• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
LOL, Tree Frog, we don't want you to get banned. (I believe it's two syllables, no hyphen.)

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
I can see both sides of the coin here. We used to be beachfront homeowners and our deed said we owned the property to the Gulf, period. We had absolutely no problem letting folks use our beach but we insisted they left it the way they found it but that wasn't the case. They left huge holes, beach chairs and umbrella's were left behind in spite of our sign to take them up each night so we did dispose of them as our sign stated, tons of cigarette butt's were dumped on our sugar white sand, litter of every kind was found each morning and dog poop as well. I could go on and on but you get the general idea. And may I add that was more than 9 years ago when we were not getting the volume of people that are visiting us now. I have seen the condition our visitors leave our beach and it's not pretty so my guess is these people are getting a jump on our upcoming tourist season. However, the question of public verses private beach still has not been decided in the courts so those signs are not legal. We have several in Seacrest but I can understand why but
"two wrongs don't make a right" as Momma used to say! What we do need is for Walton County to enforce our beach ordinance that has been on the books since 2003 and that way these homeowners wouldn't be so intent on protecting their piece of paradise.

Last edited:

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
tsutcli, I wonder how many of these folks that post these signs are motivated by bring tired of cleaning up after inconsiderate vacationers versus how many of them are simply saying "this is mine and you can't use it"?

Whoever made the original decision to let the property lines be at the wet sand instead of at the CCL made a huge misstep, IMHO.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
tsutcli, I wonder how many of these folks that post these signs are motivated by bring tired of cleaning up after inconsiderate vacationers versus how many of them are simply saying "this is mine and you can't use it"?

Whoever made the original decision to let the property lines be at the wet sand instead of at the CCL made a huge misstep, IMHO.

Funny you should mention that. The vast majority of wet sand property lines are borderline illegal and being investigated by the AG. Property owners simply quit claim deeded that space to themselves.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
About that "wet sand" portion that is supposed to be public, that cannot be enforced either. An attorney friend of mine mentioned that the water line changes EVERY single day so in order to enforce it they would need a legal survey daily. I was told if I was ever stopped to request a survey and that would put an end to it immediately. I have been walking our beaches here for 14 years, minimum 6 miles, summer and winter and I have never been stopped yet. Better not be either because this is the defense I would use.

Last edited:

chanster

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
This correct. To be legal in a court of law the land would have to be surveyed daily to get a 100% legal property line. The beach is the only place were the legal property line changes daily. I guess one could hire a survey daily 365 days a yr.

tangonater

Beach Crab
Apr 21, 2012
I spent some time trying to research this a while back and I seem to recall the Sowal Sheriff permits an egress at either 10 or 20 feet landward from the "wet sand". Anybody else ever hear that?