• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

justhavinfun

Beach Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
Eastern Lake
So the current property owner wants to give the land to the county for "Free" - All they want in return is a boat storage facility AKA Marina

This contribution by the developer is based on the proposed boat storage facility that will pay for park upkeep and maintenance as well as provide for a 24-hour attendant onsite for park safety.

EZ4144

Beach Lover
Aug 6, 2005
So the current property owner wants to give the land to the county for "Free" - All they want in return is a boat storage facility AKA Marina

This contribution by the developer is based on the proposed boat storage facility that will pay for park upkeep and maintenance as well as provide for a 24-hour attendant onsite for park safety.
a way to try and get a commercial project that otherwise wouldn't be approved?

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Board of County Commissioners Meeting Agenda

Date: Tuesday, May 26,2020
Time: 9:00 AM

25. ASF-029-Pdf Gary Shipman - Historic Santa Rosa Beach Landing Consider receiving donation of real property for use as a public park, subject to conditions stated in Contract

9. Project: The conceptual project commonly known as Historic Santa Rosa Landing, andmodifications thereto, that may include some or all of the Improvements as depicted on Exhibit 2 attached to and incorporated into this Contract. The Parties agree that part of the incentive for each of them to enter this Contract is to accommodate the future development of the Real Property according to the conceptual Project.

12. Approval of Land Use. Within one hundred and twenty (120) days after the Effective Date, County shall consider a change to the land use and zoning designation of the Waterside Parcel to Parks and Recreation. This change of land use and zoning designation, along with approval of any Ancillary Commercial Use(s) as conditional uses, is a condition precedent to the Fee Simple Conveyance. County is permanently prohibited from revoking the land use designation of Parks and Recreation without consent of Waterside. Furthermore, this provision shall survive the closing of the transactions contemplated in this Contract.

justhavinfun

Beach Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
Eastern Lake
Why????? Ask yourself, why would the developer just "DONATE" property to the county - in return, the county needs to change the land code? Hired gun as a attorney who knows all the in's and out's of presenting and getting things changed.. When does it end?

justhavinfun

Beach Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
Eastern Lake
Bob, If you read the initial press release and subsequent notes and posts, it seems the land codes must again be manipulated to accommodate a development and the deal sweetener is the land donation. We currently have a boat launch and park nearby so I would question if another one is needed. I have seen firsthand how the county has no regard for the codes and also vote in favor of granting a "Hardship Variance" to a property owner with this attorney leading the charge. I am not against a new marina if that is what the Walton County citizens want but I am dead against developers incenting the county to change a land code and using a land donation to make it happen. Quid Pro Quo Maybe???

Lou Deman

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2017
South Walton
After some quick research on the property appraisers site:
It appears that Waterside Investors has purchased 60 lots over the last 16 years in this immediate area in 8 purchases for a cost of about $1.46 to $2.46 million
Another LLC from the same small town in Georgia bought 6 lots (in 1 purchase) for $15k
If the map above is correct they are going to give the county 18 lots for a park
The question is what will the other lots be used for? and what impact will this have on the area and environment

In order to be transparent I live in the immediate area and do not want to see more pressure put on this small cove.
As stated above there is already a boat ramp and park about 1,000 feet away

If this will be good for the community simple state what the intentions with the land (not given to the county) will be and let the community decide if we want it or not.
Nothing is being said about additional traffic or infrastructure changes to 13th street or the small bridge on Wilson Street

Something seems very permanent about the statement below from the Board of Commissioners

12. Approval of Land Use. Within one hundred and twenty (120) days after the Effective Date, County shall consider a change to the land use and zoning designation of the Waterside Parcel to Parks and Recreation. This change of land use and zoning designation, along with approval of any Ancillary Commercial Use(s) as conditional uses, is a condition precedent to the Fee Simple Conveyance. County is permanently prohibited from revoking the land use designation of Parks and Recreation without consent of Waterside. Furthermore, this provision shall survive the closing of the transactions contemplated in this Contract.

leeboy

Beach Lover
Aug 19, 2015
After some quick research on the property appraisers site:
It appears that Waterside Investors has purchased 60 lots over the last 16 years in this immediate area in 8 purchases for a cost of about $1.46 to $2.46 million
Another LLC from the same small town in Georgia bought 6 lots (in 1 purchase) for $15k
If the map above is correct they are going to give the county 18 lots for a park
The question is what will the other lots be used for? and what impact will this have on the area and environment

In order to be transparent I live in the immediate area and do not want to see more pressure put on this small cove.
As stated above there is already a boat ramp and park about 1,000 feet away

If this will be good for the community simple state what the intentions with the land (not given to the county) will be and let the community decide if we want it or not.
Nothing is being said about additional traffic or infrastructure changes to 13th street or the small bridge on Wilson Street

Something seems very permanent about the statement below from the Board of Commissioners

Without judgement, the plan is probably to build as many housing units as possible with a marina and dry storage as an amenity.
All I know about marinas is what I have heard over the years...that it is extremely hard to get one approved. I assume that is primarily about getting on dock fueling. I assume this marina would be one where you fuel on land and launch boats from storage. However I am speculating only. I imagine any kind of on site fueling is very hard to get approved. Unless the county has a loophole for that.