• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I get Walmart rage - if I have to go to that store for anything (thankfully a very infrequent occurrence) I need to be left alone for several hours afterward so my blood pressure can return to normal and I can love my fellow human beings again.

Publix I avoid during peak times like holidays and check-in day.

You pay more at Publix, Winn-Dixie, or Bruno's than Walmart, but I think Walmart is going to be the downfall of this country so I feel it's worth it.

ATJoe

Beach Lover
May 10, 2007
Westfield, IN
If going to Walmart is a must for you, take a Valium before you go.

I typically avoid them like the plague, however, I'm concerned fate will conspire against me in this case. My wife half-heartedly jokes that if she could stick a needle in my WM induced, throbbing forehead vein, I could pump blood a record distance. :pissed: Valium it is. :D :D

danhall

Beach Lover
Jul 14, 2006
danhallstudio.com
isn't there also a Winn-Dixie and a Bruno's (?) right near there as well? Wal-Mart will never get a dime of my money. It is not smart to feed a cancer such as this. Publix is certainly the lesser evil.

It makes me sad when people think they MUST go to Wal-Mart for some or another reason. I come from a very small town, and the Supercenter there pretty much ruined our quaint little downtown area.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
DanHall, good point. If you want beach crap (plastic toys, swimsuits, sunglasses, towels, tee-shirts, floats, sunscreen, chairs, floaties, etc, there are several that specialize in that sort of thing, right around the WinnDixie area in Sandestin, and Publix even carries some of that stuff, like masks, snorkle, fins, etc.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
isn't there also a Winn-Dixie and a Bruno's (?) right near there as well? Wal-Mart will never get a dime of my money. It is not smart to feed a cancer such as this. Publix is certainly the lesser evil.

It makes me sad when people think they MUST go to Wal-Mart for some or another reason. I come from a very small town, and the Supercenter there pretty much ruined our quaint little downtown area.

There is a Winn-Dixie and a Brunos nearby Camping on the Gulf, but I don't recommend them. Publix is clearly the best and only choice for us. Great selection, fresh food, nice people. There are also many checkins on Sunday, so Sunday afternoons should be avoided.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
OK, having done my good deed and given factual and objective advice, I'll join in on the anti-Wal Mart ranting.

<rant mode on>

If you don't like Wal-Mart, don't go there. You don't HAVE to go there. I never go there. Everything they stock is available somewhere else. Here's how you avoid it:
Groceries - Publix, Winn Dixie, Lahan's Carrousel
Drugs and toiletries - Walgreens, CVS, Santa Rosa Pharmacy
Hardware - Home Depot, Franks, Home Helpers
Auto parts - Advance Auto
Beach Junk - Alvin's Island and various clones
Books and CDs - SunDog, Barnes and Noble, Amazon
Home furnishings - Target, Bed Bath Beyond

As a plus, by buying at these other outlets, you have at least a chance that you get quality goods instead of cheap Chinese crap.

<rant mode off>

ATJoe

Beach Lover
May 10, 2007
Westfield, IN
Arkiegirl-I am betting that you come down into Destin via the mid-bay bridge. You might consider going a few exits further east to the HWY 331 exit and go to the Super Wal-Mart in Defuniak Springs. The Wal-Mart is a stones throw north of I-10 and there are zero tourists there. You can stock up there and then go down 331 into SOWAL. Just a thought.:D

At the risk of running this thread aground.....I had planned to take the mid-bay bridge into Destin and head east to Sandestin. Would the directions Skunkape notes above or a route taking 20 to 331 be better given our estimated Saturday mid-afternoon arrival in Destin? :dunno: I'm a little concerned about traffic at the mid-bay bridge and east bound on 98.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Taking 20 to 331 will not help you avoid going to Walmart, so "better" is a state of mind for you to determine. My guess is that going your route on hwy 20, you will still hit some traffic in Niceville.