• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
FPL is literally charging current customers for their purchase of Gulf Power. I'm sure all the capitalist lovers out there love paying two to three times what CHELCO charges.

Probably the most insulting thing is to keep getting ads in the mail from FPL for wiring insurance and other super scammy solicitations.

All the while knowing they have their eyes squarely on CHELCO and it's customer base.
Yes that is their plan! Monopoly utility companies and monopoly insurance companies are here in this State and consumer watch dog groups seem to be having it's members replaced with retired lobbyist. Seems fishy to me...

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
We don't want the lines because Hwy 331 is a hurricane evacuation route. We don't want the lines because they are an eye sore on a scenic Hwy. If we need the lines then they should put them in the ground. FPL has a lot of money and power and we all know what that means. I am already seeing movement with surveying and relocation efforts to move billboard signs. What is interesting is no permits have been applied for. Why do they believe they do not have to go through the proper channels of approval?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
We don't want the lines because Hwy 331 is a hurricane evacuation route. We don't want the lines because they are an eye sore on a scenic Hwy. If we need the lines then they should put them in the ground. FPL has a lot of money and power and we all know what that means. I am already seeing movement with surveying and relocation efforts to move billboard signs. What is interesting is no permits have been applied for. Why do they believe they do not have to go through the proper channels of approval?

They were approved when they were granted the easement along the road. Utilities rarely need permits.

bob1

Beach Fanatic
Jun 26, 2010
Maybe they don’t want the lines, because it will interfere with restaurants on south of bridge
I haven't seen plans. Will they go over the top of the restaurant?

They're going to be an eyesore in land also. Pay attention and you'll notice utilities are allowed to blight nearly every community.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Whom does this line serve? Most of the FPL services land south of the bay has been developed. I believe JOE doesn't want the existing line that customer through Origins and their other property along Hwy 98. Of course the BCC can't demonize them.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Whom does this line serve? Most of the FPL services land south of the bay has been developed. I believe JOE doesn't want the existing line that customer through Origins and their other property along Hwy 98. Of course the BCC can't demonize them.
That's probably it. Right now the main high voltage line comes through land that St. Joe would rather see as full of their development products. The line over the Bay would probably replace the existing line.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
That's probably it. Right now the main high voltage line comes through land that St. Joe would rather see as full of their development products. The line over the Bay would probably replace the existing line.
FPL just wants to monopolize our electric service. They are trying to take Chelco's customer base. They do have to have permits and easements because their lines extend over public and private land.
They were approved when they were granted the easement along the road. Utilities rarely need permits.
Only Chelco has the easement. FPL has not yet applied for permits which are required.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
FPL just wants to monopolize our electric service. They are trying to take Chelco's customer base. They do have to have permits and easements because their lines extend over public and private land.

Only Chelco has the easement. FPL has not yet applied for permits which are required.

They share easements elsewhere and it's literally just an agreement between the utilities. Planning won't be involved unless they build a structure.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I would be very surprised if Chelco shared their utility easement but strange things do happen when a lot of money is involved. I would not doubt that FPL does not have to pull permits along Hwy 331. I am not surprised by anything much anymore. We may not like what they are doing but unless we fight them they will do whatever they please.