• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
To clarify, "the county" does not have access to the list of bed tax collectors maintained by the Clerk's office, as it is confidential under F.S. 213.053...so any database of rental owners would be completely separate from the tax records.

I'm still curious as to who would be placed in charge of this.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Didn't this all start because people were complaining about people misusing their property? I don't think the commissioners just decided to pick one of the most controversial issues out of nowhere. This started when people complained to their commissioners and they are now attempting to deal with the problem. If you don't like the FIRST draft go to the meetings and offer constructive input, or better yet stop complaining to government about a problem and then complain more when they listen and try to fix it.

Or the county could start enforcing the laws, ordinances, and statutes that are currently in place and then see if there really is a problem. I always find it curious that when people fail to follow a law the first response from government is to pass another one. Most lawbreakers I know have a much higher tolerance for the number of violations they are willing to commit than one or two.

Elephant Child

Beach Lover
Aug 11, 2010
Not sure, but think a lot of folks rent their places and do it via the web. They set up the short time rentals, tell them where the key is, etc. They collect the check. The renters have no supervision or formal check in...those living near the short term renters (Spring Breakers are the worse) have to deal with the noise, the trash, the garbage etc. There is no one to contact other than the police when things get out of hand. Perhaps this draft came out of situations like this. I know in my neighborhood we had several homes that were rented to teenagers. They arive, they partied, they did teenage type "Stuff" in the yard, on the porches and in the pool. Somehow they had abundance of beer. They ignored neighbors that asked them to be quiet, had several visits from local police, and not one parent in sight. And no landlord to call. Again, there are many situations but perhaps it is these that our County Commissioners are wishing to try to correct I have no rentals...but I do live near rentals.

Elephant Child

Beach Lover
Aug 11, 2010
Walton county commissioners:
Walton County, FL - Home Page - Commissioners

Perhaps microchip implants into the visitors might be a better solution.
Seriously commissioners, you insult the intelligence of the residents of walton county.
View attachment 18213

interested in your opinion as to how "some control and providing a contact" might be insulting...as a resident who lives in a neighborhood surrounded by short time renters, some great, some so-so, and some weekly visitors from hell...I would really love to hear your opinion. I honestly would.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Motion passed last night to revise the draft.

District 4 County Commissioner Sara Comander:

"I?m not fully convinced this draft addresses the problems that I feel like need to be addressed. Those are noise, parking, and disturbance of the peace.

We need the planning department and legal department to work together to bring us back in ordinance and not only address the issues of the wedding houses, noise, and parking problems; but also address land use. Either way, is it proper land use that's going on and how we can address those problems??

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Once again, it appears, a voice of reason on the Commission.

lms47

Beach Lover
Apr 23, 2008
Freeport, FL
AMEN! Seems Commander is the only one that ever reads and thinks about the proposed changes, thank goodness we have her.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
She seems to be the only one that understands it's a job and not a fun title with prize money.