Policy on Personal Beach Chairs vs Vendor

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by dragonflycafe, Jun 18, 2016.

1. FactorFiction

FactorFiction Beach Fanatic

Attached Files:

2. BlueMtnBeachVagrant

BlueMtnBeachVagrant Beach Fanatic

Looks a good conversation taking place here. Most of you already know how I feel about this topic. Again nobody who is polarized regarding this topic (private/public/custom) will have their minds changed by anything said by anyone, anytime or anywhere. I just hope we can remain civil when we run into each other at the Blue Mountain Creamery.

Lucas, your succinct factual presentation is like looking at artwork. Some don't understand it. But for those who do, it is a work of beauty. Are you a lawyer? Never mind, don't answer that.

Quick question for anyone...regarding the Beach_Ownership map above, why in the world does Pennsylvania have a color?

3. Lucas Reynolds

Lucas Reynolds Beach Lover

Already asked and answered on page 12. Nope not a lawyer. Just an informed supporter of the Constitution and property rights.

You are likely right. It's hard to unfreeze positions if you don't know the facts. The Walton BCC should be leading the way to get the facts out and educate the public about property rights starting with themselves instead of polarizing the the issues like in the recent primaries. Education, not hyperbole, uninformed opinion and name calling will help.

4. Truman

Truman Beach Fanatic

You drove right past the point at full speed.

5. Lucas Reynolds

I get it. If everyone would be one with nature like it was in the past, life would be simpler, and we would not have private property and strife and everyone would be happy. Wonderful sentiment but not realistic in today’s world or in history. There was as much or more strife for native peoples as there are now. Let’s deal with today; I’m at peace with that. I’m glad you weren’t advocating taking rights property owners have earned and are recognized today because the only way is to turn back time. You can’t unscramble the omelet. Not sure I’d want to go back, not learn more about the world, and not experience the wonders of today that was not available in the past. Time stands still for no one. Besides I’d rather get my oysters and protein from the restaurant.

6. m1a1mg

m1a1mg Beach Fanatic

The banana pudding ice cream is so dang good.

While it may seem as though some people's versions of "facts", sound good, I asked the person who told me that the MHWL was not the simple answer in most places to explain SC laws. Instead, I got the link: Code of Laws - Title 48 - Chapter 39 - Coastal Tidelands And Wetlands

There is no clear and irrefutable law on this. In fact, SC has gone all the way to the USS, and lost, on this very issue after they changed the laws regarding building on the beach. And yes, SC does allow private beach, in limited areas, primarily on outer islands.

But what really matters is this. I can walk the entire length of Isle of Palms and only see signs marking private property on wooden beach walks. So you have to ask yourself, why can the people of Isle of Palms share their beach, and their front yards, while the people of SoWal demand that theirs be kept private?

7. Truman

Truman Beach Fanatic

No you don't get it and you likely never will.

8. Lucas Reynolds

Enlighten us Truman Burbank. You seem to be the only one that knows what your point is.

9. FactorFiction

FactorFiction Beach Fanatic

10. BlueMtnBeachVagrant

BlueMtnBeachVagrant Beach Fanatic

Is it possibly because they have been renourished? And I assume (sincerely hope) you mean the sandy beach when you say share "their front yards".

Beach Restoration - Isle of Palms

11. m1a1mg

m1a1mg Beach Fanatic

SC has an additional standard of erosion zones.

Isle of Palms allows parking in front yards.

12. Lucas Reynolds

Is parking in owners front yard allowed for the state of SC or IoP only? You can park on the public right of way but not on private property. Please backup your facts. Beach Access & Parking - Isle of Palms

13. m1a1mg

m1a1mg Beach Fanatic

Road-right-of-ways are areas that the owners on IoP voted to allow. Guess people aren't as greedy here as there.

14. Lucas Reynolds

M1, the public right-of way (RoW) is public property, not private property. You can park on the 30A right-of-way, in front of private beachfront property today, next to a bike path, as long as you don't value your or your family's safety of getting run over, and voters/owners didn't even have to vote to park on the 30A RoW.
    How gracious (not greedy) is that of Walton beachfront owners? Seriously, get over the greedy, selfish, elite, we vs them name calling and just respect individual property rights owners have had and have today. Enjoy the 6+ miles of Walton public beaches and 5,000 acres of public parks. Makes you look misinformed and envious.

15. m1a1mg

m1a1mg Beach Fanatic

I understand RoW. What you describe is not what exists on IoP. The parking on IoP STARTS 4 ' from the road. While owner's may have ownership rights, they aren't running around chasing people away. Like they do in SoWal. There is a red line painted along Palm Blvd. 4' from the road. It is packed with cars. Every few houses, a path runs from the road to the beach.

It's simple, there are greedy people who run screaming from their homes when anyone comes near their yards or beach front in SoWal. I've experienced it personally. It didn't used to be that way. But as people build bigger houses along the beach to impress, God knows who, the sharing has gone away.

Envious of greedy people who won't share the beach? Yeah, not so much. You seem to want to represent them Lucas. So, I'm guessing you must be one of them. I'll be back living there in a couple of years. I'll be the guy pushing to change bad laws.

16. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

Looks like beach vendors will be pushed aw

17. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

Beach Vendors will be a huge revenue driver for HOA / COA's that "own" their beach. They pay these Associations big $$$ to vend on their beaches.

Why don't we have business licenses? Do we not want to know who is collecting revenue off of the beaches? After all, we all own them right? (Customary Use). If I have a right to all the beach (as per customary use) then I want to know who profits from it and I'd like to see the details... Follow the $$$.

You are watching the systematic disassembly of the area. If a Better South Walton had a way to fight this, I'd jump on their train, toot their horn and give them $.

18. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

Since a significant part of this discussion surrounds "Enforcement", or the apparent, lack there of, I thought I'd let you know that the 2015/2016 TDC Code Enforcement stats are in.

I'm hoping someone will post the entire report.

With numbers such as approximately 1200 contacts with people for glass on beach violations and only two (2) citations issued and approximately 2100 contacts for dog on beach violations and only nine (9) citations issued, it is very easy to see that we have and have had a serious issue with enforcement...

Not only does non-enforcement send the wrong message to everyone (tourists included), it's a missed opportunity at generating some additional revenue that could go right back to the beach access upkeep or another project.

Why such poor stats? Did BCC Members or someone else, instruct the Code Officers NOT to issue fines? Just verbal or written warnings...

We need clear, firm, fair and consistent Enforcement.

19. BeachSteelers

BeachSteelers Beach Fanatic

Yep, see the truth above and follow the $$$! Raking in cash and storing their vending on public beaches and no licensing fees? With the amount of head scratching Sh!t that goes on here How do I retain my hair? Nonsense after nonsense, could it ever get to reasonable and legal someday like well run normal communities?

20. LarsAtTheBeach

LarsAtTheBeach Beach Fanatic

Nope.