasoning is that they are close to the closest hospital and that would be the first place we would go in an emergency no matter what. Added with the fact that they hold spots each day to see sick kids sealed the deal. A friend of mine has a pediatrician that does not reserve spots for sick kids and she is frustrated much of the time. I love that they are close!

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
Dr. Ferry IS the best! :D Big heart and wonderful mind.

olive

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2005
The pediatric care we received when we lived there was unparelled and I REALLY miss it! We still talk about how much we miss Dr. Ferry and Dr. Fitzharris. I have never received care like that and am a little afraid I never will again.